“Pleasantly surprised - really good, no frills, accommodation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of University Of Kent - Turing College

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
University Of Kent - Turing College
Ranked #35 of 81 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Pretoria, South Africa
“Pleasantly surprised - really good, no frills, accommodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

never having stayed at university accommodation before we were pleasantly surprised to see how nice it was. The rooms were quite basic as regards furnishing, but everything was new and clean, linen, towels, toiletries, etc. The rooms were as you would expect for student accommodation, lots of shelving for books, plug points and computer access points. Wi-Fi is available, but is chargeable. Breakfast is a bit of a free-for-all in the cafeteria, but it lacked nothing when it came to choice and the food was good. There is a good bus service running from the University.
At £45 pppn it's not the best value for money, but if you are in a group, needing several rooms, this is ideal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Liz C, Commercial Services at University Of Kent - Turing College, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We're delighted to hear that our accommodation surpassed your expectations and hope that you will stay with us again in the future. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed in halls of residence at Keynes College. The building was new and the rooms were spotlessly clean; we also had access to a communal kitchen, again in good condition. The staff at reception were helpful. The breakfast was plentiful, not amazing quality but reasonable. One minor quibble is that the bedding was a tad scratchy, and the towels rather flimsy. The site was beautiful and leafy (20 minute walk from city centre), and our building was quiet, although some of the other buildings seemed to be more rowdy as large groups of students had just arrived. University accommodation can be a bit of a risk with respect to quietness and cleanliness, but Keynes did well on both counts.

Room Tip: Try asking for a room away from large groups if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Liz C, Commercial Services at University Of Kent - Turing College, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed a comfortable stay in Keynes College and hope that we can welcome you back in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

My Easytobook.com paperwork showed no restrictions and no clues as to the opening hours of the reception at Tyler Court. I therefore assumed it would be manned 24/7. In reality it was open 0730-2000. I was delayed en route and after 5hrs driving arrived at 2145; it was raining and had just got dark, the direction signs on campus were in shadow and hard to read. That wouldn't have been a problem to those arriving by taxi or guided by a SatNav. I could only access Tyler Court reception area because groups of foreign teenagers running in and out had left what should have been a secured door open allowing free access into that block where they were sleeping. Reception's shutters were down. There were no notices instructing who to contact or how to obtain the key to my room. After a bit of searching I found a security guard in a nearby college. He was very helpful, took me back to Tyler Court reception and retrieved an envelope containing my key and room number from the locked office (there was another envelope waiting for the final guest to arrive). He also kindly took me to my accomodation 2 blocks away and showed me how to use the electronic key fob.
The room and bed were very comfortable but I was woken at 0600 every morning either by passing traffic on the hill immediately behind the trees outside my window or by the hot water heating coming on. That said, the hot water was always very hot and instantly available; the shower was excellent. The room was clean and was serviced while I was out on the Saturday (I stayed Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights). However, when I pulled back the duvet around midnight on Friday to get to bed I was very shocked and disgusted at the state of the green bottom sheet. There were dried semen stains on the edge of it. I thought it may just have been poorly washed but then I also discovered minute particles of used toilet paper where a previous occupant had clearly lain in the middle of the bed. I was quite revolted and shocked at this discovery but as I was very tired and there was nobody at reception and no information on how to contact any accomodation staff I had no option other than to brush the sheet clean with my hand and sleep on the stained sheet. I suspect that the sheet wasn't changed after the previous occupant or that the room had been used without the knowledge of staff. I wasn't expecting the room to be serviced after my first night or I would have left a note asking for the sheet to be changed. I hope I was just unlucky with the sheet but more info needs to be given for late arrivals (I see from a previous review I was not the only late arrival unable to get their key so that snag does need addressing).
Other than that, the room was perfect for my requirements but the Wifi signal was surprisingly weak (1/5 bars) when using my own Wifi Dongle rather than paying extra to hook up to the campus service provider. Without these problems I would have given higher ratings of my stay but I would stay again as the location met my needs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank barrythom
Liz C, Commercial Services at University Of Kent - Turing College, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for your review. Naturally we were very concerned to read your comments about the room servicing and are currently investigating this. However we are pleased to hear that the location met your needs and hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Ferndown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed in halls of residence at Keynes College, Uni of Kent. These are newly built accomm and are of a high quality. We stayed the night before the Uni Open Day and it was an excellent stay. Very peaceful, glorious views, very clean and spacious double room with ensuite and our son was next door in a single. £70 for double & £45 for single and breakfast was reaaly good with good choices. We just can't fault it, well done Keynes College. We would definitely book again.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Commercial Services at University Of Kent - Turing College, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for your review and we're delighted you were so pleased with every aspect of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

