“A small bar food menu but done to a high standard”
Review of The Dolphin

The Dolphin
Ranked #42 of 379 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The menu is fairly standard pub fayre but done to a high standard. The menu isn't extensive but caters for most tastes. The food was very tasty and the portions very sizeable for those with a healthy appetite. Only downside was the service whereby we weren't asked about drinks at all during the meal and had to keep going up to the bar. Nothing fundamental though and a nice choice for an informal meal. Great beer garden too, not that we got to see it due to the weather.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

First of, I have known The Dolphin for many years, first as a pub, with Bat and Trap ( a Kent game I understand) and now as a gastro pub.

This was my second visit and I am glad I came back! We both had the 'special' scrummy! Really nice vegetables., the carrots where a treat, tiny, sweet and plentiful. This was followed by crumble, next time I will have the custard, it looked delicious,

We washed this down with a wine for me and beer for my companion - the wine choice was a nice surprise, forget 'red, white or rose - this is NOT a pub, it caters for adults, not kids!

Small niggle, make sure you are not seated near the Gents toilet but if that is the worst thing I can say.....

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Loved the pub. Great outdoor space which would have been wonderful it it were warmer. We had a Pimms "party" with games inside and it was a blast. Food was ok, but we only had their appetizers and not entrees, which I heard were excellent. We went back again, we liked it so much!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Let me be clear, I hate pubs. I hate the english way of socializing, I despise warm beer, real ales,pork scratchings, communal board games "pub quiz's", "pub crawls" and most of all.... "pub grub"

The negative things I have to say are based on my opinion and taste so they should not reflect badly on this establishment because there is a whole country full of people who disagree..

The reason I am writing this review however is the food. The food here is exquisite. This is not "pub grub" this is fine dining. The portions are huge, the ingredients are completely fresh farm produce. There is a good variety of regular meals and daily specials and for the high quality being served, the price is very reasonable. It's also worth mentioning that this place is spotlessly clean and caters to a more refined clientelle. There are no beer stains and people playing loud mucis on their phones here!

I consider "british cuisine" to be an Oxymoron yet I eagerly come back here. I strongly recommend the food here because despite being a self confessed hardened anglophobe I keep coming here for the excellent food.

3  Thank daymannightman
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Holidays from Australia and stopped here for. Beer and meal (4pax)
Great on all accounts and will return..
The service is also good and provided s a great insight on Pommie pubs... Had a lot of fun.... Does have a beer garden out the back if sunny....