“Excellent location and lovely suite”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Albans
Tankerfield House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 15 St. Albans B&B and Inns
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Excellent location and lovely suite”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We recently stayed at Tankerfield House with our 3 month old baby on our first trip away from home (apart from staying with relatives). Jacqui very helpfully allocated us the green suite which has its own sitting room, so that gave us plenty of space for all of our bags and travel cot. I have to say it was really lovely having the separate sitting area rather than being squashed into just one room.

Jacqui and Alberto were friendly, relaxed and accommodating hosts and we very much enjoyed our stay. The room was lovely and the location was excellent - right opposite the cathedral and very easy to find. My only comment (not even serious to be a complaint) was that the boiler in our bathroom made quite loud noises at times and there seemed to be frequent gurgling water noises presumably from the radiator in the room, but I quickly got used to these and they did not disturb my sleep at all.

If we are ever near St Albans again I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: The green suite does not have a pretty view over the cathedral but it does have a separate sitting r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

What a find this B&B is, embarrassing to admit when I lived in the town for 20 years or so!!
Located right opposite the Cathedral and at the bottom of a small street lined with eateries it really has the spot. It's a maximum of 5 minutes walk to the city centre, 30 seconds to your first restaurant...
Jacqui is a great host and was very patient with 2 weary travellers. Beaming smile and warm welcome took us through the period door and we were immediately relaxed. There are only 3 rooms and at the price they are(£55 we paid B&B) they will go fast so book well in advance.
A good explanation of the room facilities and where everything was then we were left to relax. Jacqui is very knowledgable on n the area and history of the house..I stayed in a room once used by Sir Cliff Richard! -the red room.
regardless of room mchoice, there is no external noise. I slept soooooo well.
The decor is really original and no two rooms are the same. This level of individuality should be applauded as it can be so boring staying in the bland chains.
Breakfast is self service for cereals,toast theN Alberto turns his hand to the hot stuff. I opted for poached eggs and they came exactly as requested... I understand that Alberto also has a restaurant in nearby Hemel Hempstead, somewhere I shall try when I get the chance.
Currently they only accept cash for payment, fully understandable given the charges banks are levying on cards.

All in all, I love this place and sorry mum but when I come back down to visit....I'm check availability here. Great value, even possibly undercharging. Support this place, ,it deserves to be recognised.

Ps I am not related in anyway to the owners!!! I just feel credit where credit is due.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Spongegod
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed there for few nights and loved it! Great location, had really easy access to the town main shops and places and bus stops and the rooms were very comfortable, cosy and with great facilities. The breakfast is lovely as well, great way to start the day. Thanks to Jackie and Alberto, will definitely come back there again :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
stroud
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have just returned from a night away in St Albans. From start to finish our stay at Tankerfield House was so lovely. Jacqui greeted us and showed us to a delightful room, the white room, with beautiful views of the Abbey. It was so peaceful. The following morning we came down to a delicious breakfast . We now look forward to returning. Thank you both very much!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My daughter and I stayed in The Green Suite and I must say we could not fault it in any way. Luxury accomadation at an excellent price, very clean and friendly with a fantastic breakfast. Well done Alberto and Jacqueline:-):-)

• Stayed December 2012
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife found it! So convenient for our daughter's evening graduation ceremony on 22 November.
The rooms we booked were all so lovely, with really comfy beds and lovely furnishings, so different from standard hotel rooms! We admired Jaqui's taste enormously!
It's hard work for the owners when guests stay just one night, like us, but this place is so well located that longer stays must be the norm. On the doorstep is the city centre and loads of eating places.
Breakfast, of course, is the important bit next morning! There' nothing much better than a full English to set you up for a busy day out and about, and it was great. make sure you book in advance to make sure you get a vacancy.

Room Tip: The Cathedral's bells chime through the night, they said from the front room. At the back we did...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I were looking for last minute accommodation last week for our daughter's graduation at St Albans Cathedral.
I rang up and spoke to Jacqui who said she had 1 room left so we grabbed it.
The building is a delightful Edwardian/Victorian? townhouse with original features, but what makes it special is the contents - lots of antique furniture and mirrors that they have collected from France over some time.
We stayed in the white room - lovely and spacious, very clean, large en-suite, nicely decorated, classy French antique bed.
The house also has parking for 2 cars (which we were not charged extra for) and the location was perfect for us - right opposite the cathedral!
Jacqui recommended a nice pub for us on the night of our arrival - the Ten Bells I think - where we had a few drinks in front of an open fire.
Breakfast in the morning was superb - full English freshly cooked from scratch and with free flowing coffee.
This is a great little B+B run by lovely people - I whole heartedly recommend.
We shall be returning!