“A (very late) review of a lovely Christmas Party”
Review of Cafe du Soleil

Cafe du Soleil
Ranked #5 of 382 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe du Soleil is situated beside the river Stour in Canterbury occupying a former 18th century wool store and is accessed by its own bridge over the river. The building was restored with a grant from English Heritage and showcases the extensive use of reclaimed building material from the 14C city wall. Our cuisine draws influence from Provence in southern France, and from Italy, to create a modern Mediterranean cuisine. The menu changes with the seasons, and much of our food is cooked in our wood burning oven, fed with locally sourced wood from managed forest.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Not exactly the most timely review, but I was very impressed with the Christmas Meal provided so wanted to write this review anyway.
There were around 20 rowdy members to my party and luckily for other diners we were given the top section of the restaurant. It's lovely up there, exposed beams and flickering candles, and we had our own dedicated waiter who was cheerful and good fun. We'd all pre-ordered from the very tempting Christmas menu. I had a squid salad to start-beautifully cooked, incredibly fresh squid served with juicy sundried tomatoes, rocket leaves and a light and simple olive oil dressing. Really enjoyed this, I love squid when it's so well prepared and not covered in a batter. Top marks. I then had a butternut squash risotto, served with deep-fried samphire. This again was absolutely delicious-the samphire was crisp and salty and complimented the cheese stirred through the risotto and the tender butternut squash. I pinched a little of my friend's macaroni cheese which accompanied his roast beef (and odd chocie we thought at first but it works!) and it was delicious. I also managed to squeeze in a dessert of passion fruit cheesecake which was sweet, sharp and perfect. The 3 course menu was on the more expensive side but so worth it, the best Christmas meal I've had, so much better than insipid vegetables with a dry bit of turkey. Will definitely be going back to sample the wood fired pizzas. Very impressive.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

A good combination of an extensive mediterranean menu and a very pleasant ambiance. We found the staff very friendly & helpfull.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The best place to eat in Canterbury and I have eaten in them all. The food was excellent. I have been four times now and never disappointed. The atmosphere is lovely. Very calm and relaxed. The chefs never seem to get flustered and the front of house staff are courteous and considerate. Good wine list and menu choice. Comfortable seating and a degree of intimacy that makes the meal special. Go there!

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We don't normally leave reviews, but felt we should on this occassion. On 3rd January we held our wedding reception in the function room here. We couldn't rate this restaurant and its staff highly enough. John and his staff were so helpful in making our day special from start to finish. We had about 30 guests and everybody said how lovely the location and food was. The room looked beautiful, with the old beams and candelabras on the lovely oak tables. We didn't need to add any decoration of our own. The food was all freshly cooked and locally sourced, and everyone (including my veggie and fussy husband) was catered for. The staff really helped to make the day, being so accommodating to our guests and their children's needs. We really had a wonderful day, and this restaurant will always hold special memories for us.

1  Thank Daffodil32
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I recently went to this restaurant (26 January 2013) for a Graduation celebration. There were 14 in our party and we all felt very well looked after. The atmospher was lovey, waiter helpful and decor beautiful! Some of the food was a little underseasonded however on the whole, we all enjoyed out meal and will definately be returning! Thanks