“Amost like coming home”
Review of Carena House B&B

Carena House B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canterbury
Carena House B&B
Ranked #18 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Essen, Germany
“Amost like coming home”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We arrived at the Carena House B&B quite late after an extremely exhausting journey down from the North. Debbie welcomed us so heartily that it felt like coming home.
We slept excellently and in the morning we were served a delicious breakfast and had a long and funny chat with Debbie who really is the good soul of this B&B. The room and the bathroom were clean and nicely furnished. Unfortunately we could only stay one night, but Canterbury is a must see. We recommend this B&B and will stay there again if we are in the area.
- the two German boys -

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at Carena House for three nights in July. The host, Debbie, was lovely - from my first enquiry until I left the B&B she was very friendly, welcoming, and hospitable. I stayed (on my own) in a double room for £55 per night, which was about half the price of the higher rated B&Bs in Canterbury. Given the location (about 15 mins stroll from B&B door to Cathedral door) and the price, Carena should be ranked #1 B&B in Canterbury as far as I'm concerned. Oh, and there is free parking on the road and surrounding side roads - I had no trouble finding a spot.

My room, number 3, was bright, clean, and wel presented. The bed was, I think, a small double, so I'm glad I didn't have to share it! The ensuite shower room was excellent - very good power shower with plenty of hot water morning and evening, although it was so hot that weekend that I actually had cold showers!

Tea, coffee, biscuits provided and replenished daily. Plus the bed was made and bins emptied every day. Wouldn't expect that sort of service from a B&B but was very welcome!

My only suggestion for improvement would be a fan. The room, at the top of the house, was VERY warm and there was very little breeze from the windows. Admittedly it was the hottest weekend of the year and the room faces the afternoon sun, so obviously not something that the hosts can control, but a plug in fan would have been very welcome.

The breakfast was lovely - I enjoyed fresh fruit, fruit juice, cooked breakfast and toast. All served with a smile from Debbie.

I would absolutely recommend Carena House and will look it up again should I return to Canterbury.

Room Tip: The house is on a main road so if you have trouble sleeping maybe ask for one of the rooms at the ba...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rose W
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My son and I stayed with Debbie and Barry three years ago when my son was starting at Kent Uni. She got us through major traumatic times and can't tell you enough how Debbie supported us. This week we went back to stay with them for son's graduation and felt like staying with your best friends.

The rooms are fantastic , lovely decor and cleanliness is top priority. Fluffy towels, clean and fresh linens on beds and so comfy, toiletries, tea and coffee facilities in rooms complete with fantastic biscuits....I was very tempted but didn't as on diet. Nothing is a problem for them as so hospitable and Debbie is such a lovely lady, so caring with a wicked sense of humour!

Breakfast choice is first class and delicious and served with a smile and terrific conversation, you feel so welcome. Debbie is an amazing host....kind, caring, funny, helpful and an extra bonus to staying in such a lovely place.

I ended an amazing time in my life and came full circle staying at Carena House. If you would like to visit Canterbury, stay at Carena House Guest House, it's home for home, and you still feel like you are having a treat for yourself.

Will I go back ...definitely ,because its like staying with your best friend. ( special little message for Debbie...your are a wonderful lady and will always be a friend to me.....thank you)

To those googling Tripadvisor....don't go anywhere else.....you need to experience the hospitality at Carena and you will have a blast !!!!!

Room Tip: They are all special so let Debbie know your requirements for your visit and she'll do the rest.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at Carena House 2 nights in May 2013 and loved it. The place is impeccably clean and the owners are exceptionally warm and welcoming. It is located on a busy road but we did not hear any traffic. Actually looking outside our bedroom window it felt like we were somewhere in the country. Americans may find bathrooms a bit small but they need to keep in mind the prices in UK. This is a good deal for the money.

The place is about 10 minute walk to all attractions. Please be sure to ask the owners where to eat. Debbie recommended two restaurants and they were both good and reasonably priced. She even told us the best place to view the cliffs of Dover and she certainly knew. Even though it was a rainy and foggy day, we were able to see the cliffs.

Highly recommended. We would stay there again.

Glenn and Kathy

Room Tip: Back of the house.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I absolutely loved staying at Carena House. The host, Debbie, is a wonderfully friendly woman and definitely made the stay more enjoyable. She made sure I knew how to get around, graciously did a load of laundry for me, and is a wonderful cook. I couldn't find accommodations for a night and she allowed me to stay their for an extra night.

Room was incredibly comfortable and felt just like home!

Carena House is about a ten minute walk to any points of interest in Canterbury.

I would happily stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Milan, Italy
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was there for 5 days and I'm very satisfied of my stay.
Rooms very clean and confortable
Typicall English breakfast with a wide variety of salt & sweet food provided in a short time ad with an excellent service.
The lady is very friendly (she is from Scotland....) and helpfull

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
England
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I found my stay at Carena House to be a very homely experience. I had a single top room for just 2 nights, and though very small, it has everything you need. Debbie is very friendly and will do everyting to make your stay there a pleasant one. She even lent me her brolly one wet evening. After a comment left by someone about not having any meat in the contenental breakfast option, she always supplies this just in case, and the breakfast selection was by far the most generous spread I have come across, with full cooked, and/or toast and jam, marmalade, honey etc, plus a wide cerial selection, and 2 different flavours of yoghurt. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Quiet single at the top overlooking the back is very small bu well equipped.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends