“Overpriced and over sweetened” 3 of 5 bubbles

Chambers of Canterbury
Ranked #173 of 361 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: American, Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and over sweetened”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Thought I'd try this, it looks fun but I think their business model is to fleece tourists once rather than build a regular customer base. The food was really overpriced and it was all really sweet, unnecessarily so.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank nicknepal
KentStorm5, Owner at Chambers of Canterbury, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Nothing on our menu is overpriced, in fact we are one of the cheapest cafés in Canterbury. Most of our Customer base are locals and have been for the last ten years. we are sorry you thought food was sweet, I'm assuming you had pancakes with Maple syrup or some kind of pancake stack and these are obviously going to be sweet. We do not and have never " fleeced our customers" we pride ourselves on good quality, good value food and our successful cafe proves this, but everyone has different tastes!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bland food, terrible service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Myself, partner and 2 children visited chambers today, the menu attracted us. My partner had a burger I had chilli with fries. The burger was dry, no flavour. My chilli was ok but no spicy heat to it. Frozen chips not fries! I also ordered a small bowl of beans for my one year old son, I asked for them to be warm. They came out stone cold. Sent them back to be reheated, took 10-15 mins to come back.
Not once did any of the waitresses ask if we enjoyed our food etc. Even after we had finished the girl said nothing of the sort.
We will not be returning back

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Albert-monkfish
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great coffee and yummy bagels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Visited here recently and was very pleased with it. Lovely, friendly service and delicious food for a reasonable price. Will definitely be visiting again

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Service was Shocking!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

After a recent visit to Chambers Cafe (looks very nice in the picture). I was extremly shocked with the service in the cafe.

Me and my friends ordered food off the menu which we waited a reasonable time for. Although having made a simple order we somehow ended up with food on our table which was not our order before the waitress noticed without an apolgy (a mistake that can happen). Although a simple apolgy would have been nice.

However, after getting our correct order items of food on my plate in my opinion after taking my very first bite were fairly cold. Having told the waitress about this, she made it very clear to me that i would have to pay for any extra items i wanted to replace. I did try and explain how the problem was not my fault so i dont see why i need to pay any extra for anything that is cold. The message i got back after talking with the waitress was to basically eat faster (although it was my first bite).

I was very unhappy with this and it was clear there was nothing i could do so i left.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Taylor C
KentStorm5, Owner at Chambers of Canterbury, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
This is a false accusation as we were not open on the day customer supposedly complained.
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Food great!! Service was great as usual the pancake menu is amazing!!! Great little place to go eat lunch !

• Visited January 2014