“First class service”

Ranked #7 of 345 Restaurants in St. Albans
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in leafy St Albans, just off the High Street and next to the Cathedral and Abbey Church, Lussmanns Fish and Grill is a chic brasserie-style restaurant that has won over the hearts of the local gourmet set and established itself as the locals' favourite fish and grill restaurant. Spread out over three floors, Lussmanns restaurant combines polished oak, steel-and-leather seating and a sculptural glass ceiling to create a stylish dining room flooded with natural light. Lussmanns champions artisan food producers and is passionate about sourcing their produce ethically from independent and sustainable farms. Situated within walking distance of Verulamiam Park with its Roman remains and St Albans' town centre, this is an ideal spot for business meetings, dates and family get-togethers.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our first time at Lussmanns and we would definitely try it again. We were initially seated right next to the kitchen which was so noisy with lots of crashing plates so asked to move upstairs. I agree that the atmosphere upstairs is very different to downstairs, much quieter and doesn't have the same buzzy feel, but that suited us fine. The food was great, my ravioli starter was particularly tasty. And there is a really good selection of vegetarian dishes. The service was impeccable. Our waiter was really attentive and I was very impressed. The night we were there, there were lots of large groups, which was fine but it was very loud due to the acoustics of the restaurant. i would definitely like to try it again but would ask for a specific table at the point of booking and would go with a group of people rather than dinner for two as I think it is more suited to this type of dining.

4  Thank Hertssnugasabug
Andrei L, Owner at Lussmanns - St Albans, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for your positive feedback – glad to hear that you found the quality of our food and service matched expectation. We always try to offer diners a choice of seating on arrival because, as you describe, the atmosphere in different areas of the restaurant can vary from one evening to another, depending on how busy we are. Hope to see you again soon. Best wishes, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 19 Feb 13.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,128)

Reviewed February 14, 2013

No qualms in recommending this place for its food and service. Have eaten in their restaurant in Hertford and the standard is equally high. Just have one issue. When I have eaten in the restaurant on the ground floor, the place has a buzz about it. It is vibrant and warm and a nice place to eat. Upstairs on the 1st floor is almost the exact opposite. I am not an interior designer. I have no recommendations as to how to improve the 1st floor dining area. All I can say is that, having eaten on the first floor a couple of times, I avoid it and unless they can accommodate me on the ground floor, I go elsewhere.

Andrei L, Owner at Lussmanns - St Albans, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Lovely that we impressed. The upstairs is naturally different from the main floor and, as you'll appreciate, there are those who prefer a more intimate and less bistro like atmosphere where the feel is more dining room than uptown brassiere. We will of course do our very best to accommodate all requests but cannot guarantee 100% delivery as this is nigh on impossible in a value-driven restaurant. You might not be aware, but the upstairs has since undergone a refurbishment including brand new toilets. Thanks for your feedback and regards, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 15 Feb 13.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Extremely good food and service fantastic. Only let down was it was supposed to be a romantic meal for my wife and I but we were sat right in front of the door and got a FREEZING cold blast of wind every time the door opened.

Sorry to hear that a draft from the door took the edge off what was otherwise a good experience. Hope that this hasn’t deterred you from coming again, please do ask to be seated away from the door on your next visit and we will make every effort to accommodate you. Best wishes, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 15 Feb 13.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our first visit but it will not be our last.
The food and service were excellent.
The bream baked in a bag was well cooked and very tasty.
There is a very good wine selection and a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

3  Thank rayaustin

Many thanks for your feedback on your first visit. Glad that the atmosphere, food, service and value were all on the mark. We are fortunate to enjoy great support from diners in St Albans and we hope that you’ll become a regular with us. Thanks again and regards, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 15 Feb 13.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We went with friends on a Saturday night and had a very pleasant evening. It was buzzing, can't say I saw a free table and the open-plan arrangement, though attractive, did mean it was a little noisy; take note if that bothers you. I just thought it added to the atmosphere.
Despite the busyness of the place the service was friendly and efficient; the staff even managed to all come out to sing 'Happy Birthday' to the table next to ours...
The menu isn't extensive but was well-presented and accurately cooked on the whole with some good quality, locally sourced ingredients. I had a lovely plate of wild boar chorizo while my friends had some really nice deep-fried, devilled sprats; I especially liked the accompaniments that seemed to be home-made, or at least superior quality. Ditto with my Bouillabaise which I thoroughly enjoyed, as did my wife with her crab linguine. Two of my friends weren't so keen on their pollack, which looked fab actually, while my other friend thought his flash fried feather steak (classic steak frites) a bit tough.....personally I think this cut is best in braised dishes though.
Wine was reasonable....not especially expensive (about £18 each for a sauvignon and a merlot) but nothing to get excited about. Good value and friendly, I'd certainly go again.

1  Thank slicvic13

Thank you for taking the time to review Lussmanns. Good to know that you and your friends enjoyed your meal with us. The atmosphere is certainly more lively on Friday and Saturday nights than earlier in the week but, as you say, this adds to many people’s enjoyment. Happy to hear that our food and wine hit the spot, hope that we can look after you again soon. Best wishes, Andrei Lussmann (andrei@lussmanns.com) 15 Feb 13.