“Small but perfectly formed”
Review of Singhli - CLOSED

Singhli
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At 'Singhli', we aim to provide authentic, fresh and healthy Indian Street food. Small menu that delivers Homey, Rustic curry dishes. As Reviewers have commented,'Singhli' is not your typical 'Curry House'.
Reviewed May 25, 2013

A genuinely different Indian experience in St Albans; a far more streamlined menu, simple decor that eschews both the flock of the past and the blue lit brushed metal minimalism of more recent times and little over 25-30 covers. Despite it's size it was buzzy when we went on a Friday night and avoided my pet peev of tables too close together where you just can't help but feel that everyone is listening to everyone else's conversation, albeit reluctantly. Which was my concern having walked past a few times and seen how compact a little place it is.

The food is noticably fresh and light, using obviously superior ingredients, and very tasty. We had the fish starter (very good quality fish), the crispy chicken (real "uneven" chunks of chicken) and the lamb samosas (these were the star, really good). The second course was chicken curry, basmati rice and a paratha, all excellent.

The menu structure is a little disorienting for those used to the apps / mains / sides structure of more traditional Indian restaurants. I had hoped it would all be delivered together but was left eating the curry on my own while my poor wife picked at the paratha, the "street food" element having come and gone. Next time we would either stick to the street food element and have more dishes or I would emphasise more clearly that we wanted it all at once.

But that aside, Singhli is a big recommend.

1  Thank Marc W
There are newer reviews for Singhli

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

We had diner at Singhli while we were staying one night in St Albans. I love India, love its food but not the "Indian fast food restaurants" we have in the UK! Well Singhli brought me back in Mumbai, Delhi, Jaipur, Kolkata and many more places! Forget about your classic chicken balti, onions baji, Bombay aloo... (Which I never had in India!) but welcome to the fantastic and REAL Indian food. It is delicious, succulent and to that day, I am still thinking of it. The owner is such a nice host who he will take the time to explain about his cuisine! Thank you for this delicious diner and I wish Singhli all the best!

1  Thank sophie p
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Found it through internet as we wanted a change from our regular curry. It is a small restaurant with simple interior. We were cared for by the owner who was very helpful. Service was quick and staff friendly. Food was very different to regular curry houses. Menu is small but great choices within in it. Small tapas type dishes give you an opportunity to try more. It is prepared within sight and everything tastes wonderful not mouth burning just absolutely full of spicy flavours. Will be returning.

1  Thank CeciliaS64
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We visited restaurant last night with friends who had visited before. Had a great selection of starters to share which were all delicious. Then three main courses, the chicken biryani was excellent and easily enough for two. It was a really nice experience unlike the usual Indian restaurant. We will be returning very soon.

1  Thank Susan12254
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This restaurant is a must if you love food that excites every taste bud! We were greeted by the owner who was very welcoming & helpful. We ordered 3 tapas starters & a filled roti, which is great, as it means you can try more of the wonderful food, all freshly prepared. & there are no additives. You can really taste the difference of all the spices. The main meal had a lot to live up to. We were not disappointed. This lovely little restaurant should be on your list of places to try. We will be back again. Just sad it's so far away!

2  Thank gah1963