“This is the problem with vegetarian food”
Review of The Veg Box Cafe - CLOSED

The Veg Box Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Friendly veggie/vegan cafe serving fast, healthy food. Always seasonal using the best local, organic vegetables. Excellent teas, coffees and cakes.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have nothing against vegetarian food, if its done right it can be very good, however I struggle to see how this place has got such good reviews. Upon entry we got a very stern look from the lady behind the till, maybe she could tell I was a meat eater.

As a result of many of the mains being sold out I ordered the chickpea casserole, with a promise of a variety of ingredients to make it flavourful. The service was slow and the dish was bland, heavy and stodgy, with it just being chickpeas and not much else, at more than £8 per portion this was a total rip off as the cost price of this dish would have been close to 50p, the drinks were expensive as well. I'm sure the militant veggies will ensure that this place does not suffer the same fate as the bizarre 'the hutch' (if only that place was still there I would have a very interesting review to write!) but I was not impressed at all.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

great place with a friendly relaxed atmosphere and home made food feel,the food is always fresh nutritional and tasty get there early as they sometimes run out of items(A GOOD SIGN) an excellent place for people who what to know what they are eating as they are tuned into the food.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I love this place and visit every time I'm in canterbury. Its above a health food supermarket. In a quiet location. Its quiet, comfortable with a warm, friendly atmosphere. There is a good choice of healthy food. Home made hummus is wonderful. Food is delicious. I usually go there alone and I find it very comfortable. Would recommend it and will certainly visit again and again and again.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I have always been a fan of this gem of a place to eat wholesome well cooked food in Canterbury. Now I have two grandchildren it continues to be s lovely place to come for lunch as the venue is very child friendly and relaxed.

1  Thank pamread
Reviewed August 8, 2013

It is always difficult to find good vegetarian food, but this hidden gem above a 'health food' shop close to the heart of Canterbury is well worth straying from the main road to find. Not far from the shops, it offers a very good range of really first class foods and drinks; many appear to be locally sourced.

The surroundings are, perhaps, a little basic, but the food and service easily make up for that. Well worth a visit; we will certainly be back.

1  Thank Stephen P