“Very Poor Show!!”

Ranked #242 of 344 Restaurants in St. Albans
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At The Ancient Briton Harvester in St Albans food is fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. Choose your tasty grill, sauce and side at our restaurant and we'll get cooking - while you head off to the famous Harvester salad bar to grab as much crisp, freshly prepared tasty salad as you like.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Last night my husband and I went to the Harvester in St. Albans for a quick meal before going on to the evenings entertainment, so we didn't want to spend more than and hour or so eating. On arrival we were told that they had one waitress and the lady at the door, no other floor staff, NOBODY serving in the bar either. Yet the place was fairly full and she had just admitted a party of four ahead of us.
We opted to find somewhere else ..... For an establishment of that size I expected better. Will they follow Comet, Jessops, JJB Sports and the others???

Reviewed February 2, 2013

What can you say it's cheap. It's local to us. So that's the good points. The bad are quite a few. Try as I may I just can't eat food where under the table are pieces of chicken or chips or other discarded food from the previous couple of diners before me. We asked the waitress to sit elsewhere or If she could brush the grunge under the table. The food is passable a and the place always busy, because its cheap but basic hygiene should not be something that's compromised
You can't book a table so expect a wait and god help you if you are more than six . They can't cope But hey it's cheap or is it nasty?

1  Thank markjo90
Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was freezing outside. We stopped for a quick bite to eat. Ended up staying for ages. Staff greeted us were really friendly. Food arrived hot and delicious. Large menu to choose from. Salad bar was fresh and had a good choice. It was repleneshed regularly. The place is very clean. Staff very professional. They could not do enough for us. Very reasonable price. I would go as far as saying cheap. Dinner for 2 with drinks came to under £20. We were very relaxed full and happy. Dont normally get that from a family restaurant. There were a few large family groups but we were still looked after extremely well even though they were buzy. Well done.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Can't believe how busy this place was for a dirty, loud restaurant with squelchy carpets covered in spilt food and drink. Absolute hell. And the food wasn't much better. The chicken and salad is ok but rest of the food is packaged and or microwaved. Just wrong.

Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

On arrival with my husband, a toddler, a newborn and our two friends we were seated quickly.

We ordered our food and drinks came promptly. When our food arrived we realised we didn't have any cutlery. I had to search for a server to get some. We also realised our table had no condiments and another table offered us theirs until we could ask our waitress for some. We also asked for Mayo and were told that there was none left. Really? At 1pm??

My husbands meal was supposed to come with a curry sauce which was absent from his plate, again we had to ask for this along with our absent extra portion of chips that we had ordered.

On the plus side the food was very nice.