“particularly good life of beckett 'tapestry'”
Review of Canterbury Heritage Museum - CLOSED

Canterbury Heritage Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This remarkable building, housing the museum's vast collection, has lived through six centuries of the city's history. Rebuilt in its current form in 1373, it stands today as one of Canterbury's finest surviving medieval buildings. On arrival visitors are taken on a journey through time from the days when mammoths walked our coastlines to the Second World War bombings in Canterbury. From Anglo-Saxon treasures and rare Tudor finds to the 'Invicta' steam engine and even the original Bagpuss, this double-story museum and its collections capture the eclectic character of Canterbury and the wonderful things that make it the historical and cultural centre it is today.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed March 27, 2013

we went with the children as canterbury cathedral closed [new archbishop! such bad timing!!] and were pleasantly surprised, the children were kept interested as they looked around [currently a high priority for me] and there were additional info areas for adults. the best bit in my mind was the wittily drawn and penned life of becket.

All reviews
"varied displays"
"check opening times"
"stour street"

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Called in here initially to shelter from the freezing cold and visit somewhere else before visit to Canterbury Cathedral in the afternoon, didn't expect to be here so long but we were here for ages as both my hubby and I was fascinated with the history of Canterbury and it's exhibitions. Normally my husband is usually well ahead of me when visiting stately homes, museums etc, as I tend to read most things and thus lag behind him by quite a distance, however this time we were pretty much on an even keel. The time flew by, proof that we really enjoyed the visit, a 'must-see' for any visitors to Canterbury. Highly recommended. I was disappointed that the Heritage Museum doesn't have a Souvenir Book available, sure it would sell like hot cakes

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Like most local museums you learn about the local history, geography and local finds including Anglo-Saxon treasures. Best of the lot, Oliver Postgate's animated work was on display including Bagpuss, Ivor the Engine and Nogin the Nog. Plus for train buffs Stephenson's original Invicta railway engine. Great stuff, plus a nice souvenir shop

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Decided to spend some time here with my 9 year old daughter. I had read the positive reviews as well as a couple of negative ones.
Thankfully it was very quiet they today but the weather will have played a part in that I think.
What a perfect afternoons entertainment on a winter's day. Only a short walk from the city, not to far from a car park, excellent and helpful staff throughout all added up make it a wonderful venue.
Really interesting for my daughter as well as myself.
And only £8 for both of us to get in!

See more reviews
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Had I known of the quality of this museum I would not have wasted my time. There are things for children but limited creative engagement for adults. They talk about some things that are better seen elsewhere -- the Cathedral and the Docks. They offer to sell you a double ticket so that you can see the Roman Museum...lots of repetition between the two so definitely a waste unless you want to see uncovered roman mosaics.