“Very friendly and consistently good!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Raj Venue
Ranked #175 of 361 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European, Nepali, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very friendly and consistently good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Set beside the large and medieval archway and the river Stour in Canterbury, the Raj Venue offers exceptionally good Indian cuisine. The staff are friendly and the restaurant is nicely presented which provides a good backdrop for a group or couple meal. I would especially recommend the Sunday buffet which offers a wide variety of well prepared food, including chicken tikka, Bombay aloo, chicken tikka masala and naan bread. This is made even better because it is all you can eat and is very affordable, even to students. Finally, the Raj Venue also offers a brilliant delivery service. Overall, I would recommend this establishment for its great service, excellent food and affordability.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Aaran H

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Give it a miss, and visit Indian village in sandwich Kent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband ordered tandoori mixed grill which was nice,i ordered chicken tikka masala , and we also ordered aloo gobi , chana masala, mushroom rice and peshwari naan, it was served in china desert bowl with no warming plate which I found odd, the naan was stone cold and when returned was so microwaved it was too hot to touch, and didn't taste nice ,and was stuffed with really dry coconut which all fell out when we cut it the side dishes were tasteless and my curry was dreadful I have never had a chicken tikka masala like it before , In fact all the food all looked as if was left over or precooked looking dry on the outside. When I complained after being asked by waiter how the food was, he just smiled the. brought the bill, i asked him why he bothered asking me if he did nothing ,the manager came over and rudely asked me if I complained every where I ate. After then telling me his food just had a different flavour to where I normally go and me saying no his food was just tasteless his removed 7.95 from the bill for the chicken tikka masala. We would never eat there again and any good review this place has, I think the people must never have had the pleasure of eating a proper nice Indian before and advise them to go to Indian village for a real Indian meal ! Ps both myself and my husband had stomache ache the next day which we never have usually after Indian food !

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lorraine1965Lorraine
Mendon, Vermont
“Good Indian food, very polite and attentive service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

The staff were very polite and attentive from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. As for the food, we had a mixed starter (chicken and lamb tikka, sheek kebab and onion bhaji), which was very good; and spinach and crab dish, which was too fishy for our liking. For the main course, we had Chicken Tikka Balti, Chicken Dhakeshwari and Chicken Rara, all of which were very good, together with pilau rice and naan bread. Overall, it was very good.

1 Thank flabrit
Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Definitely worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

All I can say is WOW. I have been going to this restaurant/ ordering takeaways for over ten years and each time it gets better and better.
The first thing I find truly amazing is that over the past few years we have moved houses three times, and the manager remembered each house and us each time we visit.
The staff are always so friendly. The service is prompt; the drinks arrive quickly, the poppadoms arrive within minutes. The food is incredible; somehow we always buy so much of it, however that is okay because it is delicious. The dips with the poppadoms are incredible. I could live on the food from the restaurant happily. We had lovely food including Chicken Tikka, Bhindi Baji and Bombay Aloo.
After you have finished the meal, the staff will bring over hand cleansers, lollypops, After Eight Mints and a cheeky glass of Baileys!
Upon leaving the restaurant, the waiters line up by the door to shake your hands.
Another lovely touch is the Indian music in the background- the music really makes the restaurant atmospheric.
I definitely recommend it to everyone- definitely multiple visits!

1 Thank Megz123
“Absolutely Fabulous Darling!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I really have no idea what Megan_Hazel and Nayzomi1 above were talking about! I have been coming to this wonderful establishment for almost 10 years now, and the food has been consistently excellent and the staff extremely friendly over the years. Overall, I really cannot fault it! I recommend everyone try the mushroom pilau - simply lovely!

1 Thank BethCorkus