“Best Hostel Ever”

GreenLeadersBronze level
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“Best Hostel Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Easily the best hostel I've ever stayed in during my 4 years in the UK. 10 minute walk from High Street, easy to find. Smiles welcomed my friend and me and we were immediately awed by the customer service. We skipped out on the hostel's movie night (they have an event every night) for some dinner in town (Raj - great Indian food), but upon our return were welcomed to play pool in the hostel's backyard and even brought cake and beer by management just because. The beds were comfortable, but the shower - my only complaint - was weak. Plenty of hot water, but not a lot of pressure. They let us leave our luggage while we explored Canterbury the following day before departing. I would definitely recommend this hostel and will be sure to stay there in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Middle East
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

Little to say. The staff seemed to be helpful. The dorm was a bit small, but okay. Try to arrive early and get to know people...I arrived late and had a bad experience with a fellow who woke me up at 4.00 AM. One of those things really. After a little moral persuasion from me, the management did the right thing and refunded me the second night, which I cancelled at less than 48 hrs notice, which was highly commendable.

Room Tip: Well, just get to know your fellow dorm mouses in advance. It helps.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

The room was spacious, CLEAN, well outfitted. It felt so welcoming, the way the room was set up for guests with towels and the information book and the nice beds. The entire hostel was very clean and cosy. You could just tell that Kipps was actually cleaned! Comfy beds. Friendly employees. Big, clean kitchen for guest use. Great value and great price. Kipps is the best hostel at which I have stayed. I missed Kipps sorely once we arrived at our next hostel/pigsty on our trip...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren S
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

This was my first experience of a hostel and although the place seemed very nice, the people were friendly and the grounds were great, it's really nothing like staying in a hotel!

I had no choice (as it was fully booked) to stay in a female dorm. It seemed a little small but was what I expected really, I was just glad I got a single bed in the middle of the room rather than a bunk bed!
The shower and toilet room was not that nice really rather dated, and my bedding looked a little stained, however they did lend me a towel as I had forgotten mine.

The kitchen, living room & dinning room were nice a clean and of good size. They were all also very well equipt, with TV DVD, computer internet, free coffee and tea, access to all the kitchen appliances needed, so overal very nice. I enjoyed spending time in their beautiful garden! The kitchen closed at 11pm which was annoying for me, but the living room was open until 1am to socialise quietly.

If you are used to hostels I'm sure this is a really good one and the staff were helpful although at times you weren't sure if they were guest or staff, but nice atmosphere, seemed relaxed, and they had parking facilaties. I think I would have enjoyed more if I was able to get a single room to myself.

Room Tip: Book a siungle room early, or get a group of you and book a whole dorm.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Alsfeld, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

Though staying in hostels with a group of 20 and more students on a school trip can sometimes be a bit trying here we found an amazingly warm welcome and encountered a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere. All the "freebies" on offer were also a great help with a rather low budget as were all the advice and support by a terrific staff with organising activities locally.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at this small hostel located about 1km from the centre of Canterbury, in a quiet residential street. Our double room was at the back of the hostel overlooking the pretty garden. The hostel has a lovely country feel, is very clean, quiet & peaceful. We were not disturbed by noisy guests or loud parties, as their rules are quite strict about noise after 11pm, so this is an ideal place if you want peace & quiet. We were among a number of older guests during our stay, so didn't feel out of place, and were made to feel very welcome by the staff, who made suggestions on transport, places to visit and restaurants. There is a very homely front lounge room with a terrific selection of DVD's and books, with free wi-fi. Really enjoyed our stay there and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

KiPPs hostel is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. All the staff are friendly and entertaining - I didn't even realise some of them worked here for a while. The distance from Canterbury City Centre means that it's great for anyone visiting on business or for pleasure. The staff were helpful and actually fed me quite a lot (on cake night, sausage night and pancake night... so many pancakes...) to the point where I didn't often feed myself.

Kipps offers for free things that their only local competition, YHA, charges for, such as internet access and towel rental. I made several friends here and I know I'm not the only one who is sad to leave. If I ever have business in Canterbury again I will certainly be staying at Kipps - it is far more enjoyable than hotels that cost five times as much.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business