“grubby cinema screens and poor service”
Review of Odeon

Ranked #13 of 13 Fun & Games in Canterbury
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“grubby cinema screens and poor service”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Although an old cinema which has potenital to be a great environment the screens feel unloved, particularly in contrast with the new addition of the costas in the foyer. Don't often go here as it is not a pleasant experience and something only to be suffered if its a film I really want to see on release. Screen one is damp and if I do go here I always avoid booking this screen which is a shame as this is the old one.

The last time we had some shocking service here when going to see skyfall. Booked as a special outing with the boyfriend in advance, I already had my tickets but due to a projector breaking down (which we found out after the screening) they had swopped round the screenings earlier that day which just led to chaos of customers not knowing what was going on, which screens they were meant to be in and no idea where they were sitting as seats numbers where wrong and all over the place. After being turned away from the screening room, we then queued to find out what was going on only to be told we were now in screen one (the one i dont like - disappointment already) and we had different seats -number scribbled on existing tickets by hand (sinking feeling) which were alright but not great.

I couldn't help feeling sorry for the staff who had obviously made a bad call and were now looking harrassed, fed up to the point of giving up and had a poor approach to communicating why this was all happening. I will not be going back if I can help it.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jesschirps

Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Small and dirty looking”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The theater its self is standard, the over-all places is small and can't show all the new films as soon as they are out which led me to be disappointed after waiting 2 weeks for a film to come out then a few extra days for orange Wednesdays to find out that it still isn't being shown yet at this cinema. When you walk in it doesn't look like anything special it looks like it could do with getting re-decorated and cleaned. The staff could do with having more energy and looking like they want to be there, I know its not a life goal to work there but at least look like they enjoy it and us manners.

Visited November 2011
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Dirty...”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The odeon has recently had a new Costa move into the reception area but sadly the company hasnt bothered with the rest of the cinema. It is very tired looking, the seats are worn and dated and the whole place seems generally dirty. They have premier seats but my kids cant see over the top of the row in front when we bought some so not worth the money. None of the normal seats have cup holders so cups/drinks go on the floor and get kicked over making the floor sticky. The main screen is an amazing old building but again left to look sad and old. Even though we live in Canterbury the kids prefer the cineword at Ashford or Vue at WX as they are more modern. Shame really as could be wonderful.

Visited August 2012
London
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Small cinema, very nice staff”
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Went here in August, went to buy tickets in advance in the foyer, but had go back home and buy from the Internet, I had a wasted trip, they have a coffee area and food and drinks but no clear area or till for purchasing tickets. It is a little tatty. On the other hand the staff were pleasant and helpful and that is why I have given the three stars rather than two

Canterbury, United Kingdom
218 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 333 helpful votes
“Dull and a Rip-off especially for food & drink”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I love going to movies but every time I go to The Odeon I come out annoyed by the overriding sense of being tackily ripped off. I go here only when there is no other choice.

Visited May 2012