“They managed to please my picky dad, phew”
Review of Tudors Restaurant

Tudors Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Tudors Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 332 Restaurants in St. Albans
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Tudors is a delightful oak panelled restaurant within the historic White Hart Hotel which was built in 1470. We have a very pleasant outside terrace area for summer dining and in the winter we always have a real fire burning in our grand fireplace within the restaurant.
Essex, United Kingdom
“They managed to please my picky dad, phew”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having never taken my dad out in the UK and wanting to find somewhere in St Albans, where I had NEVER visited before (more's the pity, what a fab place), I looked online, was presented with a huge array of restaurants and chose Tudors on the basis that dad wanted some ale and good British food. He was pleased with his ale and the bar staff were super friendly. We asked for a table and were whipped round the back to the beautiful candlelit wood-panelled room, thankfully past the baffingly naff suit of armour and tacky Olde Worlde chairs (strange as the rest of the building was rather lovely), by the UK's most friendly and helpful waiter. Yes it was possibly more romantic than I intended for a meal with my dad, it wasn't very full (but that didn't mean our food was brought out too quickly or that it lacked atmosphere) and there was an odd choice of Tudor style then, when I commented possibly louder than I thought, Latin type music but I really can't give this restaurant less than 5/5. This is because the lamb rump with creamed spinach and wild mushrooms was divine, they cooked it exactly how we like it (rare to the point of bleating - we were told Chef approved. Which was nice), and the cappucino creme brulee was to die for. The waiter served us a carafe of wine though this was not technically on the menu and once I'd drank enough Shiraz and Cointreau to the point of being somewhat squiffy he didn't even mind me speaking rubbish to him about his expresso cups and even went and brought me one out to keep before he called our cab for us (although dad did suggest that the poor man appeared to have little choice). OK so the bill was possibly more than I thought it would be on first sight of the menu online but considering the alcohol we had and the truly exceptional service it really was reasonable for a special night out with my old man who is not generally the easiest man to please. Despite being an hour away from home I really would consider going there again.

• Visited November 2012

Fuschia1
“Great restaurant, be aware of the service charge.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Visited Tudors after having read the reviews on this site. Not too impressed to start with, we arrived before 6.00 and had a drink in the bar and a member of staff had left us menus to peruse but no-one came back to us when the restaurant opened to see if we wanted to order. My husband had to go off in search of a member of staff as the bar was deserted. We ordered our food at the bar and were given the option of eating in the restaurant which we accepted. The food was excellent and the service attentive. I was a little aggrieved when the bill arrived to find there is a compulsory service charge of 12.5% as I would prefer to chose myself how much gratuity I leave and, given that a) we had ordered our food at the bar having had to track down a member of staff, and b) we were one of only two tables of diners in the restaurants and it was just the two of us eating, I do feel this could have been waived. Aside from this though, we very much enjoyed our meal and would consider eating there again.

• Visited September 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
“Needs more publicity!!!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had a wonderful meal at Tudors restaurant, a few weekends ago. The bar was very busy but the restaurant was quiet (perhaps people don't know the hotel has a restaurant?) Decor was lovely (cosy and romantic) and the staff were very polite and hospitable. We had two courses and the food was excellent. Good sized portions and nice quality. The wine list was quite varied and not too expensive. After our meal the manager brought us complimentary drinks which was a lovely surprise. This restaurant really is a hidden gem and its a shame its not more well-known. We live in St Albans and will definitely be visiting again soon.

• Visited September 2012
London
“Really good food and service at fair prices.”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Having moved to St Albans recently, I was looking got somewhere for lunch with my parents that was a bit more than standard pub Grub.
We went here based on tripadvisor reviews alone as from the outside it looks a touch naff and touristy advertising haunted history tours.
The food was really good and the service also excellent. The only things I could see being an issue (although they weren't at all for us) were that it took a long time for each course to arrive and that the restaurant was pretty much empty. If you're focused alone on food and a great ambience and aren't in a hurry, I'd give it a try. I will definitely be going back.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food, first-class service”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We ate here for our wedding anniversary on Saturday 11th August having been attracted by the news of a new chef. The setting is a little dark but rather romantic, in a wood-panelled room lit by candles. The waiting staff were extremely welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. We began with a cocktail, which although was a little pricey, was fabulous and we later discovered that the cocktail list is made up of original recipes devised by the staff - a nice touch! The menu is varied and interesting and both starters and mains were delicious. Portion sizes are substantial without being OTT. An excellent eating experience, and one we hope to repeat very soon.

• Visited August 2012