“Would not recommend staying here”

Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
London
“Would not recommend staying here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This place is stuck in the mid 80s with levels of customer service to match.
The rooms themselves were fine, but as another reviewer has commented, you seem to be given the smallest rooms with the poorest outlook unless you demand otherwise. (Incidentally the renovation work seems to have halted although the unsightly building work is still visible.) Housekeeping around the public areas is poor- tables are left uncleared and are dirty. Some staff are rather rude. The hotel caters for functions and outside groups, and you get the impression that the place relies on these to keep ticking over. While we were there we had a funeral party which took up most of the public areas so residents had little choice of where to sit for tea. Noisy children were left to run around, including up and down stairs and along residents' corridors, with no intervention from the very young staff. We were also turfed out of the bar one evening by a woman who was setting up a speed dating session! Again, no staff intervention here, although it is hardly surprising as there don't appear to be many of them, and they are mostly young students from abroad with little experience of customer care.
I attempted to discuss these issues with the General Manager but she seems rather elusive. Attempts to speak to her in person and subsequently by telephone have proved difficult, although I have at last received a lengthy email from her making excuses for every single point I raised. (So there is no need to respond to this review, Mrs Cooper.) I notice that she tends to respond to any negatives on Tripadvisor similarly... If she were to spend half the time it takes her to write such nonsense on here putting right some of the complaints some of us have made, she might have a better hotel to manage with some consistantly pleasing reviews. After all, as dissatisfied customers, we can't all be wrong, can we?
Take a tip from me- look elsewhere to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Delius17
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I’ve taken note of all of your points with regards to the customer service issues you say you have experienced during your stay with us, please rest assured that we will act upon these and further training will be carried out with any members of staff where necessary.

I apologies if you felt I was defensive in my response to your letter however I wanted to make sure I covered each and every point that you made.

With regards to your comments about other reviews on TripAdvisor, we accept that negative comments are to be expected, I’ve yet to find a hotel with only positive reviews however we do take these as constructive and they are brought up regularly at our meetings so that we can improve the experience guests will receive.

Hopefully other users reading this will be able to make-up their own minds as to whether we are as consistently bad as you are portraying, I would like to think we wouldn’t be achieving mostly positive scores if this were the case but we do strive to improve when we find out that we haven’t met our guest expectations as seems to be the case here.

If you would like to discuss this further however, please feel free to contact me directly by email on christine.cooper@abbotsbartonhotel.com

Regards,

Christine Cooper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Rushden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

To look at the outside of this hotel you could be put off but it has been refurbished and more work is planned. The room we had looked recently decorated and it was spacious and it must have been the first room we have had where it is a double and they actually provide you with two chairs to sit on. If you want a hotel with great views then here you will not get them as this hotel is just 15 minutes walk from the charming city center of Canterbury, which is a bonus because parking at £1.50 plus per hour can work out expensive.
The staff were friendly, obliging and the food was excellent, we were on a 3 night leisure break which included dinner each night and the quality and choice we could not fault. If you only do B & B then plenty of places to eat in the city.
Two downsides - one was on two nights the hotel was being used by other groups from the area for meetings and it meant that guests could not use a lot of the lounge area, needs considering and secondly the sound proofing between rooms is not good and if people speak loudly in room next door (not shouting) you can hear their conversation as well as every movement.
Canterbury good base for exploring the eastern side of Kent. I am sure we will return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments today, my team and I are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.

The hotel is a delightful building and very traditional in style for Canterbury with its Gothic design. The old part was built in 1830 and this is where the bar area is situated.

The hotel is popular with all kinds of tourists, an ideal base for meetings as you have mentioned. We have a patio and terrace adjacent to the front lawn, which in the lovely sunshine we have been experiencing this summer, has lots of comfy seats to sit out and enjoy a drink or two.

The car park is quite unique for the city, we are very lucky to have this for the hotel and offer to our residents free of charge.

We are currently addressing the issue of the noise from the bedrooms and hope to rectify this when refurbishment takes place in the not to distant future.

We do look forward to you visiting Canterbury again and returning to the hotel.

Many thanks

essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked 2 nights for my grandsons wedding 9/8/13 my son was quoted £119 a night for executive room there was 5 couples staying 2 nights and many more for 1 night. we were charged £125 but was refunded when my son spoke to them
We arrived early and made some tea when went out for evening meal we requested some tea for our room on going to our room at 11 .30pm there was no tea and i decided to have a jacuzzi bath
I was showered with sand and grit ,dirt jumping out I tried to shower it off and the shower did not work by the time i washed in the sink it was too late to sort till the morning then I was off to have hair done etc no bath or shower for 2 days it was put right the shower was replaced and the dirt was something to do with a outside pump that had been replaced.
to add to our upset it seemed the volume of people in for breakfast overwhelmed them, my husband requested 2 kippers for breakfast and no eggs he was told norm is 1 they then said there was only one left so thats ok after 20 mins wondered what happened to the kipper well the fresh kippers are frozen so there was more than 1 a big fib then after 30 mins no kipper we asked to see a manager the manager is not in till Wed 14/8/13 but the person who spoke to us apologised and the manager will ring you leave all particulars at reception, then the kipper arrived with2 eggs well it is 2pm and so far no phone call today. i reall feel there should be some refund.
The staff were polite and the wedding reception was great it is a shame they cannot sort the mistakes
I would like to add a executive room was nice but could do with a fridge to keep water cold but a small hiccup

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review.

