“Premier with extras”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in St. Albans
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Premier with extras”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Stayed for two nights at the end of December. Typical modern Premier Inn, clean, spacious, comfortable room with clean bathroom. Although my room was near to the motorway the double glazing was effective and to my surprise the sound insulation between mine and the next room was also effective with only muffled voices heard. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The food in the adjacent Beefeater was average/good, but staff were very efficient and the building has preserved many of the original mill drive mechanism. The mill pond has ducks which was very popular with young children. The hotel is on the route of a local circular walk - follow markers for "Ver Valley Walk 8 - 3.7 miles about 2 hours" as this is a river and woodland walk you will need boots. So in summary, although this hotel is next to the motorway, this is balanced by the adjacent mill having lots of character and there being a short woodland walk from the doorstep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marmite-13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Alfreton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

What a lovely setting for a Premier Inn. Next to an old mill now used as the restaurant and a lovely stream (with ducks) that runs beside the hotel and through the mill. Although between the M25 and M1 there was little noise when in the room for the night or eating at the next door Beefeater. Clean and comfortable rooms and friendly service. Friendly staff. Only negative was in room heating that was too hot and couldn't be adjusted effecting our sleep. Otherwise room was very high quality.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Christopher P
UK
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Starting with the only negative, for which I recieved a refund for our stay: the truckle bed.
Really blinking uncomfortable. We are a family of four - my 6 year old who was on the truckle bed woke us up at 2am complaining so I swapped with him - and didn't get much sleep after that. I have complained about these before and have previously suggested at least a foam topper to make these even vaguely comfortable but whilst it may have happened in the venues I complained about, it hasn't happened here. So as I did certainly not get a good nights sleep, I complained (and felt bad about it, as the rest of the stay was excellent) and was offered a refund.

I can't fault it really. Bargain price. No motorway noise in spite of the ridiculously close proximity of the M25. We were in room 3, and when the kids opened the curtains in the morning there was a horse opposite having his breakfast - they were so chuffed! The rooms are standard premier inn. Comfortable. Hot water. Clean. Tea and coffee. Enough luggage space.

I tend to try and find Premier Inns which are more child friendly - if no soft play, then a playground at least. The playground here is great. Nice size for my 4 and 6 year olds which a large climbing frame and a couple of small ones. The loved the ducks too. Very picturesque. (as an asides - if you really need to run the children - there is a Gambado 10 minutes up the motorway - its hellish for adults and stupidly expensive - £30 for a family of 4 including registration fee - but the kids loved it and exhausted themselves)

The staff were lovely without exception and the service good. The beefeater was located in an old mill which is novel and the kids like that too. The food was standard pub fare - kids menu is decent value - and service was quite quick (although it was a Sunday night and not busy at all) The breakfast was fabulous as always at premier inn. Hot food cooked to order. No eyelid batted when my eldest saw what my youngest had and decided he wanted that too. Lots of choice.
You also get half an hour of free wifi (and I used 3G after that - no problem with reception)
Overall I totally recommend it and would pick this location again if staying in that area (15 minutes from the Warner Bros Studios as we were doing the Harry Potter tour)

Room Tip: We had room 3 which was not on the motorway side and very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Our first stay here
It was very good. We were impressed by the level of service by both the reception staff and the restaurant staff at breakfast. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Comfortable bed, clean room and help with the heating. Will be back soon.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

The service at the hotel was excellent.
It has a great location and great facilities. The playground and the ducks were a big hit for my boys.
We had breakfast and evening meal and service again was brilliant.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Kingston-upon-hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I was looking forward to my stay, as I'd read that the hotel had a lake with ducks and historic mill, which is different to the usual premier inn experience. I was disappointed on arrival by the appearance of the room, it was very tired and the room had an odd smell, the heating and the towel rail didn't work. The carpet not very clean at all.

The restaurant had no record if our evening meal booking, since I had replied to the text from Premier Inn asking we if wanted a booking, this was poor service. The meal was over priced and not great quality. I have stayed in many premier inns and felt this hotel needed freshing up and a bit of attention.

When I told the receptionist that our towel rail hearer didn't work, she said 'ah yes we know, we haven't got the budget yet to repair it'. What!!!!!! That sums up my experience!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was a great Premier Inn.
The staff were really helpful and friendly, the room very well kept and clean.
There was a restaurant nearby which looked great, but was so popular we couldn't get in! If you want a meal at the Beefeater definately book in.
The bed's were very comfortable, the rooms very clean.
It was a little too warm in the room, but otherwise excellent.

Room Tip: We booked online when the prices were lower and this gave us an excellent price.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
#8 of 10 in St. Albans
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St. Albans

Been to Premier Inn St. Albans/Bricket Wood Hotel? Share your experiences!