“Good Food”

Pilgrims English Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Pilgrims English Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #144 of 384 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional, independent city-centre restaurant serving traditional English food - including Afternoon Teas and Sunday Roasts - freshly cooked at sensible prices. We are the nearest restaurant to The Marlowe Theatre and located just one minute from the High Street. The kitchen is open daily from 12 pm to 9 pm and the bar remains open until 11 pm everyday except Sunday, 10.30 pm.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This restaurant is directly opposite the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury and well worth a visit. We have been several times and it is always busy. The food is plentiful and very good value for money, I would be surprised if anybody could eat 3 courses. They also take drink orders for the interval at the Marlowe which beats the bar at the theatre hands down. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for anybody visiting the theatre and wanting to have a meal before or after their show.

1  Thank Carol9159

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I eat here before our visit to the Marlowe. Our starters were overcooked and parts were inedible. The main courses were very mediocre with my mushroom risotto being the worst I have ever eaten. We didn't even bother with dessert and left vowing never to return.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was here some time ago on my last visit to the Marlowe Theatre and was extremely surprised on the upnarket renovation. It is now clean, welcoming, updated and is run with the client in mind.

Having time to spend before the curtain call, my friends and I came in for a meal and we were all taken aback by the good find and drinks at very reasonable prices. Service was fast and very attentive. I shall visit this place again whilst I shop in Canterbury, not for just going to the theatre.

1  Thank Roman S
Reviewed November 17, 2012

we booked a table for four before going to the Marlowe Theatre we order our meals of 4 starters 4 main meals at this time staff were pleasant enough. I ordered the crayfish and salmon starter from the specials, starters arrived looked very nice but as I began to tuck into it a slug came out from under the salad. I think I went into shock we called staff over very quietly so not to cause a fuss, it was at this time staff seemed more amused by it than sorry, a second starter came out to me. when we questioned a second member of staff about this incident he answered us by (oh I thought the kitchen was joking) that was the end of conversation. No manager of any description or an apology for this was made. Big of them they did deduct my starter from the final bill. Shame about this incident as the rest of the food was quite nice.

2  Thank Julie J
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This has nothing to do with the Hotel as such just the poor service in the restaurant. Booked a table at the Pilgrims as we had used the restaurant before on many occasions in the past and have always been happy with the service and food. We booked a table for 5:45pm to give us plenty of time for the last night of Dreamboats & Petticaots at the Marlowe opposite, as we expected the place to be busy. We were seated and served by a nice young lady, ordered our drinks, and shortly after ordered our food, drinks came pretty speedily. Another table of 4 came 15 minutes later, and a table of 2 came around 10 minutes after that. We kept looking at the ,and the table that arrived 15 minutes later complained about waiting and their food came, the other table of 2 got theirs as well, my wife complained about this and the fact that we were here before both tables and still waiting, an apology was offered, the food came out 10 minutes after that, almost an hour after orderng, we had not asked prior to this about the food as we appreciated the restaurant was very busy, but it was apparrent that our order had been missed. Food was nice, although my wifes cream sauce was tasteless and runnier than soup. After the meal we requested a dessert menu, no one came back to take our order, most of the waiting staff were behind the bar while we were waiting for our dessert order to be taken. so we gave up, and went to pay, as it was nearing the tme of the show to start. We informed the manager of the poor service, who had previously told us that the food was coming on numerous occassions from across the crowded bar/resaurant. The complaint was met with an apology which was appreciated, but the excuse of beng extremely busy in my mind is ridiculous, if you know most of the tables are booked for a certain time, for the last night of an extremely popular show a hundred yards away is a particularly lame excuse, make sure you have enough staff, or do not take so many bookings if you cannot cope. Having asked if he had any intention of lowering the price of the bill, he refused, and looked a bit bewildered, he would not even knock off the price of a pint of beer. On the few times we have been to a restaurant and the service has been poor, there has always been a deduction in way of apology, not this time, the manager was more worried about getting all the money instead of dealing with what was an obvious problem. We shall not use the place again, and would advise that if you book a table on a Saturday night give yourself more than 2 hours if there is a popular show on at the Marlowe, and as soon as you feel you have waited long enough for your meal ask where it is, or if there is a problem. We are not serial complainers to get discounts, but do expect to be served within a reasonable time, busy or not.

3  Thank Ruff59