“Not good” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canterbury Steak & Grill House - CLOSED

Canterbury Steak & Grill House
Cuisines: British, Steakhouse
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Not good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I went last night with my family. We waited for more than an hour for main course, steak arrived cold, chunky chips are potato wedges not chips. I ordered fillet steak and it was so tough I could not eat half of it. Service was terrible, you had to grab passing waiters to get drink refill. I ordered cheese for dessert and after waiting 20 minutes was told there was no cheese! All in all we were there for 2 hours and had only 1 course.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Sara142

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Not as good as previous visits”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We have eaten here quite a few times, and taken friends and family here.
Unfortunately, as much as I would like to give a glowing review, because the staff are lovely, the food wasn't brilliant.
I love this type of food, but only have it occasionally as a treat. Therefore I want it to taste fab, and it didn't. I had the chicken burger, which was ok, but the chips were a real let down, they had a weird texture, were soft but underdone at the same time. I know, very strange! Not sure whether we'll go back, especially as I've yet to try Picture House, which seems to do similar food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

If Michelin stars were awarded for the meet and greet then they would get one, but that would be the only reason. The starters were fine, we ordered steaks for our main (rib eye and a sirloin). They arrived piled on top of giant overlooked potato wedges and I ordered the extra king prawns one of which was floating in my peppercorn sauce, the prawns were actually so undercooked that in parts they we still grey. Both steaks were so tough that the so called steak knives wouldn't touch them. They asked us if the meals were okay to which we replied no, at that point a manager should have appeared but there didn't seem to be one. We both left our mains and asked for the bill, we again stated that the food was awful and we couldn't eat it, still no manager. Normally I wouldn't have paid the bill for but we due at the theatre in 15 mins and couldn't waste the time. Never again will I darken their door and if you are sensible neither should you.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rovingsteve
Kent, United Kingdom
“Glad we chose the Canterbury Steak & Grill House.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

VISIT: Saturday 13th April' 2013

Me & my wife were in Canterbury for a show at The Marlowe Theatre (which by the way is a stones throw away from this restaurant) after walking up & down the High Street looking at the various different restaurants we decided to take the plunge & eat our evening meal at the Canterbury Steak & Grill House - We wasn't disappointed!.

The service from the waitresses was great they had our table ready & waiting for us when we arrived we got showed straight to our table took our drinks order & gave us plentiful time to look through the menu before asking us what we wanted to order. The food was great well presented very tasty & cooked to OUR requirements i.e. rare, medium, well done so many times we've been to the likes of Harvester & Brewers Fayre & asked for a medium cooked steak & its come out well done instead! - but not at the Canterbury Steak & Grill House.

Puddings were also lovely we had the apple crumble with ice cream - couldn't fault it.

PRICE: 2 course meal (mains & pudding) plus drinks for 2 adults cost £65 - we felt it was a little over priced BUT Canterbury isn't a cheap place to eat you would probably be spending roughly the same sort of price in any of the other restaurants in Canterbury!.

Would we return: YES
Would we recommend it: YES

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Average food - RUDE waiter!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We came here after work on a Friday evening about 5.30 just in time to take advantage of the 2 courses for £10 deal. Two of our party of four ordered a starter - calamari and salad. One being allergic to various things including dairy, so she always spends a whole finding something on the menu dairy free. When it came it had mayonnaise literally squeezed all over it and when she politely pointed out that she wouldn't be able to eat it, the waiter rudely asked her why she didn't think it would have mayonnaise on it, as he said "does the name calamari salad not give that away to you" snatched the plate and walked off on a huff to change it! So I think from there on we were pretty disappointed and were sure we wouldn't be coming back. I also ordered a lemonade and lime.. But they in fact gave me a (cheap!) soda and lime but still charged me for lemonade on the bill! .. Since the steak and strogonoff was only average and the customer service was diabolical we shall not be returning here!!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles