“Really, Really Excellent”
Review of Singhli - CLOSED

Singhli
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At 'Singhli', we aim to provide authentic, fresh and healthy Indian Street food. Small menu that delivers Homey, Rustic curry dishes. As Reviewers have commented,'Singhli' is not your typical 'Curry House'.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Very cold outside, Decided to drive to a restaurant to avoid walking and freezing. Note you cannot park in Holywell Hill, best to use the Car Par in Keyfield Terrace, a short walk.

Googled "best Indian in St. Albans" and saw Tripadvisor reviews of Singhi. So pleased we went.

This is not your typical neighbourhood Indian restaurant, more aligned to eating a mixture of Tapas style dishes than the Poppadom, Chicken Jalfrezi route (although it does offer "main" style dishes. We had four starters - Amritsari Fish, Crispy Chicken, Lamb Samosa and Aloo Tikki Chat., all excellent. We also had main dishes of Lamb Curry and Egg curry with Basmati rice and Roti. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank NW6_Traveller
There are newer reviews for Singhli

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This place opened up close to where I live and I have been meaning to go for a while. I'm pleased I finally did. The place is small but relaxed and comfortable. The menu is not huge but a relatively small selection which they have clearly focused on delivering well. There were a few things I have never tried before and all the food was really delicious. There is also a reasonable selection of vegetarian dishes which was perfect for my partner. The owner and staff are exceptionally pleasant and helpful...particularly if you have no idea how to go about eating something! The cost is probsbly comparable to the other Indian restaurants in the town but none I'm aware of offer the variety and quality of what we had here. Altogether a very pleasant experience and will definitely be going back.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I went here with my wife for dinner on a Saturday night. The owners/front of house are really welcoming and really personable. The food was outstanding, tasted authentic and fresh/healthy. I will definitely be going back. My favourite dish was the Kachori and the fish starter, both amazing! highly recommended.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The owner of this restaurant is a very friendly person who seems surprised at his success. He goes out of his way to be helpful. I thought the chilli paneer was delicious - quite spicy, but the dhai bhalla chaat was a bit bland. I was told by my companions that the amritsari fish and the lamb samosas were very good. It amused us that the curries - lamb, chicken, egg, etc, all seemed to be made with the same curry sauce. However, the sauce was tasty. The portions were small but I like them like that. Unfortunately, the curries were served and then we were left sitting without rice for quite a while and I had to remind our waiter that we hadn't been served any. He was very apologetic and fortunately when the rice turned up the curries were still hot enough to eat. The aloo gobi and aubergine side dishes were nice but small. The real disappointment for me was the desserts - I shared both the gulab jamun and the gajjar halwa, but I've had much better in other Indian restaurants. The gulab jamun were dense when they are usually light and the gajjar halwa is normally richer tasting. I wouldn't order them again. The wine selection is very small but I enjoyed the rose Pinot Grigio. I would recommend going at least once because it makes an interesting change from a standard Indian restaurant.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a lovely little Indian Street Kitchen with simple decor but I think suited the style of food. The menu is simple, and may be a little overpriced for some, but I thought it was definitely worth the money. Don't be put off by the fact most of the street food dishes are fried, this is definitely not a curry house where everything comes out dripping in fat or with a layer of ghee over your sauce. Everything tastes super fresh and the staff are super friendly.
The Amritsari fish was flavoursome and super soft. The pani puri was a real experience (ask the waiter to explain how it is to be eaten), but defnitely my highlight. The chilli paneer wasn't quite to my taste but my Mum loved it. The Okra was delicious but my Mum thought it had too many onions in it. The lamb curry was small, but truly delicious and very rich. Other reviewers have complained that the portions of the main curry dishes are too small, but personally I don't want my curry padded out with big chunks of onion and green pepper. The roti was lovely and soft. The mango lassi, simply to die for.
If you want good, honest, traditional Indian food, then this is where to go. If chicken tikka masala is your go-to dish, then don't bother.

1  Thank LittleSurprise