“Canterbury bells”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Canterbury bells”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Visited with a coach party, the hotel was first class friendly staff, good food and service. The room was of a good size with plenty of storage space, also had air conditioning which was very welcome during the very warm weather during our stay. Well placed for visiting Canterbury which was only a 10 minute walk away or take the local bus with stop only 50 yards from the hotel. My wife and I would happily stay at the hotel again just to visit the city of Canterbury which had a lot to offer tourist.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor over looking the car park no noise problems at all
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable trip and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have just returned from a 4-night stay at this hotel and, overall, I liked the hotel. It is situated in extensive grounds yet only about a 10 min walk from Canterbury centre. I found the staff friendly enough and I liked the old-fashioned ambience. The A/C in the room was bliss in the heat!
What I did not like was the very poor lighting in the bedroom (impossible to read anything) and, yes, the floors do creak amazingly! The food was average, at best, despite the numerous pictures of it on the website. Starters and desserts were OK but the mains were uninspired (good-quality meat & fish but dull presentation, particularly the veg.).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your 4 night stay and you were able to explore the nearby city of Canterbury during the lovely summer weather we are currently enjoying. It is very pleasant to be able to sit outside on the lawn and relax.

I have passed your comments to my hard working staff, as it always nice to have feedback on service you received.

The energy saving bulbs we have in the hotel, do take time to become brighter, I hope this did not inconvenience you too much. We are, as I have mentioned in earlier reviews, dealing with the creaky floorboards.

We have recently launched our new summer menu, I am sorry you found the vegetable inclusions not to your taste. I will pass your comments to my Chef.

We do hope if you return to Canterbury, you will visit the hotel again.

Best regards
devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We had read that the staff weren't friendly, well maybe those reviews have caused the management to recruit and train some better staff because they couldn't have been more obliging. It is rare to find a dog friendly hotel of this size, but we were impressed by the dog bed and bowl put in the room. Accommodation was very comfortable, air conditioning was a welcome bonus, and I like to have a bath as well as a shower, spit was good to see that there. The breakfast was plentiful and fine. Booking did not include breakfast. I have no idea if the issue of creaky floorboards has been addressed, but we were in the newer part of the hotel and it was lovely and quiet. Good value, good service and comfort and 10 minutes walk from Canterbury centre makes this a good buy!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.

My team and I do try to offer every guest an enjoyable stay, I will pass your comments to them as they all do take pride in delivering good customer service in all areas of the hotel.

We do hope that you should you return to Canterbury,you will come back to see us.
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our experience was much better than some of the other reviews as I will explain. We were 2 adults and an toddler and overall we were quite pleased with our experience. The main problem we encountered was apparently miscommunication between the hotel and the web site on which I booked the stay. Our confirmation indicated breakfast included but the hotel claimed to have no indication of that. It did take a while at the front desk to have them agree to not charge us but they made it clear that they would attempt to get extra payment from the online agent. This was not a great way to check in but the rest of the stay was fine. The room was quiet, clean and very comfortable. Best experience was the breakfast staff who were very friendly and helpful, especially the head waiter, Pietro! The housekeeping manager was also helpful. One of the reception clerks could use some further training in hospitality friendliness and knowledge of the town. She had no knowledge of the one of the most popular restaurants when we asked her to make a reservation for dinner. As for the walk into town, it is about 15 minutes and quite easy so I say the location of the hotel is excellent. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor and were not at all bothered by what others reported to be creaky f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the mix up when you checked in, I will certainly investigate this as this should not have delayed you being able to check into your room.

Website bookings are somewhat misleading and not always clear if you have booked breakfast or not. The general rule on bookings, if it states breakfast is included, then fine, but if you have confirmation with just the room details, then breakfast would be extra.
I trust this did not cause you too much inconvenience, thank you for being patient.

I have passed your comments to both Pietro and Jenny, who are delighted to hear your stay was enjoyable.

I do have a new receptionist that has just started at the hotel, so this may have been the young lady you spoke to. The reception team are aware of the restaurants in the city, however, there are so many now and new ones popping up all of the time.

We do have a new computer in the foyer for guests to use, free of charge, so they can search for local amenities and attractions.
This may have been able to help with the location of the restaurant your were looking for.

