“McDonalds with noodles”

Wagamama
Ranked #108 of 351 Restaurants in St. Albans
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Inspired by fast-paced japanese ramen bars, wagamama offers a range of fresh, healthy dishes including ramen, donburi, teppanyaki, curries, salads and juices. wagamama encourages guests to share in their enthusiasm, slurp on noodles, relax in good company and leave feeling happy, nourished and refreshed.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

You know exactly what you are going to get here and that is both comforting and reassuring if a little predicable.. Its a fun place with great service in a simple setting. My one wish is that all the food could come at the same time so everyone eats together in your party

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The food is good value and service is generally quick. I'm not a big fan of the layout and don't always want to sit with other people when i go out for dinner so usually go to Wagamama's for lunch. Good for a big group of you though cos you can usually get everyone on a table! Wish they delivered

Reviewed September 13, 2013

For a family that spans three generations and includes Asians, a vegetarian and a crusty old toad like me, this unpretentious eating house fits the bill nicely. Apart from the food, which is always good, the thing I like best is the informal, buzzing atmosphere which reminds me of a school refectory (in a nice way), although it can get quite noisy at times.

Service is always excellent and cheerful although it can be quite slow.

Wagamama Sr Albans is one of our favourite take-away options too.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is my second review,the first was not good. But now its very good the services was first class the food just great.Will be back soon.

3  Thank Trevor F
Reviewed August 24, 2013

More years ago than I care to admit, I used to live in central London whilst attending university.

My college was very cosmopolitan, with a high proportion of Hong Kong, Singaporean and Malaysian Chinese. With Soho on my doorstep I became acquainted, at one point, with virtually all the Chinese restaurants that area had to offer; and almost invariably was accompanied by an expert guide, ie a native Chinese. Ditto to Japanese restaurants in London with Japanese students, although at a lesser frequency due to the cost of the food and my impecunious status as an undergrad student.

As a result of the learning experience I became pretty adept at both identifying Chinese and Japanese food in their various forms, knowing what I liked and knowing what did and didn’t go to making a good quality Chinese and Japanese meal.

The popularity of Wagamama has always, and continues to, puzzle me. It is, ostensibly, based on a Japanese style ramen bar, but I suspect that few Japanese would be seen dead in there.

I’ve never managed to “get” this place; couldn’t figure out why the British would go for such a bland and unenticing pastiche of Japanese fast food.

Due, I can only assume, to a temporary lapse of sanity I visited again tonight.
Nothing’s changed. The place was still busy as hell; bustling with young ‘uns either finding a place on a bench, or leaving after their meals. And alive with chatter, people eating, and another Wagamama franchise coining it in.

I don’t object to their success; simply can’t understand it. Their quality of food reminds me of my incipient cooking attempts as a 19 year old student in a hall of residence occupied mainly by Chinese who made it clear what they thought of my cooking. The food in Wagamama is crafted with as much artlessness, and is bland enough to extinguish any appetite I had when entering.

I really must stop going there.

1  Thank RadlettGastronomer