“Quick service and nice beer.”
Review of La Trappiste Restaurant - CLOSED

La Trappiste Restaurant
Cuisines: Belgian, Mediterranean, Seafood, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We only wanted a drink. We found a table quickly and a waiter soon attended to our needs. They have a large selection of Belgian beers some of which are very strong. Enjoyable visit.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Surprised and disappointed for the reviewers who had a poor time as it is not reflective of the many times we have been there
The Belgian stew is excellent and the atmosphere is great

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Not sure what "David A & SunliteRobe's" problem is, but we can only find praise and compliments to describe the friendly service and personal attention we received during a recent 4 day stay in Canterbury. Having lived in Brussels for a number of years it was great to find a cafe restaurant modelled along the same lines as there, complete with 20 different draught beers...!!! If you visit La Trappiste for just a beer or a meal, make a point of meeting Leo the Manager, he is a great guy and will make you feel very welcome. My wife and I will definately pay a return visit the next time we are in Canterbury. Our thanks - Leo & Val.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We needed a last minute place to eat and were shown to a table in the window- a marvellous view with a clavinola behind us to add character and atmosphere. My husband's mussels were the biggest we've seen and delicious, whereas my Stilton and walnut salad, though not massive, was tasty and filling.
However, the aspect that impressed us most was the conversation we had with the waiter, Sam, about the beer. He was a font of knowledge and extremely helpful in discussing taste, alcohol content and price. Our final choice was delicious! ( You will have to discover it for yourselves!)
The staff were attentive, even though we were a bit awkward and asked for extra bits after our initial order, once our hunger was aroused by the amber nectar ( we are bitter drinkers, but the Belgian beer stood its ground).
The icing on the cake was after the meal. I stupidly left my purse on the table in my hurry to get to the concert. When I realised, half an hour later, I rushed back. Despite having a restaurant buzzing with customers, the manager had already phoned both my mobile and home number ( I'd switched off because of the concert) had labelled the purse with date, table number etc, and had put it in the safe. The staff quickly rushed to find the manager so that I could have my mind put at rest.
Now, that's what I call service! We'll be back!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

One star is one too many for this dire restaurant.We went there for Sunday lunch and everything was hopeless-po-faced,waitress who blithely announced well after we had sat down and(finally)been served drinks that the food would take at least 30 minurtes because of some unspecified problem.When the food arrived on edish was missing.The food was pretty bad-moules(Belgian style)consisting of an occasional morcel of shallot.The even later than the rest dish we were not charged for.
That was an inadequate response to an abysmal performance.It is depressing to think that poor ,hapless tourist will wander in and keep th is place in business.

2  Thank David A