This is about our 9th visit to the University of Kent. Visitors come from the UK as well as a number of other countries and this year,the age range was from 6 months to 94 years but the majority are single young people (early 20s). The staff are exceptionally kind and helpful and so willing to make our stay a real pleasure. The food is delicious and plentiful (and healthy - fresh fruit and yoghurts available at all meals!) The facilities for our purpose are great - meeting rooms for about 250 people. The accommodation is very good, most have en-suite facilities. Obviously it cannot provide double rooms for all the married couple who attend but it is 'student accommodation' and the hospitality staff do their best to provide suitable bedroom arrangements for the few families that come. This event is very much the highlight for many people and our numbers have increased year on year so that 300 or more came this year. We cannot thank the staff enough for their superb service on our behalf. The location is beautiful and the facilities are excellent.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the blue bell wood or the Cathedral!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Beth58London
Liz C, UoK Commercial Services at University Of Kent - Turing College, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a positive review. It goes without saying that we're delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and we look forward to seeing you again next year.
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Arriving late in the evening at a weekend, the campus resembled a ghost town. It took a while to navigate round and find someone to ask where the rooms were and get a key. Of course, during the day mid week, completely different; the place is invaded by hordes of youngsters; foreign ones during the holidays. The accommodation is basic student, rabbit warren style, but is perfectly adequate if you are only there for a few nights. There is some cross over noise at night, especially if some of the students are having a party, so bring earplugs or join in.
Breakfast is very good, although you will have to navigate the masses if you go at 8. Possibly better to leave it until 8.45 and be at the quieter end.
It is a bit of a walk round the campus to find things and also to town, but there is a bus service operating at standard hours.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank EdinburghSky
Having only just realised that we're on Trip Advisor, we're very glad to have the opportunity to respond.

We do try to accommodate individual guests away from student groups but in 2011 this wasn't possible due to refurbishment works. For 2012 and beyond, we have some lovely new accommodation for our individual bed and breakfast guests.

We're very glad that you enjoyed your breakfast, as we do pride ourselves on the high standards of our food and service.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.
worcester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

Not cheap. Rooms basic but clean and functional..
Can be noisy with any noise in space between Tyler Court B and C block seemingly amplified by the design layout, In level 5 I could often hear parts of conversations clearly.
Worst point is that breakfast is a shambles. We were told that service was 8 till 9 but when we turned up at 7.55 serving had obviously commenced a lot earlier. SEcondly at one point a group of some 60 summer students arrived together and a massive queue formed. Tables were allocated for groups but inadeaquately signed and no information as to where ordinary B&B guests could seat. We saw some people told to move halfway through breakfast in a rude manner by staff. I will not stay again.

Room Tip: avod roome in B & C that face the courtyard betwen tyhe two. Arrive before 8 for breakfast
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
As per previous post, we've only just discovered that we're on Trip Advisor.

We're really sorry that you found your stay noisy and that breakfast service was not up to our normal high standard.

We have some lovely new accommodation for our individual travellers and we would welcome the opportunity to change your opinion and convince you stay again. For any future visits that you may be planning to the area, please contact hospitality-enquiry@kent.ac.uk and we will be delighted to make the arrangements on your behalf.