“Great experience.”

Ranked #106 of 372 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Black Griffin is known as "The pub with a personality"! The outside of the building is beautiful and inside it is cosy, warm and welcoming. The bar staff like to make sure everyone is enjoying there visit as well as enjoying themselves whilst at work. We have recently built heated seating which is perfect for when you are enjoying a warm, home cooked, hearty and delicious meal. The staff fit quirky things around the pub for entertainment and are sure to keep an eye out on how they can better every customers visit! Our restaurant menu is designed to suit those who would like to enjoy the log fire and have a warm filling meal or even those who just need a quick bite to eat! We have a range of food- succulent and thick steaks which have been purchased from our local butchers, to fish pies, sandwiches and nachos which are incredible with pulled pork! Our ratings on TripAdvisor have pleased all of us as we are one of the highest rated restaurants and night life places to go to! On a Monday evening from 9pm-11pm we have a different band that plays each week. Wednesday is our "Real Ale Club" day which means that you can have any ale for 50p less the whole day! Thursdays have become a big night for us too as we have many talented singers that come in and play between 9pm-11pm too. Our Fridays and Saturdays are always busy and buzzing- we are worth paying a visit! Every night of the week we have at least one deal but Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays we have lots! If you would like to see a few photos we are on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. Click on any of these for photos. "Trust me you can dance" - Jack Daniels We hope you have a lovely visit and enjoy the rest of your day! Thank you for taking the time to look us up and hopefully see you soon! -BG Management
Luton, United Kingdom
“Great experience.”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

A friend and I stopped by the Black Griffin today and I must say I had the best steak I have had in a long while served with great chips and lovely peppercorn sauce. The staff today were very friendly. I commented to my mate that it was a great change to be made feel welcome and served great food that was also value for money.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Shaun G

• Korean first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Open mic night”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Came on a Thursday and there was a good open mic night, saw a band called high tide play who were really good. Great atmosphere and a good night.

2 Thank MansMachine
Dallas, Texas
“Best fish and chips all trip”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I've had fish and chips 4 times between my husband and I on this two week U.K. Journey and this place had the best fish and chips of them all! Bangers and mash were nice here as well. Large portions, good prices, Large drink selection.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank kate408
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“A reasonable place for a bite to eat”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We dropped in to the Black Griffin for Sunday lunch after a stroll through Westgate Gardens nearby. We both ordered beef and ale pie at £7.50 with chips and vegetables.. The lady behind the bar was very polite and we were served quite quickly. The pie had clearly been heated in the microwave and it was only just warm in parts but it was quite tasty. The vegetables were carrots, broccoli and French beans but the carrots were slightly al dente which wasn't to my liking but maybe some people like them that way. The chips were chunky and were fine. The pub was quite empty and there was only one other couple eating and whilst it was perfectly OK I have been in more attractive pubs with a more homely feel. The Black Griffin is a good choice for a drink and a low cost meal but personally I don't think it's that special and I doubt we will return.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Roy A
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Ideal for a Steak & a Pint”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We visited The Black Griffin after the theatre.If you want a decent meal and a drink (beer or wine) for not very much money then eat here.If you want Cordon Bleu cooking go somewhere else in Canterbury and pay a lot more.This place serves honest to goodness pub grub,from bare tables and little refinement,but in my opinion the food is good.The young lady that served our table was polite and efficient,offering to get condiments and any further drinks,what more can you ask for.Admittedly it was a quiet time when we visited,and I am sure that it gets a little lively,but choose your time if you want to eat in peace.Overall very satisfied with the quality of food and the price.

• Visited May 2014