“Needs a little TLC”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St. Albans
UK
“Needs a little TLC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed as part of the Lazy Sunday package, which value wise was OK. The food was excellent and drinks etc reasonably priced. Our spa treatments were also excellent and left us feeling very relaxed. The pool and sauna area I found completely under whelming and like other reviewers have noted noticed broken tiles etc. I expected much more from this area and it just didn't deliver. The hotel in general needs a little TLC (I believe there are plans for refurbishment), bedrooms were more travel lodge in style and extremely hot in the night, but we had a standard room and the bed was huge and comfy. The following morning we had no hot water, I went down to reception to let them know but staff made me feel like I was saying it was their fault, which really wasn't the case, I can understand that these things happen especially as we stayed during a really cold and snowy snap.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at Sopwell House, and I am pleased that you found the bed comfortable, the spa treatments very relaxing, the food excellent and the drinks value for money. I am very sorry that you had a problem with your hot water in the morning and I appreciate your understanding on this matter.

As you have said, there is indeed a phased refurbishment planned for certain areas of the hotel with phase 1 already started in the changing rooms of the spa and country club. The following phases will address the remainder of the country club and spa, the hotel public areas and the bedrooms. In the meantime my maintenance team are continuing to resolve any issues as they arise so that we can present Sopwell in the best possible way to our guests. I will ensure that my maintenance manager is made aware of your comments.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

Stayed in this hotel last weekend on Lazy Sunday package and have got rather mixed feelings. It's not luxurious for a fact but have to say has got some good potential. It looks like they are trying to do best with what they have got and some money needs spending to put this hotel onto correct level. Good things first: The service throughout the hotel was great and there was many staff available to assist. Spa treatment was great and again we felt welcome and well looked after. Libarary and little function rooms were spot on and great to relax in. But: the whole place is in need of redecoration, pool area has got some cracked tiles, the stairs from mens lockers are all shabby and look dirty. Sauna has got some half attached, burned and melted signs, doors leading to swimming pool had a broken glass all taped in the place and next to shabby venician blinds and laundry room was open so it all looked not too great. Our room had broken shower with loads of limescale and there was no water in the room, which was annoying as the heater and aircon were not working to satrt with and then blasting hot air which made me wake up all dry in the middle of the night. The main entrance area was so cold it made us concerned whether we really wanted to stay there and walk around in bathrobes. Over all it looks like this hotel is living the life of its old good days and holding to reputation by covering all cracks with good service. With some basic repairs andhelp with good interior designer it could ba a grand place. At the moment it is not.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, December 11, 2010
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Sopwell House.

I am pleased to read that you had excellent customer service throughout your stay and in particular the spa and treatments.

With regard to your comments about the appearance of some aspects of the country club, I can assure you that we have already contracted a designer and contractor team to totally refurbish the changing rooms and access areas to the changing rooms. Work commences early January. Phase 2 of the refurbishment programme covers the pool, sauna, steam room, etc.

I am sorry that you had some difficulties with the heating and water in your bedroom and do hope my my maintenance team were able to rectify them for you without causing you too much inconvenience. Similarly, my maintenance team were working to improve the ambient temperature of the reception area, but as it is a large glass walled and glass roofed structure, retaining heat in these adversely low temperatures is proving difficult.

With our rolling refurbishment programme in progress, I do hope that you will be able to take the opportunty in the future to revisit Sopwell to enjoy the environment as well as the excellent service.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.
snowmansam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

We were probably put in the cheap rooms, but i can guess these probably aren't that cheap if you are paying for it. Beds were big and comfy but the furnishings were a little run down and the bedrooms need redecorating. The bathrooms were ok, but not fantastic, all in all if you had to stay here it is perfectly fine, the grounds are nice and the bar opens late. The free apples at the front desk were a great touch and the Breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank snowmansam
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
At Sopwell we are continually reinvesting back into the hotel to ensure that all public areas, bedrooms, conference and banqueting rooms, etc, are maintained and presented to the high standard our guests expect, so I am surprised that this guest found the room to be below par. I will of course have my maintenance team investigate this immediately.

On a positive note, I was pleased to read that the beds were very comfy, breakfast was good and advantage was taken of the grounds and other hotel facilities.

Whilst I don't agree with the title of this review, I am pleased to note that this guest will still recommend Sopwell to Friends and Family and I do hope they will return themselves to enjoy Sopwell again in the future.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

Enjoyed a very pleasent stay at Sopwell House on one of their special packages.

Our room was very comfortable with an exceptionally comfortable bed and great shower (note - very high step into bath) with the added bonus of proper bath sheets!
I guess the only negative comments we could make would be around noisy air-conditioning, which was neccessary as the room was very warm. We were also a little dissapointed that the hotel fails to supply bottled water in the room (even if not complimentary).

Our package included a 5 course taster menu with Sommeliers choice of wines.
We both thouroughly enjoyed the starters and especially the main course, which was a duo of duck, which we felt was cooked to perfection!
We picked at dessert which was a little rich for us, but we arent really that sweet toothed, however the cheese plate was delicious and all courses accompanied with choices from very acceptable Chablis, Pinotage, Rioja and dessert wine.
The restaurant was busy and had a nice ambience.

I guess my only real negative surrounds the spa, where i feel that it needs some refurbishments, mainly in the sauna and swimmimg pool area. One of the jacuzzi`s wasnt working and its a little off -putting seeing burnt and unreadable notices inside the sauna.
I also quite like steam rooms that are a haven of quiet serenity (no matter how busy), however, the steam room was noisier than a crowded train!.....but that is not i accept a genuine complaint!! - it could be hotter though!!!!!

Not the quickest hotel to check out, but overall a very enjoyable and relaxing stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Sopwell House and I am pleased that you had an enjoyable time with us.

Our 5 course taster menu, and accompanying wines, is a popular package and our kitchen team put alot of time and effort into creating these interesting menus. I'm pleased that you enjoyed it despite not having such a sweet tooth !

I am sorry that the air conditionning was noisy in your room and can assure you that my housekeeping team are identifying the room in question to enable maintenance to resolve the problem.

With regard to the swimming pool and sauna area, we do have plans for a refurbishment in this area which will indeed address all the points you have raised, but in the meantime I have asked my maintenance team to rectify any points they can prior to the refurbishment. I can confirm that the jacuzzi has been repaired and the steam room temperature has been adjusted.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to return to Sopwell in the near future.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

My boyfriend and I had a lovely overnight stay at Sopwell House on the Freetime Friday package. Here are our thoughts:

Room: The room was very nicely decorated and very comfortable. The shower was excellent. A minor gripe was that I was absolutely roasting hot throughout the night and had to put the air con on to try and cool the room down, which is slightly unusual in November. My boyfriend wasn’t as bothered but I generally like a cool bedroom.

Brasserie: Had a nice modern feel to it (we thought it actually looked nicer than the restaurant, but that’s a personal preference). We ate from the set menu and the meal was absolutely delish! We couldn’t fault it in any way. The service was also excellent and all of the staff were very attentive.

Spa: We both had massages which we both agreed were lovely, and the staff very helpful. The treatment prices actually weren’t as inflated as I’ve seen in other spa hotels, indeed if we’d had more time I’d have had booked more for myself. The pool, sauna, steam and Jacuzzi were perfectly adequate if slightly dated compared to other spa hotels I’ve been to…a few missing tiles here and there, warped signs in the sauna and steam and the handle that you used to get into the Jacuzzi was a bit wobbly. The pool was also a quite cold, so you had to keep swimming to keep you warm. The Jacuzzi also wasn’t as warm as I’m used to.

All in All: We both had a very nice relaxing time. As my boyfriend had surprised me it felt all the more special. The staff were excellent and the facilities very good. We would definitely like to return to Sopwell in the near future.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
I am delighted to read that you had a very enjoyable stay with us recently and in particular had wonderful treatments and a great meal in the Brasserie.

Thank you for your comments about the bedroom heating and the pool area. All the heating and cooling is adjustable in the bedrooms, but I will have this checked in case there is a minor maintenance issue to resolve. Similarly, the pool area is indeed due for refurbishment in the not too distant future which will alleviate the 'dated' feel you mentioned.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at Sopwell House.
st.albans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

We stayed for the lazy sunday package.Although it was busy for the evening meal Sunday the staff were calm,friendly and paid attention to every tables needs. The food was lovely and well presented.we have been to Sopwell house for different occasions over the last 10 years and always been very pleased. We will be back soon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback about your recent visit to Sopwell on the Lazy Sunday package. I am pleased you had such a relaxing stay and that the staff in the Brasserie looked after you well. I will of course pass on your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Exmoor National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

As a business traveller I found this hotel excellent and extremely efficient. Good food, great atmosphere in the bistro and most of all a great night's sleep. Lovely quiet setting so near the town.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
I am really pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay at Sopwell recently, in particular the efficient and professional service received and of course a good nights sleep.

I do hope that you have the opportunity to return to Sopwell soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Albans
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,682 reviews
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel
Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!