“Expense ale!”

La Trappiste Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Trappiste Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 364 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Woking, United Kingdom
“Expense ale!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I ate at La Trappiste on Saturday evening. Although busy, a table was found for us and the service was quite good. However, I tried to order an ale from the back of the beer menu - I think there were 6 or 7 listed. They did not have the ale I requested, or several others - only 2 ales left. I decided to go with the local ale, as one does - Gallant Ale from Ramsgate. The waiter told me that it was a big bottle - 75cl and actually asked twice if I was ok with that - I agreed. It wasn't until the bill was presented after our meals that I realised the bottle of beer cost £12.95! My fish and chips only cost £10.50! The food was fantastic, but I'd rather be warned about the price of the beer than the size of the bottle as I most certainly would have declined. I have since discovered La Trappiste are charging double the normal cost of this beer. Totally unnecessary and has defiitely put me off returning.

• Visited August 2013

Romford, United Kingdom
“Great and very different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was a student in Canterbury for three years and my girlfriend and I ate in virtually every single restaurant there. We avoided chains early on when we realised how good the independent places were, and this was certainly one of the better restaurants.

The food was delicious and the atmosphere welcomed friends and couples without the two intruding on one another. There was a piano player and fresh pastries, alongside a beer/wine recommendation for every meal you chose.

There is a roof terrace, though the downstairs was certainly more impressive. It is usually very busy, so the service can be a little slow, but all considered they worked incredibly hard!

• Visited June 2013
“Yummy Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We wandered into this place from the street and as soon as we saw they had 200 Belgian beers we were hooked. We had a great meal - highly recommend the beef stew and some nice drinks. The desserts looked amazing but we couldn't fit them in. Our service was great and the atmosphere was lovely.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best restaurants/bars in Canterbury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I can't speak highly enough of this restaurant and it's staff.
We first visited it on a Saturday night, post Ghost tour. We initially sat outside as we were accompanied by our one year old dog, who we didn't think would be welcome inside! What a mistake!
The bouncer obviously popped inside and had a word with the staff. When my husband went in to order drinks, he was told we were going to be seated upstairs in their balcony area. Although it had been raining, they dried a table for us and then put an umbrella up in case any further showers occurred. Our dog was welcome to accompany us!
We were given menus and ordered from their excellent range of beers. They advised my husband of a beer which he thoroughly enjoyed! They also bought our dog her own water bowl! The waiter was very friendly and relaxed ad let us enjoy our time. I can't quite comprehend people who say the staff are 'uninterested'. I personally don't think they are, I believe they just let you enjoy your Saturday night in your own time as a family.
We were so impressed with the service, we that returned again the following day for lunch. Again, the water bowl appeared for our dog and we were given all the menus. The food was superb! Absolutely delicious!
We must have been there for well over two hours, eating and relaxing with our beers. The staff were attentive, but again let us enjoy our time together.
I will be recommending this restaurant to anyone who fancies a trip to Canterbury. I thought all the staff were fantastic and I've never known a dining establishment to be so dog friendly. A 'must go'!

• Visited August 2013
Abu Dhabi
“disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Food was disappointed, service was hasty. It is supposed to be a Belgian café but they can't even make a proper Belgian waffle.

Visited August 2013