“Wedding week end”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
essex
“Wedding week end”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We booked 2 nights for my grandsons wedding 9/8/13 my son was quoted £119 a night for executive room there was 5 couples staying 2 nights and many more for 1 night. we were charged £125 but was refunded when my son spoke to them
We arrived early and made some tea when went out for evening meal we requested some tea for our room on going to our room at 11 .30pm there was no tea and i decided to have a jacuzzi bath
I was showered with sand and grit ,dirt jumping out I tried to shower it off and the shower did not work by the time i washed in the sink it was too late to sort till the morning then I was off to have hair done etc no bath or shower for 2 days it was put right the shower was replaced and the dirt was something to do with a outside pump that had been replaced.
to add to our upset it seemed the volume of people in for breakfast overwhelmed them, my husband requested 2 kippers for breakfast and no eggs he was told norm is 1 they then said there was only one left so thats ok after 20 mins wondered what happened to the kipper well the fresh kippers are frozen so there was more than 1 a big fib then after 30 mins no kipper we asked to see a manager the manager is not in till Wed 14/8/13 but the person who spoke to us apologised and the manager will ring you leave all particulars at reception, then the kipper arrived with2 eggs well it is 2pm and so far no phone call today. i reall feel there should be some refund.
The staff were polite and the wedding reception was great it is a shame they cannot sort the mistakes
I would like to add a executive room was nice but could do with a fridge to keep water cold but a small hiccup

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I do hope after our conversation today we have corrected the issues that you have bought to my attention and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel later in the year, where I feel sure that your experience will be more pleasurable than this stay.

We will ensure we have some kippers waiting for your breakfast, although when freshly cooked will take time.

It was unfortunate about the faulty Jacuzzi, but pleased that our maintenance man was able to correct the shower problem and you enjoyed the wedding, which was absolutely gorgeous.

Christine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Yorkshire UK
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights as Canterbury is a good centre for the SE coast. The rooms were very good and clean and the staff were excellent and extremely helpful, even to the extent of letting me know when a better parking spot was available. The hotel is in walking distance (15 to 20 minutes) of the city centre and cathedral. It has a in-house restaurant which was very good but a bit on the expensive side. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet as it is a distance from the main road. If there is a function on, then those fu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. My team and I are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We recently stayed at the Abbots Barton Hotel in Canterbury. On arrival we were allocated our room and we went upstairs. I noticed on the booking form a change of room number and wondered why this was....! We entered the room to find THE smallest bedroom we have ever stayed in. Although most things were there, no fridge or ironing board, it was a pleasant enough room until you looked out the window. We overlooked the waste ground at the back of the hotel. This wasn't at all pleasant. The hotel wasn't exactly full in fact I would say there were only a handful of guests staying so it left us a little confused as to why we had such a poor room. The menu choice wasnt good and the staff insisted on needing dinner being pre booked. The bed was awful. It was like a put you up. All metal and cheap not to mention being tiny to fit in the room. However, it was clean and the shower was fantastic. There were toiletries provided and tea and coffee facilities were excellent, even a teapot!! Would we stay there again if we came back - probably not but tif there was nothing else....maybe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the front of the hotel and lower floors - the rooms maybe bigger!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Hoofergp
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
I would like to thank you for your review on your stay at the hotel.

We have standard single & double/twin rooms, which are all of varying sizes dependant on the room type requested. The larger bedrooms would be the superior, deluxe and family rooms of which a higher rate would be required.

From your comment, I would say the room type you booked was a standard double room. Some rooms are front facing, others face the back area, which is currently going under development for a new extension to the hotel. My apologies that this was your outlook during your stay. I am sorry your bed was uncomfortable, it is quite a personal preference on hard or soft mattresses

The hotel is very busy through the summer season, it maybe the car park was not full with cars at the time you checked in. We do have tour groups visit the hotel also. We ask all our guests to book a dining time in the restaurant, so as not to cause disappointment.

I do hope you return to the hotel, perhaps an upgrade to a superior/executive room would be more suitable for your requirements.

Thank you once again.
essex
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed here for my sons graduation. It is walking distance from city centre and has a quiet garden. The rooms were spotless and everything you could want for a delicious breakfast. All the staff were polite and attentive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to hear that all aspects of the hotel met your requirements for your visit to Canterbury for your sons graduation day.

Congratulations to him and we do hope you will return to visit the hotel in the not too distant future.

Barnsley
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We spent 3 nights here over the graduation period. The hotel is sat slightly back from the road, which provides a spacious lawn (on which you can park if the car parking area is full) and means that the road noise is not noticeable. The hotel is traditionally decorated and the carpet in the high traffic areas is a little tired. However, there were some little touches that made me smile... the standard room supplies are in evidence (shampoo, shoe cleaner etc), but there was also a small 'beauty pack' with a few cotton buds, make up remover pads and a small nail file that was very handy and the cleaner had an artistic approach as the plug chains for the sink and the bath were coiled artfully around the plugs.

