“Nice for a quick lunch and good vegetarian choices”
Review of CJ's

CJ's
Ranked #185 of 377 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been going here weekly for the last few weeks. The menu is simple (baguettes/ jackets/ etc) but with a wide choice of fillings which all seem to be made quite freshly. The food is good, the prices are reasonable and there is a loyalty card too. The are lots of vegetarian choices too!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We visited on a Saturday afternoon for a light snack and a drink. On walking in we were initially impressed by the menu and range on offer. After placing our order we were served our snack at the counter and told our drinks would be brought over. So far so good.

Despite there only being a few other customers, it was hard to find anywhere to sit as all the tables were piled with dirty plates and cups. After moving a few cups we settled in and began to eat. After taking one bite of my roasted veg and pesto panini I was aware of another, less appetising addition to my meal. Smeared across the bottom of the panini was some tuna. I am a strict vegetarian so this was particularly horrible to find. No sign of our drinks yet either.

I immediately took it back to the counter to ask why this had happened. The reply was that "it must have come from the chopping board" as the girl pointed to a board covered in all manner of food scraps. Still no drinks.

I remarked that they weren't following basic food hygiene practices and was sternly told there was no need to be rude. I was made to feel like I was in the wrong for politely complaining about their poor service. I requested a full refund and left just as the other assistant made a move to start preparing our drinks.

This café is staffed by young people with no apparent management, who have no interest in providing a service, keeping the premises clean or following basic food preparation rules. I got a sense they were just waiting to finish for the day.

I always support the independent business over the chain, but on this occasion the mediocre service and just-about-adequate panini eaten in Costa over the road felt like a comforting experience after a visit to CJ's.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

What a wonderful little find .. we have visited here a few times and are always impressed by the quality of food, the atmosphere and of course value for money. The hot turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce baguette is a must for us .. also tempted this last visit by the gingerbread latte .. oh and we especially love sitting on the sofas at the back if you can get one.. surrounded by little artifacts and interesting finds.. don't think I will tell you where it is though otherwise we'll never get a seat!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

had a DELICIOUS coronation chicken wrap and they toasted it! Really good.

Always busy so hard to get a table!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The food here is just fantastic, especially their pork, apple sauce and stuffing baguette. The staff are mostly very nice (there are a few who seem to turn their noses up at you) and are always happy to cater for your needs. The atmosphere is lovely and it's a great place to sit if you just want to enjoy a light lunch and coffee. On the whole, I would definitely recommend!