“Classy with a wood fired oven”
Review of Cafe du Soleil

Cafe du Soleil
Ranked #9 of 369 Restaurants in Canterbury
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cafe du Soleil is situated beside the river Stour in Canterbury occupying a former 18th century wool store and is accessed by its own bridge over the river. The building was restored with a grant from English Heritage and showcases the extensive use of reclaimed building material from the 14C city wall. Our cuisine draws influence from Provence in southern France, and from Italy, to create a modern Mediterranean cuisine. The menu changes with the seasons, and much of our food is cooked in our wood burning oven, fed with locally sourced wood from managed forest.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Classy with a wood fired oven”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Nice place with a more class and subdued atmosphere which is great for a quiet dinner for two
Lovely old building right on the river (you cross a bridge to the entrance)

Not a great variety on the menu but we have never been disappointed with the food here so often take friends when they visit Canterbury.

Good value for money with an early evening discount before 6pm

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Here comes the sun!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Imaginative dishes using a range of "ordinary" ingredients like brisket of beef and banana loaf which are then used in recipes which elevate taste to gastro levels.Great wines. Friendly attentive service.Amazingly low prices.

Kent
“generous nibbles”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Admittedly this is a very belated review, since we went there a year back, but I made it my mission to use this platform a little more often and also to write some reviews in retrospective. So here we go:

We went there in late summer last year, after my husband had been raving about the lamb kebab he had when he took a new work colleague out to dinner. I decided to order some 'nibbles' so went for a bowl of olives. At the price of (I believe it was) £2.50 I was expecting a rather stingy small bowl, so I ordered a bowl of roasted sweet potatoes. To my big surprise both bowls were rather big and the olives would have done nicely. My husband went for the lamb again (once he likes something, it is hard to convince him to try something else :) ). I decided to try the duck lasagne.

Both really good and filling dishes. But I reckon I was even more impressed by the massive stone oven, than the food. Oh and the young waiter serving us was very friendly, and it was nice to NOT have been called 'guys', like it seems customary in many places these days.

On a slightly 'negative' note. If you are looking for a romantic dinner with a quite ambient, then maybe this isn't the place to go. It depends what mood you are into. It can be very busy and lively in there. And I would recommend to make a reservation. We were lucky, had not made a reservation but arrived early enough to get a table. It's a popular restaurant for sure!

• Visited August 2012
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not Disappointed”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

After "doing" Canterbury with friends from the U.S, we called in at Café du Soleil for an evening meal. The restaurant was very busy and even though we hadn't made a reservation we were warmly welcomed by the serving staff. The food is exactly as advertised on their website, so we were not disappointed. Pizzas are cooked in a wood fired oven and are in a different league to anything you are likely to find in a pizza chain restaurant. Two of us had the Duck Confit and it was amazing - the best we had ever tasted. Our friends from the U.S said it was the most enjoyable meal they had eaten during their visit to the U.K.

Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
“A Fabulous Meal on a Sunny Sunday Evening- With Lovely Staff!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We decided to go for a meal on a whim and have always wanted to try Cafe Du Soleil. We had 3 courses, myself (Callamari, Cod and Chocolate Cake) and my partner (Duck selection, Lamb, Lemon and Orange Cheesecake). The food was of an exceptionally high quality, full of flavour and a real gastronomic treat. It was also shockingly cheap- £69.50 for our food and drinks- which for Canterbury makes this restaurant a real bargain when considering the quality of the food. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and helped to create a relaxed atmosphere where we didn't feel rushed. Our food arrived quickly and there was just the right amount of time between courses. We will definately be back!