“Good choice for St Albans” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 St. Albans B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good choice for St Albans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed here for my wife's birthday prior to visiting Harry Potter World, and to be honest we didn't spend much time in the hotel as there was so much to see and do in St Albans, a lovely town, with a beautiful park and a famous Abbey that we could see from the window of our room. The hotel is on one of the main roads right in the centre, and there was some traffic noise outside but nothing major. There is a big car park through the arch at the rear of the hotel which was very welcome.
After booking I found out the hotel had been the subject of "The Hotel Inspector" TV program and although I haven't seen that episode on entering the room I am willing to bet that the lime green runners details in the room were the idea of Alexi Polizi.
Personally we would have preferred more of a traditional look in a genuine Tudor building but what do I know?! However whoever installed the en-suite deserves a medal. I've never used a better shower (like something I would expect to see in Dubai) or seen a cannier bit of design in a small space. The room itself was spotless and this being a real Tudor building we were fascinated by the uphill walk, (I'm not kidding), from one side of the room to the other.
We ate out at Jamie's Italian that night which is but a short walk away (celebrity chef restaurants aren't common in the frozen North) and then spent most of the rest of the evening at the place where CAMRA held their first meeting, The Farriers Arms, so it wasn't until the next day we got to use the dining room for a grand breakfast. What a lovely dining room it is, and we had a great breakfast we enjoyed too.
Staff were great throughout, and falling over themselves to help at all times, but what a great place St. Albans is, and in this hotel you are right in the centre of it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

OK, last time we went to St Albans we stayed down the hill at The Comfort....and it was not....comfortable that is.

So this time we thought we would spend a night at the older place next door, and we are glad we did. £103 for B & B for one double for a night is not cheap....but this was really nice.

We were "upgraded" free of charge to a superior room (Room 8) which faced the front and sure we could hear SOME traffic noise, but it was by no means a problem. The room was massive with a (say) 42" TV set, sofa, table, tea/coffee and a full BATH room en-suite. The bed was massive and the one radiator by the bathroom kept us as warm as toast. The building is very old and the floors are not level, which kinda adds to the fun!!

The only thing I was going to mark the room down on was the bedside lights not being bright enough, then I discovered the lampshades just slide up...and thus off!!!

We spent several hours in the bar where there were several real ales and where it was not busy but "just nice" and the staff could not do enough for us.

We had a very nice freshly cooked breakfast, but did not dine in the restaurant.

Will we go back? You bet!!!

Room Tip: Room 8 was massive, but the only one we saw.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank watfordpip
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Great Christmas event , meal excellent in well presented surroundings, clean, very tidy warm and welcoming in dining room, lots of history, Good attentive staff and well managed. Rooms comfortable great character , even with the ghost !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed overnight on 1st November. The manager was the perfect host - very knowledgeable about the wine and the food. Dinner was exceptional. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel, and Tudors restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank IanandLesleyD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

This is an absolutely fantastic hotel, oozing character, but above all the service is absolutely second to none! I stayed here twice a week for around 6 months while on business and absolutely loved it! The hotel is well kept, modern in the right places, but maintains a real 'Old England' charm that just can't be replicated or designed in. Rooms are very comfortable, and I think I just about tried all of them! The bar is relaxed and friendly, and the restaurant was among the best for food and service in a very overcrowded St Albans restaurant scene.

One of things that really made the hotel experience was genuine enthusiasm of the staff. They all cared about me as a person, not just a customer, and they really cared about the hotel experience, going to great lengths to make sure that everything about my stay was just as I needed it. From a freshly made early breakfast when I had an early start to keeping the bar open late when I was entertaining clients, the staff, lead expertly by Adam, were just fantastic. (Special mention to Kate, Ovid and Margaret who were absolute stars, and Norm the chef who does a killer steak!).

Location wise, the hotel was great for me working in Hemel Hempstead, and perfect for London too as the train station is a short walk away to a 20 minute train into St Pancras. I actually brought the family and a friend down for the Bank Holiday weekend and found it perfect to get to the Notting Hill Carnival for one day, then explored the lovely St Albans on foot the next day. Of course we were looked after extremely well, including a spot of ghost hunting after breakfast!

The rooms were always kept to a very high standard, whether the older rooms or newer, refurbished ones they always felt clean, we'll prepared and full of character. Honestly, the bridal suite, (as seen on Hotel Inspector!), was my favourite (although I was staying alone), and the hotel was always happy to accommodate whenever they could.

I'm sure being featured on the Hotel Inspector didn't do them any harm and brought a few curious people in, but really the hotel was always popular. On occasion when I was booking late and couldn't get a room I did try a few of the other hotels in St Albans(usually either Comfort or Sopwell House) but was always glad to be back. If you saw the Hotel Inspector you might be wondering if the owners, Ross and Jayne, are as bonkers as they appeared on the show... well, just a bit, and that's why I can't wait to be back :-)

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Sadly they managed to mess up on the room booking-although i booked a month ahead and checked twice, our superior room was downgraded upon arrival ,and had a bath not the shower i requested. Apparently that was all they had left.
The room was tiny, never mind swing a cat, couldn't even fit the chair alongside the bed to watch the tv. Very disappointing.
look out they take the payment in full before you see the room and do not verify your booking so easily for them to make changes.
if your only leaping in and out of bed it was acceptable
breakfast and food good.
will book at the comfort hotel next time

Room Tip: choose another hotel
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank paris g
sequoiastalbans, Owner at The White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
We are all a bit puzzled by this review.
Firstly, we would never downgrade a superior room booking and secondly, all the rooms in the hotel are ensuite.
All have a shower and some have a bath as well.
Swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one evening last month and we were both very impressed on how old and interesting the place is. If you want a modern fashionable place to stay then this is probably not for you, but if your after a wonderful slice of history and character then this is a fab choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple