“DIY guided tour”
Review of Canterbury Audio Tours - CLOSED

Canterbury Audio Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Canterbury Audio Tours invites you to explore 20 of Canterbury's most famous sites with a self guided tour of this historic city, which is taken at your own pace. No other tour covers as much ground or includes as many benefits. Available in 7 languages, and suitable for all ages, you can take a tour at any time of day to suit you. The tour also boasts discounts for featured landmarks and attractions as well as local restaurants and coffee shops, making it the perfect way to explore the city.
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We used Canterbury audio tours on a very warm day in July, we had our dog with us so for us being able to go at our own pace was great. We tried to get the mp3 player from the tourist information centre but were told to go the welcome centre which is next to the coach park you get there by walking along the river walk, so you might want to check where this is before you go. The player is very easy to use and the staff spent several minutes making sure we knew how to use it. The map you get to go with it is very easy to follow also. The guide takes in all the main sights. This audio tour would be suitable for children as would be using the player. £9 for the use of this for the whole day I think is excellent value. We took most of the day getting round and did both routes including stopping at a couple of pubs along the way! We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Canterbury and would highly recommend using this audio tour.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

As the title of my review suggests, I wish we had been there. At the end of July we booked up for an audio tour of Canterbury with this company who were going to leave the mp3 players for collection at our hotel on the morning of our arrival. I cannot praise this companys attitude highly enough, all the people we had contact with were excellent, they really went out of their way to help us enjoy our forthcoming holiday. Unfortunately we were involved in a car accident and wrote off the car at Newark on our way down from Scotland and were unable to come at all. When we called to tell them of our misfortune, as expected, they were really nice and thanked us for taking the time to call and were full of empathy and understanding. I hope to visit Canterbury in the future and will certainly use their service.

Gregor Drummond

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Having moved into the local area a few months back i decided to be a tourist before it became too embarrassing and stumbled upon the audio tour guys next to the coach station. It could be done in 7 or 8 different languages and i plumped for French as not only did i receive a B at school but i thought it made me look more cultural in front of the lovely lady at the shop. Anyway i was told how to get the player back into English and within 10 minutes it was back into English. The tour goes from the cathedral all the way to the city wall and takes on board places like the westgate towers (which i found out are shut) and st Augustine abbey (needs a bit of restoration)
Overall it was informative without overloading and gives you a discount on a few brilliant pubs in the area.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My son and I visited Canterbury today, and I thought that the Audio Tours would be the best way to get a good overview of the city. For the most part, our experience was great! The audio was interesting, informative, and well-produced. The tour map was good, and following the map we were able to see most of the city.

However, I have a few quibbles which prevent me from giving them a 5* rating. First of all, the place has moved, and their website is still not updated to reflect the new location, which wasn't easy to find. Secondly, we paid an extra pound each for the "video" players. However, there was no video on the players, just still pictures of the place where you were. It was also difficult to see the screen since it was a sunny day. So we just ended up with more bulky audio players for our extra money. Finally, it would be nice if they made a more kid-friendly version of the audio. It was easy enough for my son to understand (he's 11 years old), but not always interesting enough to keep his interest.

So overall, it is a great way to see the city and find out a bit about it. However, don't bother with the "video" player.

2  Thank Jeff L