“Warm welcome, good food & great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Millers Arms

The Millers Arms
Ranked #4 of 78 Canterbury B&B and Inns
St Albans
“Warm welcome, good food & great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

Spent a night at the Millers Arms, arriving Saturday and leaving on Sunday. Received a very warm welcome from Declan who had only been there for a few weeks. Booked into the Millers Tale which has a four poster and has a lovely aspect over the river. Although you can hear the rushing water we found it an ideal place to stay. It is only a few minutes walk from the town centre and was great for our first visit to Canterbury. Parking is £5 for 24 hours in the public car park less than a 100 yards away. Breakfast including full English if required was included in the price. We will return for sure.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaroleS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2009

This charming real ale pub has eleven fresh, cheerful, spotless rooms which seem newly and quite charmingly renovated and furnished. Street side rooms are fairly quiet, facing a beautiful weir and landscaped gardens. Rooms at the back have no traffic noise though you may hear people chatting in the beer garden until 11pm. 'The wife of bath's tale' room had a stunning view of the cathedral. At £80 for two people (it has a 3rd single bed) I thought it good value for a pricey city. The landlord offered a warm welcome for all pilgrims and generous hot breakfast.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JJSeymour
Maidstone, Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

I have just returned form a two night break in Canterbury with colleagues for an end of term shopping trip. We really liked the place! Friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms - the one I was in had a view of the cathedral out of one window and a river out of the other - a good range of Fairtrade tea, coffee and hot chocolate in our room, lovely cooked breakfast and so convenient for strolling in and out of the town centre. The rooms were a bit warm - they are waiting to get that sorted - but we could live with that. There is no private parking but you can buy a 24 hour parking permit from them for £5 which is a bargain! Definitely going to return.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Too warm.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
East Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

We stayed one night and having arrived at lunchtime began by eating there, which was excellent. We parked in the St Radigunds pay and display car park over the road, for which we had a £5 voucher from the hotel, which lasted 24hours. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was fine (the Knight's Tale) as was the large ensuite bathroom. Our only problem was the shortage of hot water - enough for one bath in the evening, but none at all when we rose later than other guests next morning. This was soon rectified by a call to reception, who sent someone up with a key to a different room with a working shower, but I had to follow him down the corridor in my bath towel, as they don't provide robes. However, I had to call him back again because I couldn't get hot water there either. It turned out that you had to turn the handle to the COLD setting to get hot water. Silly me. Overall, I would recommend this place though - it's a great location, and has a good atmosphere. They serve good beer and the breakfast was great.

• Liked — The pub/restaurant downstairs.
  • Disliked — Lack of hot water for bath.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2008

Stayed Mon & Tues night this week at The Millers Arms. Yes the decor is 'chintzy' and not to my personal taste but it was spotlessly clean and what do you want for the money - I was never expecting something 'posher' for that price and over a pub. It fully deserves it's 4* rating which will be based on all the little extras in the room and the cleanliness of the room, the quality of the cooked breakfast and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I'm very fussy about where I stay and normally stay in boutique and contemporary hotels paying a small fortune per night but this time I was travelling with others and had to work within their budget. I was nervous that I would feel uncomfortable but how wrong I was.

The full English breakfast was the best I have ever eaten anywhere I have stayed and one evening we ate in the pub - this was the same. The staff carried our luggage to our room, they booked us taxis when required. Board games are available behind the bar. They asked us if we'd like a pot of tea when we sat reading papers in the pub - even though the pub wasn't open at that time. I can't fault the service in any way.

Here's the minus points but these were in no way detrimental to my stay. 1) There are several weirs directly opposite the pub and, if you are a light sleeper, the noise of the water running through them may keep you awake - but my mother was in a room at the back of the pub and there wasn't a sound to be heard there. 2) My room was too warm for me overnight, but this wouldn't be an issue for everyone - unfortunately I wasn't able to turn the radiator off so I simply slept with the windows open.

One of my son's has gone to university in Canterbury so I'm expecting to visit quite a few times over the next 4 years. 6 weeks ago I stayed in another Canterbury hotel (they are quite thin on the ground) which was a terrible experience but I know where I'll be coming back to for each future visit.

Thank you everyone at The Miller's, you were wonderful.

• Liked — atmosphere, cleanliness, staff, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LittleCWiltshire
Merida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2008

We stayed at the Millers Arms for one night, and frankly for such a top-rated hotel we were expecting something a bit posher. However, it is a pub, so the proximity to fresh pints made up for the decor. There was a bit of a heating issue though...we stayed in the family room on the top floor, the Wife of Bath Tale, and the boilers were right next to the room, making it very hot and stuffy. So, we asked the staff to turn the heat off, and were very comfortable for the rest of the night... however, when we went down for breakfast the next morning, a middle-aged couple were complaining bitterly about how cold their ground-floor room was. Otherwise, the pub was lovely, good food and excellent real ale, the staff very warm and helpful, and the location couldn't really be better.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — The ancient heating system
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

We stayed here for two nights. From the moment we arrived till the time we left all of the staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was fine and quiet (on second floor), well equipped, and the breakfast was good with a choice of cooked, continental or fish, plus cereals, toast etc. The pub itself is also very friendly too with well-kept real ale and wines, although we didn't eat there so can't comment on the restaurant. The location is excellent, in a quiet, characterful area but within a very few minutes walk of the centre, and easy to walk to either station too. We'd happily go back there again.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple