“Cozy stay in Canterbury” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Millers Arms

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Millers Arms
Ranked #4 of 81 Canterbury B&B and Inns
“Cozy stay in Canterbury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Location was amazing and the breakfast was delicious- I highly recommend this quaint hotel. We stayed here the last week in November and really enjoyed it. The floors were pretty squeaky, but everything was nice and tidy. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Luv2travel1308

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Cork
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

I stayed in The Millers Arms for the second time a couple of weeks ago, I had stayed there before I was not happy with the place on my first visit but I made allowances as they were carrying out renovations on the bar area. I booked it this time and asked specificaly not to be put in a named room in the front of the building, I did not wish to stay in that room as the windows are draughty and the sound from the mill race is head wrecking. The room is full of clutter and the bathroom window which is not frosted, opens onto the street (it does have a pull down blind) only for the blind you would be in full view of the public while doing your business.
There was no hot water in the mornings when I asked I was told that a lot of people were using it and it had run out. I also tried to have a shower at 10 pm but there was no hot water then either. The floor boards outside the room on the landing and corridors were as noisy as the mill race.
The breakfast was served by a young lady who obviosly had no training and no interest in the job and less interest in being polite. The food for breakfast was served in chaotic order.
I just don't understand how the EU allows these old converted houses to accomodate people never mind charge them for the privilage. Give me modern souless places before these " olde english quaint ale house boarding houses" knock it down and build a new one with proper windows at least

Room Tip: Are there good rooms in this ale boarding house ?
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
KENT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Me and my boyfriend recently spent 3 nights at this hotel.
Location wise it is perfect.. 2 minutes walk to the city centre, and quiet enough to get a brilliant nights sleep.
Everything was perfect...
Check in, breakfast, location, price.
We would most definately return...
Can't thank the staff enough. Their customer service is spot on, and they are worth their weight in gold. Particular thanks to Angela... And there was another girl.. But we didn't get her name :( sorry!
Keep up the fab work!!!

• Stayed November 2011
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed overnight at The Millers Arms what a cosy room, so warm & inviting, it over looked the river which is quite noisey but adds to the charm. Breakfast was most enjoyable with a choice of hot & cold food, staff were very friendly. We don't live that far from Canterbury but went to see a show & thought we'd make a night of it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is not a hotel but a pub B&B, so be prepared for there to be an active pub in the building! However, before you panic, it is an up-market pub that does not appear to get overly busy, play loud music or have rowdy customers. Quiz night (if that’s what it was – it looked like one) was the busiest evening of the week and we could still hear nothing from our second floor room.

We spent 6 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was smallish but we didn’t come on holiday to sit in a bedroom all day! The en-suit twin room was well equipped with flat screen TV, radio alarm, tea and coffee, a hair dryer, and sufficient storage space. The bathroom had a full size bath complete with a shower.

The room was very clean and the carpet, furniture and furnishings in good order. The beds were very comfortable. The bedding and towels were of excellent quality and changed regularly (every other day).

Our room, the ‘Merchants’ (they are all named after the Canterbury Tales), was on the second floor at the front of the building, overlooking the river and the old mill site. There was no appreciable noise from traffic, from passers-by, or from the pub below. However, there was a constant noise of rushing water from the sluices on the river. While this was not overly distracting to us it might perhaps be to other people, particularly with the windows open.

I would expect that rooms at the rear of the building would be quieter (facing away from the river) but the view may include other buildings and roof tops etc, but I understand that from some rear rooms you get a view of the cathedral.

If you have difficulty with stairs then consider a first floor room, but I cannot comment on whether you can hear the pub below or not.

Breakfast is excellent and the dining room (restaurant) a very pleasant place to eat it. However, unless you stick to the self-service cold items then expect a good wait for your cooked breakfast as everything is cooked to order. I would recommend 45 minutes minimum if you don’t want to be rushed.

We ate dinner in the pub on one of the evenings and had a truly enjoyable meal; good quality and tasty at a reasonable price.

The staff were very pleasant and friendly and always willing to assist. The location was ideal for the city centre. We could walk to the central streets in 5 minutes, to West station in 8 minutes, and to East station in 20 minutes.

Highly recommended for ‘pub B&B’ – better than average! We’ve already talked about going back at some point!

Room Tip: Some rooms at the front offer lovely views of the river and the old mill sluices, but the noise of t...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Malc-at-York
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I booked 2 nights here (via expedia a few months in advance) as a surprise anniversary present for my boyfriend. The hotel is in a good location, a few minutes' walk from Canterbury Cathedral but in a nice quiet area. There is parking across the road and you can buy a £5 pass from the hotel to avoid paying over the odds to leave your car.
We stayed in the Reeve's Tale room and it was just as expected - not loads of space but it was clean and had a view of the cathedral. Tea, coffee and biscuits were all provided and the shower was good, so we were happy with that. Breakfast was included in the hotel price and I was very impressed at the amount of choice we had. Staff were generally friendly and polite so we were very happy. There was a bit of noise outise our room which woke us up very early on Friday morning but I can't fault the hotel for this.
HOWEVER! On check out I was charged £95 for our room and parking. This didn't seem quite right as i thought it was a bit more expensive than that but assumed that I had paid a deposit when I booked by my credit card. On arriving home I checked back through my emails and it turned out that I had paid Expedia the full amount in advance so I had been charged twice. To say I was unimpressed was an understatement - it took 5 days for the hotel to contact me and refund the amount they had taken. I would have given this place 4 stars but I'm knocking 2 off for this. I don't like to write bad reviews but I would hate for this to happen to anyone else!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smileykate100
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Having stayed at a Shepherd Neame pub in Broadstairs we we keen to stay at another one of their properties. However the price we were charged at checkout was much more than we had been quoted on the phone. When we queried the difference we were told "thats the price on the system". Also once you added the parking fee on it just made this room so expensive. Wish we had tried to pay up front, as we would have left and found somewhere else to stay. Only stay here if you don't mind paying over the odds for a less than average room.

Room Tip: Room tired and grubby. Also asked not to use the spa bath as it causes a leak into the bar.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family