“Cosy and welcoming”

Carena House B&B
Carena House B&B
Ranked #21 of 74 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I found my stay at Carena House to be a very homely experience. I had a single top room for just 2 nights, and though very small, it has everything you need. Debbie is very friendly and will do everyting to make your stay there a pleasant one. She even lent me her brolly one wet evening. After a comment left by someone about not having any meat in the contenental breakfast option, she always supplies this just in case, and the breakfast selection was by far the most generous spread I have come across, with full cooked, and/or toast and jam, marmalade, honey etc, plus a wide cerial selection, and 2 different flavours of yoghurt. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Quiet single at the top overlooking the back is very small bu well equipped.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Carena House B&B

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I've just spent two weeks at Debbie's B&B, The Carena House B&B. I'm from London and was in Canterbury, learning to drive. So what I was looking for was some accommodation that was going to be a comfortable, quite haven for me to relax in when I wasn't either intensively learning or enjoying the sights of Canterbury. Really importantly I needed somewhere to stay that wasn't going to break the bank, as an 11 night stay anywhere would rack up the £££.

I can't recommend this place enough! I've stayed in a few B&Bs over my time, and what makes this a really good choice is:

- Great value - not over priced
- 10 minute walk to the Cathedral and city centre
- Quiet. The location is on Wincheap, which can be a busy road, but all I heard was the birds cheeping outside my window - devine.
- Clean and Comfortable.
- Each room is en-suite. Even the little single room I had.
- Debbie is just such a lovely woman. So friendly and welcoming! She also has real integrity about what she's doing. Every morning all rooms have their beds made and are given a once over. I've stayed in other 4 star B&Bs for a few days and not had the room or beds done once.
- Breakfast options are only healthy. No Frying and good, healthy cereals are available.
- Rooms are fully equipped, plenty of storage, flatscreen TV, Kettle, Cups, Biscuits, Tea and coffee selections, Hairdryer too - oh and really good WiFi connection.

Breakfast is from 8-9am, because my trip was more business than leisure orientated, if I were to be hyper critical, I'd maybe like the option of having breakfast from 7.30am - 9am - but at the same time I know exactly why it isn't and that Debbie runs a tight ship. Maybe if I had requested this, there might have been the option anyway. The fact that the rooms are cleaned every day and everything is just as it should be outweighs this.

I'll be returning to Canterbury as I've fallen in love with the city and without a single moment's hesitation, I'll be returning to the Carena B&B to see Debbie for our morning chats and a great place to stay.

Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Spangolo
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had a lovely 2 night stay here. The room was spacious, warm, modern and very clean and comfortable. There were plenty of tea and coffee and biscuits in the room. The en-suite was fine and the shower was very good, although the basin was slightly small.
The breakfast was just how we like it, plenty of choice and a lovely full English (but healthy) breakfast.
It was a short walk into the town centre, and despite being on a busy road, you could hardly hear the traffic noise in the room.
Debbie was very friendly and welcoming and it felt like home from home.
We would certainly recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We arrived on the rainiest day I have ever experienced. Soaked with one day's rain, we knocked on the door and immediately were welcomed by the owner. We took a small double room for 60 Pounds incl. breakfast. We were asked if we wanted English Breakfast, which my partner took. Since I am particularly picky when it comes to eating, I was glad to hear she would offer continental breakfast as well. The owner recommended a very nice pub to eat dinner, but it took us a while to find it in the pouring rain. Nevertheless, she was absolutely right - the food was amazing.
The next morning we were hungry for breakfast and my partner got a big English Breakfast. Being never in England before, I had no idea what a normal breakfast would mean: Toast, some pastry, some jam, yogurt, fruits, cereal and Milk. She couldn't have known and I was too uncomfortable to tell: I cannot eat dairy products and I do not like sweet stuff. I was putting some fruits on my plate and got to eat a bit from the English Breakfast.
So breakfast was a little bit disappointing for me - but that was no ones fault. I am just spoiled by always having a large choice of full grain bread, salami or mortadella etc. on my morning menu.

Nevertheless, I can absolutely recommend Carena House. The owner is such a nice person and overall it was a very comfortable stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rainkiss
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. The room was of a good standard although the shower wasn't up to much. We were at the top of the stairs so water pressure wasn't good. My wife has very long hair and needs a good strong shower to be able to wash it properly. Also this room has one of those macerators for a toilet which was quite noisy.
We managed to park across from the b&b, across a very busy road. The lady who runs the guesthouse is very nice and chatty which was lovely. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Bob123Sing
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Marvellous hosts, beautiful B&B! Comfortable, spotless, homely atmosphere! Room was spot on - slept like babies! Breakfast outstanding - service perfect! Will most definitely return. Thank you for making it a memorable return to Canterbury!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank 4956bvb09
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My friend and I tired to find to place to escape from London and we found this lovely bed and breakfast. The owner is very helpful and friendly. The room was clean..we have the smallest room in the house but it was bigger than I expected..clean, cosy and spotless. The breakfast was amazing and millions of choice for the buffet table. We would definitely going back if we had time. Thanks for making our 3 nights has been amazing!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends