“Brilliant restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe du Soleil

Cafe du Soleil
Ranked #9 of 361 Restaurants in Canterbury
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cafe du Soleil is situated beside the river Stour in Canterbury occupying a former 18th century wool store and is accessed by its own bridge over the river. The building was restored with a grant from English Heritage and showcases the extensive use of reclaimed building material from the 14C city wall. Our cuisine draws influence from Provence in southern France, and from Italy, to create a modern Mediterranean cuisine. The menu changes with the seasons, and much of our food is cooked in our wood burning oven, fed with locally sourced wood from managed forest.
“Brilliant restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited in March and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The fish pizza was amazing and the restaurant had a nice atmosphere. Would definitely recommend!

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Every time I visit Cafe du Soleil I am impressed with the food and the service. It is a lovely restaurant with beautiful interior. It is also my son's favourite so good for children too! Their pizzas are great!

• Visited April 2013
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable meal, lovely interior”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I had tried Cafe Du Soleil before and had been disappointed with the food. However, we had a great meal this time round. The selection of mains is excellent and I found it hard to choose between 4 or 5 mains. In the end I went for rump steak. Cooked well, incredible amount of lovely creamy peppercorn sauce, delicious. Steak was a bit tougher than I would expect but still very nice.

Starter selection for me wasn't as good, but scallops and the souffle were delicious. House wine was very nice.

Atmosphere in the restaurant is great and the hostess/manager and waitress were both outstanding.

Would definitely eat here again.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank lovelyjubbly44
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Impressive Building, Eclectic Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been meaning to eat here since it opened, as it's such a lovely building and it is run by the same people as my old favourite, Cafe des Amis across the road. I was not disappointed. The menu was immediately attractive and I was easily persuaded to have a starter. The tofu salad was excellent and felt like it was doing me good as well as tasting exquisite. My mai course (locally caught fish) was fresh and very tasty. Wine was pleasant. Prices are reasonable and the staff friendly and professional. I wasn't blown away by anything, but this is the UK! (joke). I would go back, certainly. It seems particularly good for larger groups as it's spacious. The spaciousness could lead to a bit of an empty atmosphere on a quieter night, I thought.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Donsafe
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cafe du Soleil - Best brisket in town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Cafe du Soleil is one of my favorite places in Canterbury. I go there every week, and they have some of the most amazing dishes.

They are a fusion cuisine restaurant, so you will get many different dishes, ranging from pizzas, steaks, pasta, burgers, fish, and more.

Besides the variety, they have a special of the day or the week and usually they are splendid.

I can recommend 3 dishes on their menu. One of them is the brisket. Simply put, amazing. It's cooked so well, it just falls off the bone. The sauce made of red wine gives a lovely flavor. Served with macaroni and cheese, to my surprise, it really goes well together.

Also, their rib eye steak is to die for, a medium rare with delicious mash potatoes. You just can't go wrong with that.

Finally, this was a special I had a few months ago and it left me speechless. It was like having a date with a beautiful woman. It was venison curry. The unmistakable flavor of venison went so well with the curry and the rice and some thin onion rings. It made for a truly outstanding meal. I hope it will be back soon.

If you would like to get a lot of choice and guarantee a great meal go to Cafe du Soleil!

Also, I have to mention their friendly staff, they are always amazing and they really look after their customers.

Visited April 2013