“My favourite place for lunch!”
Review of Canteen

Canteen
Ranked #49 of 377 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Healthy
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Just three doors to the left of Canterbury Cathedral Gate Canteen serves freshly made flatbreads,salads, baguettes, toasties, jacket potatos and daily hot dish / soup. Everything is made to order from freshly prepared ingredients using local suppliers wherever possible. The building dates back to around 1600 and from the windows you can get glimpses of the Cathedral (particularly from the loo !). It is a rather rickety building so you need to be OK with stairs as our seating is over three floors. We provide eat in or take away food and a large variety of hot and cold drinks including smoothies and juice pressed on the premises. Due to popularity we also now serve delicious cream teas.
Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

With so many options to chose from I always go for the same thing: bacon and Brie with onion marmelade. It's too yummy to not go for every time! The service is great, they always make you feel welcome. I recommend you sit on the top floor because you get a great view of the street below.

My only comment for improvement is on the cutlery - I couldn't find any clean cutlery, so instead of just saying something to the staff (like I should have, as they are very happy to help), I just went without.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Located in the heart of Canterbury canteen is based on fresh ingredients for a healthy lifestyle. This cafe is a good place if you fancy a light lunch or healthy snack.
There are a vast range of wraps, pittas and salad that can all be customised to own preference. Friendly staff & good prices.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I come here every day for lunch.

The food is great. There's a well thought out menu, which is fresh, wholesome and unprocessed together with great value for money portioning and the coffee has to be one of the best cups you can get in Canterbury too. The system of designing your own flatbread or salad works great and the menu is very well complemented by the interesting and regularly varied selection of specials too.

Very attentive and friendly staff and owner + good wholesome food = recommendation without reservation.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Simply YUM YUM YUM. Without doubt the best lunch in Canterbury

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Party of 4, dad (65), mom (63), daughter & son-in-law (both 31), hungry for lunch we wandered about Canterbury poo-pooing one another's suggestions until we happened upon Canteen. Tempted, we took a chance. Talk about striking lucky! Service was friendly, welcoming and helpful when weighing up the menu options. The food was fresh, delicious, filling, made to order and more than we ever expected. The salad dressings were even made fresh on the spot (and quite quickly). Prices were very reasonable for a "tourist town" and, quite honestly, the price didn't reflect the quality. There is indoor seating over 3 floors so don't be put off if it looks busy on the ground floor. We went straight for the top and had a fun view over the bustling town; and not to worry, they even brought the food to our table. Family friendly, group of friends friendly, clean & casual atmosphere. The staff were very helpful, welcoming and accommodating. It's a local business and a true gem. My family and I highly recommend it.

2  Thank Jrsybird