“Unique, comfortable and welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Arthouse b + b

Arthouse b + b
Ranked #35 of 78 Canterbury B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Unique, comfortable and welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I visit Canterbury regularly to see friends and always try to stay at the Arthouse b + b when I do. The owners are really welcoming, the house is beautiful and decorated in a really unique way, the rooms are very comfortable, and a tasty, healthy breakfast is laid out for you to help yourself to in the morning.

The b + b feels very private, and is convenient for Canterbury town centre and for buses to Whitstable and the University. I always recommend this b + b to friends visiting Canterbury, be sure to book early as it is only small, and is so good!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have tried on a number of occasions to secure a room at Arthouse, but as I leave things to the last minute and by necessity have to book in busy school holiday periods, have not been successful, Until now. I was delighted to secure a room for myself and my 4 year old daughter - and further pleased that my daughter was actually welcome. I often find places go cold on your enquiry when they discover that a child is involved.

Arthouse offers much more than a B&B as one has privacy, independence, significantly more living space than I have encountered previously in B&B accommodation and gorgeous surroundings. I spent the whole time I was there smiling inwardly at crockery patterns of my mothers' that I had not encountered for years, or admiring stunning ceramic shapes. The entire property is beautifully, intelligently and creatively designed. The furniture was gorgeous too - lots of lovely shapes and lines to look at. A real visual treat.

I was enormously comfortable throughout our stay and once my daughter was in bed, was able to work at the dining table, supping tea from the most delightful teapot I have ever had the privilege to use.

The property is stunning - lots of lovely architectural features to enjoy.I know the area myself so knew the road it was on which is busy but to be honest this did not detract from the ambience created inside. It was an oasis.

I hope to be able to return to Arthouse when I next return to Canterbury.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed at art house b & b for a weekend recently & thoroughly enjoyed it.
The house is so different from anywhere I've stayed at, the clue is in the name.
The price is so reasonable & the owners are really friendly. I'll definitely come back to Canterbury again.

• Stayed September 2012
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had a large family celebration and booked Arthouse for the overspill. we were delighted with the relaxing and friendly atmosphere, the rooms were clean, the hosts and their lovely Dog were helpful and friendly, the beds were very comfortable with a lovely help yourself breakfast,so we could all lie in. the accommodation is enormous, certainly the most spacious id ever stayed in, and so refreshing to stay somewhere that is decorated to a high standard with art on the walls, off road parking too and less than 10 mins walk to the station and town center Relaxing and different is how I would sum up. we all enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dartington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We do a bit of B&B ourselves and this place had just the ambience that we try to create: informal, friendly, helpful and trusting. Loved the humour that drips off the walls! It's only a short walk into the centre of town. We had the garden room which was very hot at night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This peculiar B&B is housed in a former firehouse. Which probably explains the number of floors inside.

During our stay, we were the only visitors. For which I was thankful, as the inside of the B&B is more suited for use as an apartment than a B&B. Or maybe I should say that this B&B encourages visitors to share and mingle, like a hostel?

Anyway, this is how I remember the structure:
- First floor: hallway and stairs to upper floors
- Second floor: bathroom and stairs
- Third floor: large sitting room, dining room with a single table seating six, kitchen, stairs
- Fourth floor: second bathroom, two bedrooms, stairs

The interior is special. The owners took great care to give their building a certain atmosphere by means of paintings, sketches, sculptures, rugs, furniture, wallpaper and so on. It's called the Arthouse and it really is.

The bed we slept in was acceptable but not very good. The bathroom was clean. Overall, I found the building to be dusty. Perhaps more so in smell than touch.

The building is quite old, which may explain the dust. It's right next to a road, so when a lorry passes by the floors shake a bit and you really hear the roar of the engine. Make sure you take the room on the back of the building if you can't abide by noise.

The location of this B&B is good. The town centre of Canterbury is only a seven minute walk.

If you travel by car, you can park it on the premises. If you travel by train, make use to exit at Canterbury West. From there it's only a six minute walk to the B&B. From the B&B you can also take the train to London. It should be just over an hour to get there I believe. I didn't try. Going to London by car is probably a mistake :).

The owners were most kind and helpful. I'm not a very artistic person myself. If I were, I'd probably have rated the Arthouse 4 out of 5 just for atmosphere.

Room Tip: If you need calm and quiet to have a good night's sleep, make sure to ask for the room at the ba...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

This is a great B&B located a very short walk (comfortably less than 10 minutes) from the town centre. The building is an old firestation and the owners are artists - the combination produces a truly unique B&B. The interior is full of great pieces of modern art - I don't really know much about art so I won't try and describe the pieces but they produce a great feel to the place. The interior is very generous for a B&B and there are only two rooms so you feel like you have tonnes of space. Each bedroom has its own bathroom (although not en-suite - they are separate rooms), there is also a living area, a kitchen and a dining room - all of which are exclusively for guests.

We loved this place and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We had the 'back' room - which is located closer to it's bathroom. However, the front ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple