“Loved it!”
Review of The Millers Arms

The Millers Arms
Ranked #4 of 74 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed overnight at The Millers Arms what a cosy room, so warm & inviting, it over looked the river which is quite noisey but adds to the charm. Breakfast was most enjoyable with a choice of hot & cold food, staff were very friendly. We don't live that far from Canterbury but went to see a show & thought we'd make a night of it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Millers Arms

Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is not a hotel but a pub B&B, so be prepared for there to be an active pub in the building! However, before you panic, it is an up-market pub that does not appear to get overly busy, play loud music or have rowdy customers. Quiz night (if that’s what it was – it looked like one) was the busiest evening of the week and we could still hear nothing from our second floor room.

We spent 6 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was smallish but we didn’t come on holiday to sit in a bedroom all day! The en-suit twin room was well equipped with flat screen TV, radio alarm, tea and coffee, a hair dryer, and sufficient storage space. The bathroom had a full size bath complete with a shower.

The room was very clean and the carpet, furniture and furnishings in good order. The beds were very comfortable. The bedding and towels were of excellent quality and changed regularly (every other day).

Our room, the ‘Merchants’ (they are all named after the Canterbury Tales), was on the second floor at the front of the building, overlooking the river and the old mill site. There was no appreciable noise from traffic, from passers-by, or from the pub below. However, there was a constant noise of rushing water from the sluices on the river. While this was not overly distracting to us it might perhaps be to other people, particularly with the windows open.

I would expect that rooms at the rear of the building would be quieter (facing away from the river) but the view may include other buildings and roof tops etc, but I understand that from some rear rooms you get a view of the cathedral.

If you have difficulty with stairs then consider a first floor room, but I cannot comment on whether you can hear the pub below or not.

Breakfast is excellent and the dining room (restaurant) a very pleasant place to eat it. However, unless you stick to the self-service cold items then expect a good wait for your cooked breakfast as everything is cooked to order. I would recommend 45 minutes minimum if you don’t want to be rushed.

We ate dinner in the pub on one of the evenings and had a truly enjoyable meal; good quality and tasty at a reasonable price.

The staff were very pleasant and friendly and always willing to assist. The location was ideal for the city centre. We could walk to the central streets in 5 minutes, to West station in 8 minutes, and to East station in 20 minutes.

Highly recommended for ‘pub B&B’ – better than average! We’ve already talked about going back at some point!

Room Tip: Some rooms at the front offer lovely views of the river and the old mill sluices, but the noise of t...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Malc-at-York
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I booked 2 nights here (via expedia a few months in advance) as a surprise anniversary present for my boyfriend. The hotel is in a good location, a few minutes' walk from Canterbury Cathedral but in a nice quiet area. There is parking across the road and you can buy a £5 pass from the hotel to avoid paying over the odds to leave your car.
We stayed in the Reeve's Tale room and it was just as expected - not loads of space but it was clean and had a view of the cathedral. Tea, coffee and biscuits were all provided and the shower was good, so we were happy with that. Breakfast was included in the hotel price and I was very impressed at the amount of choice we had. Staff were generally friendly and polite so we were very happy. There was a bit of noise outise our room which woke us up very early on Friday morning but I can't fault the hotel for this.
HOWEVER! On check out I was charged £95 for our room and parking. This didn't seem quite right as i thought it was a bit more expensive than that but assumed that I had paid a deposit when I booked by my credit card. On arriving home I checked back through my emails and it turned out that I had paid Expedia the full amount in advance so I had been charged twice. To say I was unimpressed was an understatement - it took 5 days for the hotel to contact me and refund the amount they had taken. I would have given this place 4 stars but I'm knocking 2 off for this. I don't like to write bad reviews but I would hate for this to happen to anyone else!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smileykate100
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Having stayed at a Shepherd Neame pub in Broadstairs we we keen to stay at another one of their properties. However the price we were charged at checkout was much more than we had been quoted on the phone. When we queried the difference we were told "thats the price on the system". Also once you added the parking fee on it just made this room so expensive. Wish we had tried to pay up front, as we would have left and found somewhere else to stay. Only stay here if you don't mind paying over the odds for a less than average room.

Room Tip: Room tired and grubby. Also asked not to use the spa bath as it causes a leak into the bar.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2011

If you’re visiting Canterbury then this hotel is ok for location and staffs was very friendly. We were very disappointed with the room which was very basically furnished and the toilet bowl was badly cracked but the view of the cathedral was wonderful. Food was very tasty but although a specials board was displayed, when we asked about it, we were told nothing on it was available and it was removed. The receptionist for the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful and looked after our case whilst we explored Canterbury.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ronborrett
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Too bad I didn't read SuzymoDo's review before we booked (although we must have been there the week after she was) because we had a similar experience and in the same room, The Knight's Tale. In addition to the dingy room, we also found the roach trap (mouse trap?) behind the sink but the hooker was the fact that the toilet didn't flush. Unfortunately, we checked in on Saturday at 1830 and first flushed the toilet at 2030. We called the desk and were told that the hotel had had "some problems with the toilet" but a plumber was supposed to have fixed it, and that the barmen didn't know anything about toilets so we would have to wait for the cook to finish cooking and he would have a look at it. When we decided to leave at that point, a manager came from the hospital where his wife was having a baby but he wasn't a plumber either so that was that. On the good side, the mattress problem that SuzymoDo had was solved by replacing the mattress with a new one but unfortunately there was no mattress pad on it. The staff agreed to waive our "no cancel" charge and did help us find another hotel an hour's drive in the middle of the night so, yes, they are friendly but the real solution to the problem at the Millers Arms is to close it up, fix it up, get rid of the mice or roaches, get the toilets working, then open it to paying guests, and not the other way around. Basically, we missed seeing Canterbury altogether because of this experience and we came a long way to do just that. Finally, in terms of "value", forget it! They were relatively inexpensive at 75 GBP for B & B, but we found a nice hotel in London and several other B&Bs in Southwest England on our three-week trip that were in the same price range and a whole lot nicer. And the toilets even worked!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ChiT0wn2
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here with my fiance while we were in Canterbury for a friend''s wedding and had a very enjoyable stay. We had a family ensuite room with a view of the cathedral which was nice. The room had tea and coffee-making facilities and was comfortable. The staff are very friendly and the breakfast truly was delicious! We would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple