“Amazing food!!”

Ranked #48 of 382 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Childhood friends Enzo Espedito welcome you to a little taste of Napoli with Osteria Posillipo Pizzaria ��� quite likely one of Canterbury���s friendliest restaurants. Decorated in relaxing woods, this light, airy space has the added bonus of being located near the Marlowe Theatre. An in-house wood-fired stone oven is visible from the open-plan kitchen on the ground floor, allowing hungry diners watch their pizzas bubble away the traditional way. Not in the mood for pizza? Traditional Italian favourites are the name of the game here, including fresh, homemade pasta like spaghetti a vongole.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

11 friends and I visited here for my birthday and I can honestly say that nobody was disappointed. From the calamari starter to my pizza the whole thing was perfect. An authentic Italian restaurant which i would return to over and over again. The only thing I would say as a negative was that the service was a bit slow - but as we were a large group i can understand this.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are visiting Canterbury, you will quickly discover that it is full of restaurants, from the usual chains to independants, but if you love good food that is cooked with loving care, do seek out Posillipo. It is set away from the main sights and High Street opposite the cathedral walls at the rear of the cathedral, but within a three minute walk of the Buttermarket and the front entrance to the cathedral.

Family owned an extensive A La Carte menu featuring the very best of food dishes from Napoli, where the owners are from, but also now at lunch times, an amaxing two courses for £9.95. This offers a choice of three starters, and four main courses, which during our visit included chicken and swordfish dishes or a choice of anything from their extensive Pizza menu Posillipo pizzas are the best outside of Napoli!).

If you are a wine lover, the posillipo wine list provides choices of exclusively Italian wines, which are unavailable elsewhere in England and are really worth discovering.

There really is no where else in Canterbury to go for lunch at this level of quality or a this kind of value.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went to this restaurant based on previous reviews i had read. I checked the menu out before hand and even that didn't seem appealing. The restaurant is nice and has nice décor and I found the staff to be pleasant but the food is really awful.

For starters we ordered home made bread which was so tough and leathery i almost broke my teeth trying to tear it. It didn't seem fresh to me. We also had a seafood salad which was reassuringly nice.
I ordered a pasta bake for my main and it was just some pasta in a tomato sauce was really very boring. My partner had a pizza which he found plain and lacking in toppings although he did like the cheese base.

Its quite overpriced for what it is, you can cook better at home. Needless to say i didn't stick around for dessert.

6  Thank eliza2011
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My partner and I had a friend-couple coming to stay for the night so went here for a meal. This is the first time I've been to Posillipo, and found the evening very pleasant.

The staff were very welcoming - opening the door for you as you arrive and leave, very chatty and helpful with what was on the menu. We shared a couple of garlic-pizza-breads to start, and they were delicious - the anchovy one particularly so, and though the balsamic one could've done with a little more balsamic, bottles of olive oil and balsamic seemed to be present on all the tables anyway.

The mains were all very good, the gnocchi in a bolognese sauce though simple was really tasty, my only problem was that wasn't enough of it.

The espresso brulee was exquisite, the only thing better than a creme brulee in my opinion, and again the only problem was that I couldn't get a bigger portion!!

Would definitely go back again, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice atmosphere and friendly staff.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We were served tasty italien food by friendly and helpful staff. The waitress was careful to warn my wife that her chosen dish was rather salty and returned to check that it was OK. (It was!) We visted Posillipo on quiet weekday evening with only a few guests, but the restaurant was, nevertheless, warm and cosy. The food was classic Italien. I would not have expected better in an Italian restaurant in the same price bracket. The antipasto was delicious and great value for money. I would definiely return.