“the tale of jenny greenteeth”

Canterbury Punting Company
Ranked #2 of 14 Tours in Canterbury
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Canterbury Punting Company offer river tours around Canterbury's historic city centre.You can choose either a Historic tour, a haunted river tour or a romantic tour for two. Tours last around 50 minutes.The boats used are traditional punts, which have comfortable cushions and blankets.
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“the tale of jenny greenteeth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

booked a trip with my bf for a romantic halloween/one week anniversary punt. arrived to find blankets and hot water bottle making the trip oh so warm. had a great punter/tour guide to scare us with the gruesome tales of canterbury old. definitely one to recommend.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jenny G

Roermond
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Relaxed in a boat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had a tour on the river Stour, with Andy as the guide/captain/motor.
It was a very nice experience, relaxed, and very entertaining.
A must do in Canterbury, to see the toen from an other side.

Kent
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We decided to book a trip for a large group of us recently and we was so disappointed. We was accused of being late even though we was early, they had got the times wrong. They blamed the confusion on administration after I showed them the email but there was no apology for the rudeness. Because of the awkwardness non of us enjoyed the trip. I had asked before I booked the trip how many can be seated in one boat and was told 12. On the night our group was separated into 2 boats. We had children with us and they were charged the adult rate instead of half price. The only good thing about the trip was one of the guides Miguel, he was polite, friendly and knowledgeable. The huffing and puffing attitude completely ruined the experience for us, we will not be going again!

1 Thank Wangle2013
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Punting Tours: excellent! Administration: meh.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

A couple of years back a few friends and I went on a haunted punting tour around the waterways of Canterbury. Our host, Miguel, was full of stories told in the manner of a gentleman from the 1930s and we had a wonderful evening.
With Halloween upon us we decided to return to this unique evening of entertainment and so we booked once more. Being told via email that our boat could take 12 people, we found 11 people ready to tour the darkened rivers of Canterbury.
So this evening we travelled down to Canterbury ready for our pre-booked 8 o'clock tour. On the journey I received a text asking if we knew our way there. "Very nice" I thought, that attention to detail. I quickly replied saying that we were on our way and asked if they had a toilet (I knew a few of us would need it before being surrounded by water for an hour) to which they replied "yes".
When we arrived at 7.50pm we found a small folk group playing music in the Punting Company's small shop and a worried looking girl opened the door. She quickly exclaimed that we were late and a gentleman with her gruffly said we were supposed to be there for 7.15. I explained that the tour was booked for eight and there was a general feeling of unease and I admit we all felt a little unwelcome.
When a few of us asked to use the toilet we were told, "just one!" by the girl. We were finally each allowed to use the toilet but told to keep quiet so as not to disturb the band. Things turned a little more polite when we showed them the email with the booked time but the discomfort had settled in.
After all of this I was close to just asking for a refund but as we had all travelled for 45 minutes, I didn't want to waste the evening.
After a little more grumbling about the fact that they would now have to use two boats as apparently 11 was too many we climbed aboard feeling somewhat embarrassed, and were very relieved to find our previous host Miguel climbing aboard one of the boats.
As we travelled down the moonlight river Miguel (whom I was lucky enough to have as host of my boat) explained that he would get a little way in before telling us the ghost stories.
Five minutes later Miguel, using a long pole to propel his punting boat along the river, began his tales and the previous discomfort slipped away.
We heard stories of WW2 soldiers meeting scarfaced apparitions, accused witches meeting their ends in the dark swirling waters beneath us and the hideous Jenny Greenteeth luring victims down into the water to meet their ends.
At the halfway point Miguel's pole became stuck in the mud and we drifted along helpless and laughing until he pulled himself back with branches to retrieve it, making jokes the entire time.
We made a u-turn a little way out of the lights of the city and slowly made our way back and at this point Miguel asked us if we had any personal stories of ghostly incidents.
The only one that came to mind was a day in which I thought I had seen an old friend who had died a week previous among a group of people. Thinking I had been mistaken on that day, I had returned to my caricature pitch only to feel a tap on the shoulder. It was his wife.
When we returned the awkwardness of earlier was all gone and we walked away thanking them for a lovely evening.
If you're after an amazing evening I would highly recommend the Canterbury Punting Tours.
I would however add a note of caution with a few pieces of advice:

1. Make sure several times that you have confirmed the times and amount of people.
2. Ask for Miguel and accept no substitutes.

1 Thank Stumpington
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 239 helpful votes
“A Different View of Canterbury and Lots of Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We took the historic tour down the River Stour with our guide Ian. It gives one a different view of the city of Canterbury.

The office building has refreshments and snacks that are available to purchase. The boats (punts) are shallow bottom boats, as the river is not very deep. There are many foot bridges over the river, so in some spots you have to duck to get under the bridge. The price for the tour was 8 Euros per person and it was about 40 minutes in duration. Ian was very knowledgeable and told us anecdotes of the buildings that we passed by and of the town of Canterbury itself.

We enjoyed ourselves so much that we booked the Ghost Tour for the next evening which went in the opposite direction on the River Stour. If you find yourself in this lovely English town this is a recommended activity.

Visited November 2012