“Excellent hotel in a central location”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed here on business and found the hotel charming. The location is excellent, right on the High Street. The High Street position should not put any potential guests off as there is no excessive noise owing to the excellent soundproofing.
A good gym as well.

I would have given this hotel five stars had it not been for the poor shower. I was on the second floor and my colleague was on the first and we both experienced extremely average showers. Poor water pressure and temperature fluctuations between luke warm and cold. This was the same in the evening and morning.

Otherwise a very pleasant and comfortable stay.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed here on a Sunday night for our 1st wedding anniversary and I couldn't have asked for more. I wasn't sure which hotel to go for but chose this one as it was central and to be honest the price seemed good for the quality of the hotel. The pictures on the website don't do justice to the rooms, I booked a 'Desirable' room and the room that we had was huuuge! I did put a note on our booking form to say that it was our anniversary, so I'm not sure if they upgraded us, but the room was fab - and I've never seen such a massive bed, and so comfy! The rooms seem to all come with a 'tuck box' which I must say had quite a generous selection of some very tasty bits and bobs.
I was also impressed by the complimentary toiletries which were animal friendly (BUAV approved).
The hotel itself is an interesting mix of modern and original features and we enjoyed a cosy 'night cap' in the bar whilst checking out the old beams and windows. We didn't have dinner here as we'd made plans elsewhere, but breakfast was very nice and the staff all friendly and helpful. There is also a rather cool lounge area upstairs with lots of old style features and furniture.
I was a little intimidated by the upper class feel of the place at first (not being very 'posh' myself) but the vibe of the place is really quite relaxed and friendly. All in all, highly recommended!

Room Tip: We chose the desirable room and if that it was we had (as I'm not sure if we were upgraded) it i...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola L
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed here again to celebrate my Wife's Birthday (18th March) and we were totally spoilt as usual. We got married at this hotel back in August 2012 and have stayed with them several times since. The staff can never do enough for you, in particular Steve, who makes you feel so welcome. We will back back very soon. Thank you.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I booked a category desirable room, number 203, on the second floor. The room was spacious and nicely appointed BUT it is situated by the lift shaft. The sound proofing in this room is poor and the noise from the lift is unacceptable. Loudly creaking floorboards from the room above added to the noise level. This room has no mini bar which is very disappointing. Bed was marvelous and towels were fluffy. Overall the room was nice. My credit card stopped working and the staff would not accept a DEBIT card. This meant that I had to count out cash for my in room breakfast in my pajamas ! Breakfast was great value, although they tried to charge me for two - this meant I had to answer the door again in my pj s. The bank told me that the problem with the card was the hotel Inputed the incorrect expiry date - not sure that was correct ! My left luggage got taken back to my room by the porter which also gave me cause for anxiety as they could not locate it. Location is superb and sound proofing from OUTSIDE is excellent.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank binky59
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed at the hotel last week for a night with my husband and son and thought that it was excellent. We had a large triple that was comfortable and plenty big enough for us. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in! It is in a great location for walking around Canterbury, and I will not hesitate to stay at ABode the next time I visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2014

As above. As a lawyer travel all round uk, hotel superb. Thought
Breakfast too expensive even given Michael clines credentials
The room was very
Comfortable and the bed lived up to its hype in the literature

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 15, 2014

From the outside, this hotel is beautiful and sitting in the heart of Canterbury. However, I found the hotel itself a little disappointing and overpriced. The parking is non-existent and the room a bit small. Staff were friendly and approachable. Most disappointing was the restaurant, which I found a little sterile

Stayed: November 2013
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you found the hotel disappointing. We have agreed a 5 year lease on the vacant land opposite the hotel which will provide an additional 25-30 car parking spaces. This should be available to use by the end of the month. Our accommodation rates start from £85, for the best possible price it is best to book direct with the hotel.

Regards