I do hope after our conversation today we have corrected the issues that you have bought to my attention and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel later in the year, where I feel sure that your experience will be more pleasurable than this stay.

We will ensure we have some kippers waiting for your breakfast, although when freshly cooked will take time.

It was unfortunate about the faulty Jacuzzi, but pleased that our maintenance man was able to correct the shower problem and you enjoyed the wedding, which was absolutely gorgeous.

Yorkshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights as Canterbury is a good centre for the SE coast. The rooms were very good and clean and the staff were excellent and extremely helpful, even to the extent of letting me know when a better parking spot was available. The hotel is in walking distance (15 to 20 minutes) of the city centre and cathedral. It has a in-house restaurant which was very good but a bit on the expensive side. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet as it is a distance from the main road. If there is a function on, then those fu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. My team and I are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We recently stayed at the Abbots Barton Hotel in Canterbury. On arrival we were allocated our room and we went upstairs. I noticed on the booking form a change of room number and wondered why this was....! We entered the room to find THE smallest bedroom we have ever stayed in. Although most things were there, no fridge or ironing board, it was a pleasant enough room until you looked out the window. We overlooked the waste ground at the back of the hotel. This wasn't at all pleasant. The hotel wasn't exactly full in fact I would say there were only a handful of guests staying so it left us a little confused as to why we had such a poor room. The menu choice wasnt good and the staff insisted on needing dinner being pre booked. The bed was awful. It was like a put you up. All metal and cheap not to mention being tiny to fit in the room. However, it was clean and the shower was fantastic. There were toiletries provided and tea and coffee facilities were excellent, even a teapot!! Would we stay there again if we came back - probably not but tif there was nothing else....maybe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the front of the hotel and lower floors - the rooms maybe bigger!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Hoofergp
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
I would like to thank you for your review on your stay at the hotel.

We have standard single & double/twin rooms, which are all of varying sizes dependant on the room type requested. The larger bedrooms would be the superior, deluxe and family rooms of which a higher rate would be required.

From your comment, I would say the room type you booked was a standard double room. Some rooms are front facing, others face the back area, which is currently going under development for a new extension to the hotel. My apologies that this was your outlook during your stay. I am sorry your bed was uncomfortable, it is quite a personal preference on hard or soft mattresses

The hotel is very busy through the summer season, it maybe the car park was not full with cars at the time you checked in. We do have tour groups visit the hotel also. We ask all our guests to book a dining time in the restaurant, so as not to cause disappointment.

I do hope you return to the hotel, perhaps an upgrade to a superior/executive room would be more suitable for your requirements.

Thank you once again.
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for my sons graduation. It is walking distance from city centre and has a quiet garden. The rooms were spotless and everything you could want for a delicious breakfast. All the staff were polite and attentive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to hear that all aspects of the hotel met your requirements for your visit to Canterbury for your sons graduation day.

Congratulations to him and we do hope you will return to visit the hotel in the not too distant future.

Barnsley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We spent 3 nights here over the graduation period. The hotel is sat slightly back from the road, which provides a spacious lawn (on which you can park if the car parking area is full) and means that the road noise is not noticeable. The hotel is traditionally decorated and the carpet in the high traffic areas is a little tired. However, there were some little touches that made me smile... the standard room supplies are in evidence (shampoo, shoe cleaner etc), but there was also a small 'beauty pack' with a few cotton buds, make up remover pads and a small nail file that was very handy and the cleaner had an artistic approach as the plug chains for the sink and the bath were coiled artfully around the plugs.

There is a decent sized TV in the room and complimentary wi-fi, which was easy to set up. I tend to be a light sleeper and asked for a quiet room, but ended up with one next to a dividing door and over the front car park, but the although the hotel was, full the other guests were not too noisy, so it was OK.

The room was a decent size and very clean (with the minor exception of behind the sink pedestal, which needed a bit of a wipe. I wouldn't normally dream of looking there and it doesn't feature in any other reviews that I have posted as a result, but I dropped my toothbrush and so I noticed it).

The breakfast was traditional buffet style and the waiting staff were very efficient and polite, used crockery was quickly removed. There was a bit of a lag on the Saturday, when a group booking of German holidaymakers arrived early for breakfast (later weekend hours were in operation) and the buffet hadn't been set up yet. Having said that, the staff retained their calm and politeness and apologised for the delays. Interestingly, it is the first English breakfast buffet I have seen that did not include baked beans. There were small menus for orderable items, but these were placed around the buffet area and not on the tables, which would be more guest friendly.

Overall this is a very relaxing hotel, the staff were polite and helpful and it is an easy 15 minute stroll into the middle of Canterbury. There is a large extension planned to provide conference and leisure facilities, which will be a challenge for the contractors in minimising disruption to guests during the development period.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BarnsleySunshine
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your 3 night break, the hotel was very busy that week as it was Graduation and this was the reason for your stay.

It is nice to see that guests notice all the little extra's, we try are very best to make your stay an enjoyable one.

The German group forgot that breakfast on Saturday morning was at 8a.m and not 7a.m as it was for them on their previous visit, hence the mix up. We were however able to turn this around asap.
We do have baked beans on the breakfast menu, these little fellas can be ordered separately as they would become a bit messy if left out in a hot serving dish. With regard to the breakfast menus, when your waiter shows you to your table, they would make you aware of where they are located.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should you visit the lovely city of Canterbury again.

Thank you.