The city is a very pleasant walk from the hotel, ideal to leave your car with us in our free car park and enjoy the fresh air.

We do hope to see you again.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Very elegant as you drive up the sweeping half circular driveway with beautiful trees and gardens. The Receptionist was very crusty, when we booked in. Our room was spotless and comfortable. Lovely paintings on all the walls and very grand furniture. Had an evening drink in bar and it was full of a bus tour and there was very little seating available. Very noisy during the night with creaking floorboards and flushing toilets. Lovely walk to Canterbury Cathedral.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and pleased you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and visit to the beautiful city of Canterbury.

The hotel with its sweeping driveway, landscaped lawns and many trees, Gothic in style and therefore unforgettable appearance is ideal for a walk into the history of the city and of course the Cathedral, as you have experienced.

With regards to your check in,I am not sure who would be "crusty" on reception, as the team would hopefully welcome all guests with smiling faces, perhaps she was deep in thought when you arrived.

As we are on the doorstep of this amazing city, we have many tour groups visit the hotel and where there may not be seating in the bar or lounge area, we have many seats along the front of the hotel in the corridor along from reception. Plus, the outside patio area, where you could take advantage of the sunshine we are currently enjoying on the UK.

I have taken note of your comments of creaky floors, which is currently being looked at.

We do hope to see you again in the future.
Crewe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Management really need to Carry out some development to both the interior decor and the staff. I was initially overcharged on my credit card. My wife asked for extra water for her tea at breakfast and the guy produced a teapot full of cold water. The decor is outdated, oppressive and too Christian orientated. Reception staff don't look up from their computer screens when guests return to the hotel. Woken up in the early hours by a very noisy refuse collection.

Room Tip: To get a good room in Canterbury book at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Greyfoodie
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

I find it rather strange that you choose to stay at a Gothic style hotel and then dislike the interior. The design and décor of the Hotel is in keeping with the traditional old house that it once was and the current owners have built the newer section with this in mind.

As for my staff,we do have some new young foreign hospitality students learning the trade, could be they misunderstood the request for HOT water, I will make sure my head waiter corrects this for the future.

The reception team sit quite low down behind a high desk, perhaps working on bookings and taking calls. I will be speaking to them all shortly to ensure that they acknowledge our guests when possible during their stay.

As for the bin men... I have asked the Night Porters to speak to them to see if they can make a little less noise when servicing the hotel. My apologies for your disturbance.

With our on going improvements and training, I do hope we can offer you a more enjoyable stay next time.

Thank you.
Bolton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I am here for one night on a business trip.
First the good points:
- Friendly and efficient welcome by reception staff
- Nicely decorated, clean and comfortable room, if somewhat old fashioned
- Efficient and friendly service at breakfast
- Well kept public areas
- Free Wi-Fi (but patchy)

and the bad .......

- The room I had (room 320) was surrounded by noise from the loudly creaking floors within the bedroom and the surrounding rooms and corridor; the noisy plumbing of the neighbouring bedroom; from the air conditioning unit of the neighbouring bedroom; and the slamming doors of the other bedrooms into the early hours and then from 05.20 in the morning. Therefore I hardly slept.
- Breakfast was usual fayre but the sausages were overcooked and hard, the bacon was greasy and soggy, the mushrooms and sauted potatoes cold. Only one slice of toast brought to table at any one time.
- Shower fine until the bedroom next door used theirs and then pressure dropped to non-existent.
- Situated quite a distance from the town centre

Room Tip: It would appear all upper rooms have noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Doug H
Thank you for your good versus bad review with regard to your recent stay.

My staff and I thank you for your five good points and I have addressed the not so good below.

Creaking floorboards, plumbing & air conditioning units are being dealt with currently, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The noise from other guests in the hotel could have been stopped with a quick call to the Night Porter who is on duty from 23.00 hours to 7.00 hrs and would been able to reduce the disturbance. Shower pressure can vary if our guests decide to shower around the same time, a busy hotel means this does occur at times, I do hope this did not inconvenience you too much.

As from last weekend, we have a new display at breakfast, which now gives all our guests the option to toast as many slices of bread they wish. I will of course speak to the Chef with regards to your other comments on the breakfast fayre.

The city centre is a comfortable 10 minute walk if you turn left out of the hotel drive, as you will see from the many comments on other reviews.