“Regularly fabulous food”
Review of The Forge Bistro & Cafe - CLOSED

The Forge Bistro & Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Open all day,serving nibbles and small plates,grazing platters, cakes and homemade cookies, lunch menu also available. Carefully selected wine list and amazing cocktails
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've been coming here regularly with friends since it opened about a year ago, it's by far and away our favourite restaurant in Canterbury.

The food is always delicious. Because of the tapas-style of the place, you get a very good mix of tastes and flavours. I'm quite the carnivore, but the vegetarian dishes are *so* lovely, they're always the first dishes I choose. And I really like the venue. on a busy night you get a good vibe to the place but it's small enough still to be intimate. It's definite worth the two minute walk over the inner ring road for people who may not venture out of the centre of Canterbury.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I visited The Forge with friends on a trip down from London, and was very impressed with the service, menu and quality of food, in particular the vegetable tempura, which was better than what I have experienced in China Town!

I love the tapas/meze style that The Forge offers, I can highly recommend the vegetarian platter which was delectable as well as good value for money.

The service was pleasing and the choice of cocktails mouth watering.

I will be visiting Canterbury again soon, and am already looking forward to meeting the charming hostess, sitting in the quaint surroundings, mulling over the tasty menu and sampling the equisite desserts.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My friends and I have been eating at The Forge Bistro and Cafe regularly since it opened about a year ago and just absolutely love everything about it. The lady who owns the restaurant clearly has a real passion for food and also really knows her stuff when it comes to creating amazingly tasty combinations for her dishes. I have literally never ordered a bad dish in this restaurant - everything you order is a treat for your tastebuds!
The Forge really does have something for everyone as it seems to strike the perfect balance between keeping favourites on the menu but also adding new dishes in to add variety if you eat there often. I am a meat eater and love their meat and fish based dishes and yet still regularly choose to eat from the vegetarian menu as this restaurant pays far more attention to making the veggie food outstanding than anywhere else I've been.
The staff are consistently friendly, attentive, helpful (but not too much as can be the case in other places!) and their memory for what you like as regulars is astounding.
The owners cannot do enough for you in terms of making this one of the most pleasurable dining experiences you are ever likely to have and I cannot recommend eating here highly enough. If you haven't been before - make a booking now! And if you have, then you'll already know what I'm talking about and have no doubt returned many times as I have - after all, if you find a place as good as this on your doorstep - why wouldn't you?!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Firstly, I can say that the restaurant itself is very nice - well decorated and laid out, so no problems there. Also a warm cosy atmosphere.

9 of us had dinner here. We ordered a selection of the tapas style menu (which is quite limited). Olives came first, costing £3.50 for 8 olives...which is just unbelievable. None of our other "nibbles" arrived, and we were told later that they had been given to other members of our group at the end of the long table. Our friends were not to know as the portion sizes were so small even for Tapas.

The waitress had written down that three of us were ordering together - she even drew a diagram of the table, but still got this wrong. When we complained, an older lady laughed - "ha! Someone else must have eaten it". Unsurprisingly, didn't find this very funny.

Waited what seemed like an eternity to receive the bill, then another eternity after which none of the staff bothered to come and collect payment, so we made the effort ourselves and paid downstairs without leaving a tip.

Left the restaurant hungry and annoyed and I will not be returning.

3  Thank lovelyjubbly44
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Forge is a little out of the main city centre but still well within walking distance and plenty of nearby car parking.
We used to go when it was under various previous owners and we have to say that the new owners have made the restaurant much a much more inviting and space and the food (a variety of tapas) is really tasty and well priced. We also liked the option of buying wine by a carafe as well as by the glass or bottle.
We have been twice since opening and will definitely go back.