“nice accident”

The City Arms
Ranked #90 of 375 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We came across the city arms by accident.what a nice surprise. We had a lovely meal and some real ale.my husband had fish and chips and I had steak and ale pie.the service was excellent and so was the food.I would recommend the city arms to everyone. We will visit again if we are ithe area.thank you city arms.

There are newer reviews for The City Arms

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Called in here for lunch. The bar staff were friendly enough and welcoming. We ordered fish cakes for my wife and I decided on lasagne BIG MISTAKE. It was not a good choice, the meat was not spiced at all covered with one layer of pasta with a tasteless slice of cheese melted on top seved with a few leaves of salad and a slice of garlic bread. Not good value for £8.50. My wife was not too impressed with the homemade fish cake. We will not return to eat in the future.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I visited the City Arms and had their "Best Roast" served every Sunday. City's Best Roast should be called the "UK's toughest Roast" or "The lousiest piece of meat you can buy anywhere". I was given a butter knife to cut it and after about ten minutes of sawing away was unable to cut through it and asked for a steak knife, which I was provided, however it didn't do much better. The Roast was totally uneatable. The service in the UK is bad anyway, but the staff didn't mind that I couldn't cut into the meat. I was offered no replacement for the beef. The staff was slow the food was terrible, this place gets one star, stay away!

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Popped in here for dinner on a wet afternoon. I like my real ales and selection here was good. Decided on steak & ale pie with creamy mash. Only disappointing part of this was that the mash was crumbly and dry but the steak pie was excellent with plenty of meat and lovely puff pastry. It made up for the mash.
Would certainly drink here again and eat too but would try something else from vast menu.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Good pub grub, frehsly-made, quickly and well- served. Ideal for central Canterbury. Had the home made soup and chicken pate which were both tasty and nicelty complemented with salad.