“worth a visit”

The Restaurant at Sopwell House
Ranked #65 of 356 Restaurants in St. Albans
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant at Sopwell House is located in a stunning Georgian country house in St Albans. With its high ceilings and classic, sleek decor and AA Rosette award-winning status, The Restaurant serves modern British and European cuisine. Opening Hours: Lunch: 12:30pm to 3:00pm on Sunday, Wednesday & Friday. Dinner: 7:00pm to 9.30Pm on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Maybe you wouldn't think about going to a Spa Hotel for a meal, but Sopwell House I would recommend as different. A group of us had a set meal £23 my choice was Caesar salad, Lasgne and baked cheescake, a simple sounding meal but beautifully presented and great taste. Coffee in the lounge was quite special as it felt comfortable and a nice way to finish our evening. Sopwell house is worth a visit (and easy parking too)

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I booked afternoon tea for 2. The staff were helpful in pointing out where to go. When we got to the terrace bar it smelt horrible. My partner described it like being at a butchers. The atmosphere was very casual and relaxed in a nice glass room. There was a large tv if you were interested in the football. A waitress asked us what we wanted to drink but wasn't given a menu. It took at least 15mins to get a pot of tea, which was in very standard average teapots. I saw a few people with steel pots which looked a lot nicer. we had to wait for our afternoon tea to arrive. The selection of sandwiches were good and fresh baked scones. The cakes and pastries were delicious but very filling. No one once came over to see if everything was ok and if we needed top ups for our tea. We could of done with another pot of jam. We didn't manage to eat all of our sandwiches and cakes and was offered a box to take them home. Would I come back? possibly... But not convinced. We recently visited the grove in Watford for afternoon tea and the level of service is on another level. It's slightly more expensive but it's worth it for the service, atmosphere, food and selection of teas and coffees.

1  Thank ms_lj86
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Food was excellent. the service and wine was the best.We had a wonderful stay and a great dining experience.

Alessandro C, General Manager at The Restaurant at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted you had a wonderful experience.

Our Executive Chef is particularly pleased you enjoyed the food.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and please do keep an eye on our website for all the news on our Winter offers and festivities.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you like taking afternoon tea in beautiful surroundings you'll be happy here....provided you don't mind cakes that look like they've come out of a packet and battenberg the colour of something that can't possibly be edible (see photo)....and tastes like fish. We've been coming here several years but this will be the very last time. Standards have declined - we hung on but this was the last straw. I'll just highlight one or two things from my catalogue of complaints:- I ordered pate as I'd seen it on someone elses plate and it looked very good. The wrong dish arrived and I was then given a substandard version of what I'd seen earlier. I tried to hand it back three times but the waiter just did not understand how to deal with a customer complaint - he was very sweet and nervous and said he'd only been there three days - but he was the most senior person there!!!! Sopwell House - you charge top end prices for bottom end quality. The afternoon tea served up to my friends was an embarrassment. The service was dreadful, even though the poor man tried - why would you employ someone clearly out of their depth in front of house? Abysmal.

1  Thank fisher12070

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review and accompanying photograph which is certainly not typical of the exceptionally high standards of our very popular Afternoon Tea offering here at Sopwell House.

I have therefore taken the opportunity to upload some very recent photographs of our Afternoon Tea today which will appear shortly. We are very proud in particular of our own version of the Battenberg Cake (no fish added!) which is always a firm favourite due to the hotel’s links with Lord Mountbatten.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience on this occasion and following your comments I have spent some time with the new staff member who served you and have arranged additional training on customer service.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write and as a regular here at the hotel, I do hope you will return in the very near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Family gathering for an 80th birthday. The staff (particually Chantelle)could not do enough to make it the perfect day . Service excellent, venue had perfect atmosphere and ambience,food scrumptious.

1  Thank Mefunmum

Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your lovely review of Sopwell House and I am glad Chantelle stood out as providing excellent service for such a special occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back for the 81st birthday celebrations if not before!

Warm regards