“Good Food-Indifferent Service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Trappiste Restaurant

La Trappiste Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Trappiste Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 361 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Good Food-Indifferent Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

By all accounts this should be an outstanding restaurant. The ambience is appealing and as for the menu of Belgian beers to try out the choice is positively encyclopaedic. The food menu looked quite promising as well. However, all this was let down by rather indifferent service. The management really do need to get a grip of this issue.

For starters the service was slow. I had to positively get up and ask for a menu. Then there was the issue of getting someone to serve me (and it was not an especially busy time). I went to the bar to order a beer and it took 12 minutes for the beer to arrive at my table (because I timed it). My food order was the classic burger. It is a very meaty burger and the menu has an advisory 15-20 minute waiting time for this choice. It took almost half an hour to arrive (again I had set my watch to make a note of the timing). That said, it was very pleasant when it finally came; the chips were hot, the tomato chutney was ok but not really spicy as noted in the menu and the meal satisfied my hunger pangs. Eating solo I always remember to bring my Kindle with me so my waiting time was not unduly wasted. On this occasion, as you can imagine I got quite a bit of reading done!

This is a restaurant that I would love to see doing well. It has something quite distinctive to offer. However, it has a way to go before it gets there and in a city where there is an abundance of choice I sense that the management has it all to do.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Erasmus16

“Return visit Beer and Food as good as before”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

This was our third visit and we sat upstairs on the balcony . We were approached quickly and given menus . The waitress returned promptly but we were not ready she was warm and welcoming and said no problem and returned again in about 5 mins . We ordered red wine and a couple of specialist beers . My wife had a lamb burger me muscles . The food came quickly and was good with good portions . It's not the greatest food or wonderful service but its fine if you like beers and a relaxed atmosphere . Not sure what its lime when very busy but when we walked around that saving it was packed and diners all looked to be having a good time . Loads of choice in Canterbury but I would go back again it really is worth a try

Visited August 2013
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“July 13”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have been to this restaurant several times in the last year, but our last visit has put us off going again. The restaurant didn't look very clean. Our food wasn't all that great either. My wife had fish and chips they managed to overlook it. My steak was also overlooked and so were the vegetables.
There are better restaurants in Canterbury , like the Olive Grove.

• Visited July 2013
Kent, Uk
“Uninterested staff, won't be returning!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have visited La Trappiste a few times. The service has always been slow but my previous visits were enjoyable, mainly due to the lovely views when dining upstairs. I had some family visiting and suggested we went to La Trappiste for breakfast. The restaurant was almost empty yet the waitress seemed totally uninterested in us. When choosing a table she seemed really annoyed and dumped the menus on a table with a sarcastic expression on her face. All the doors were open which meant all the tables for 4 people were situated in a draught. Due to a member of our party suffering from facial paralysis we were unable to sit in a draught. There were 3 large tables in the centre of the restaurant which were free. All tables had reserved signs on them. I asked the waitress if all 3 were in fact reserved as all the other tables were draughty, to which she grunted a noise suggesting they were. I asked if we could in that case sit upstairs as the remaining tables were all next to an open door and she said no. I then said in that case we would have to eat elsewhere as we could not be in a draught and she merely shrugged her shoulders.
We went on to have a wonderful breakfast with excellent service at a different restaurant. We walked back past La Trappiste an hour later and it was still empty with the 3 large "reserved" tables vacant. Canterbury has a wealth of wonderful restaurants such as Deesons opposite far superior to La Trappiste and so thankfully I won't find myself returning here again!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank flobo333
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Great beer, average food, terrible manager!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I visited one year ago, and the experience was disappointing - but thought I would give this place a second chance. Previously the butter was burnt for both the started, and main course - which was cold and disappointing. The chap who carries the keys - and presumably the manager - couldn't care less.

One year later and the the manager is still rude and unhelpful. He told us to go upstairs and sit down and wait - the room was completely empty upstairs !! There were still empty tables downstairs - it made no sense. We were about to leave, except that one of the young lads sorted us with a nice table downstairs. It still makes no sense why we were not shown to one of these tables to begin with. The restaurant did not fill up anymore as we were fairly late diners. The two waiters who served us were extremely helpful, polite and efficient. The beer was excellent. The food was decidedly average. Not good value for money.

I would go back for the beer - but not for food....and hope that the manager has learnt some tips from the other staff!

1 Thank LILLY B