“Why oh why indeed . . . .”

Deeson's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Deeson's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 369 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Canterbury now benefits from the new high speed link to London as well as a regular network of rail, coach and bus routes.
Description: Deeson's restaurant is a British restaurant set in the heart of the historic Cathedral city of Canterbury. At Deeson's we pride ourselves on serving the best of seasonal produce that is available to us from Kent the allotment of England and Britain. Our menu celebrates everything that is great about Britain and it's culinary history. At Deeson's we have the freedom to change our menu's on a daily basis directed by the feedback we receive from our suppliers letting us know which products are particularly good at any given time.
Maidstone
“Why oh why indeed . . . .”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Why oh why must people from the 'Big Smoke' come to the wretched provinces and delight in slagging off the restaurants? I've eaten in my share of fine dining restaurants - I wouldn't have said 'Deeson's' is fine dining, by the way; moreover, I wouldn't have said it pretends to be - and I'd put 'Deeson's' up there with the best of them. We've enjoyed all our meals there and, since moving to Canterbury last year, and having been terribly disappointed by a number of the city's other restaurants, we've resolved it's pretty much the only place we'll take friends to. On the most recent occasion, I was persuaded to have the pork - my husband raves about the pork belly, but it's not a cut I fancy - because I was so tempted by the pork shoulder and black pudding stuffing, and bubble and squeak. It was absolutely stupefyingly good. I understand the head chef was recently voted into the top three chefs in Kent - admittedly a horribly provincial award! - and it's an accolade richly deserved. I LOVE IT!

1 Thank Annabelle D

Deal, United Kingdom
“Pre Theatre dinner for two”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Service was very attentive. Attempted to be fine dining with presentation but fails as food very bland and over cooked. White chocolate cheesecake was good but overall meal was very disappointing. Hype about locally sourced products on menu made but of no consequence as poorly over cooked with no seasoning. White bait was soggy and mashed potatoes watery. Fish was over cooked which was a pity as had good crispy skin. Although staff were very pleasant it was irritating to be constantly asked if I wanted a soft drink when it had been made clear that I was driving and only required water. Felt like he had been set back to up sale. Glad we had set menu as would have been annoyed to receive such bland food at prices on over priced full menu.

1 Thank mollymeg56
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely local food”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

If we've ever got friends visiting Canterbury, we'll always take them to Deesons. It really is a fantastic restaurant with some lovely local food. The pork is always particularly delicious - and a great addition to being able to have a local ale/beer too with your food! It's slightly more expensive than other restaurants in the area, but that probably represents the quality of food. Definitely visit!

• Visited July 2013
london
“Aspirational and disappointing food”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I got taken here for a business dinner, there were quite a lot of us. To be honest I couldn't fault the service but the food was well off the mark. Why oh why do provincial restaurants attempt to aspire to fine dining and then get it very very wrong? My mackerel starter was shocking. A tiny piece of mackerel which appeared to have been microwaved sat bereft on top of some tasteless veg. My main of seabass was very over cooked as if it had been steamed for quite some considerable time and had a very soapy texture. Again it was perched on top of some uninspired veg. The worst was the cheese. How can any restaurant get cheese wrong ? It's surely almost impossible. But no this cheese plate was made up of thin slithers of a few cheeses cut into tiny horizontal pieces spiked with several biscuits sticking out all over the place, surrounded by sliced yes sliced grapes. (Was there a shortage?) Awful.

1 Thank stargazeypie
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Evening out”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

The choice available on the menu was substantial and each made you lick your lips with suggestive temptation
The wine list was excellent and the staff also had a thorough knowledge of each and suggested suitable choice to accompany your menu choice
The restaurant was busy but this didn't slow down the service or reduce the quality of food delivered to our table
Lovely to see a local (Kent) dessert just loved the Gypsy tart
Excellent night