There is a decent sized TV in the room and complimentary wi-fi, which was easy to set up. I tend to be a light sleeper and asked for a quiet room, but ended up with one next to a dividing door and over the front car park, but the although the hotel was, full the other guests were not too noisy, so it was OK.

The room was a decent size and very clean (with the minor exception of behind the sink pedestal, which needed a bit of a wipe. I wouldn't normally dream of looking there and it doesn't feature in any other reviews that I have posted as a result, but I dropped my toothbrush and so I noticed it).

The breakfast was traditional buffet style and the waiting staff were very efficient and polite, used crockery was quickly removed. There was a bit of a lag on the Saturday, when a group booking of German holidaymakers arrived early for breakfast (later weekend hours were in operation) and the buffet hadn't been set up yet. Having said that, the staff retained their calm and politeness and apologised for the delays. Interestingly, it is the first English breakfast buffet I have seen that did not include baked beans. There were small menus for orderable items, but these were placed around the buffet area and not on the tables, which would be more guest friendly.

Overall this is a very relaxing hotel, the staff were polite and helpful and it is an easy 15 minute stroll into the middle of Canterbury. There is a large extension planned to provide conference and leisure facilities, which will be a challenge for the contractors in minimising disruption to guests during the development period.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BarnsleySunshine
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your 3 night break, the hotel was very busy that week as it was Graduation and this was the reason for your stay.

It is nice to see that guests notice all the little extra's, we try are very best to make your stay an enjoyable one.

The German group forgot that breakfast on Saturday morning was at 8a.m and not 7a.m as it was for them on their previous visit, hence the mix up. We were however able to turn this around asap.
We do have baked beans on the breakfast menu, these little fellas can be ordered separately as they would become a bit messy if left out in a hot serving dish. With regard to the breakfast menus, when your waiter shows you to your table, they would make you aware of where they are located.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should you visit the lovely city of Canterbury again.

Thank you.
Faringdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

In my previous review I indicated that the ineptitude of the reception staff meant that I did not even get as far as booking a place. This time because the Falstaff in Canterbury was fully booked I had little alternative but to book the Best Western. However I am pleased to say that my stay was pretty good and I would have no hesitation in recommending the Best Western as an alternative to the Falstaff although at an increased cost. The situation is good for an easy walk into Canterbury, the only difficulty was on arriving by car (and not knowing exactly whare it was) the signage - there are a number of signs - was confusing. In spite of my earlier experience the reception staff proved to be helpful and courteous. The rooms was comfortable - even if the decor of the whole place was not to my liking. The cleanliness in the bathroonm could have been improved. The evening bar steward, if he was there, was surly and offhand. The breakfast was extremely good and the waiting staff very helpful and friendly.
Speaking to other visitors, they were all very happy with the hotel ('its a lovely hotel') and the service they had received.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Hairgluh
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Many thanks for your comments with regard to your stay at the hotel.

It is nice to hear that you have given the hotel a second chance, my reception team have new two new staff and are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.

It is a very busy season this year, I think the lovely summer weather seems to have boosted tourism in Canterbury.

The traditional style of the hotel we feel is in keeping with the historical city, with all rooms having modern facilities and air conditioning. I have passed your comments to my head housekeeper about the bathroom, as these are checked by her before releasing to our guests.

I have also addressed the bar man's attitude to his manager. This is unacceptable at any time. I am pleased you found the rest of the hotel team, friendly and helpful, I will let them know.

We do hope you will return as a converted Best Western Abbots Barton customer that enjoyed an extremely good breakfast.

Best regards
Glasgow
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend on a stopover as we made our way from Stirling to France. My girlfriend had booked this and told me not to expect much but when you pull up the building is really quite nice. Room was also fine, decent size and (very importantly) air-conditioned. I also found the bed very comfortable and I am a terrible sleeper when I stay in hotels.

I didn't eat dinner in the hotel as I am vegetarian and there weren't many options for me, although that was the same right across Canterbury - also make sure you book a restaurant if you are going out as they were all full!

After a good night's sleep breakfast was my one disappointment. I have no idea what the scrambled eggs were made from as they tasted and looked very strange, but I still ate them so not marking them down too much. The restaurant was full but a very friendly woman (possibly manager?) put us in the bar and helped us order.

All in all a perfectly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

It is always nice to hear that our guests have an enjoyable experience at the hotel. We welcome feedback in order to improve and work harder to deliver a better customer experience.

The hotel has recently launched the summer menu and we always offer a good selection for vegetarians. Our Chef takes pride in new ideas for these dishes, so our guests do not have the usual vegetarian option. Perhaps on your next visit you would like to sample them and we are always open to suggestions from our guests.

With regard to your egg experience, I have taken note and have reported this back to Chef as I feel we need some re training on how to make the perfect scrambled eggs.

Fern, the hotel's Reception Manager along with Kathleen, your waitress that morning. made sure you were looked after in our lovely Garden room for breakfast as the Fountain restaurant was very busy at the time. I will pass your comments to them, as I am sure they will be pleased to hear you were happy with the service.

We do hope you would return to us in the not too distant future.

Thank you.