Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
2,919 results
All reviews spa break afternoon tea cocktail lounge full body massage breakfast and lunch spa facilities executive room brasserie restaurant lovely spa steam room sandwiches birthday treat my mum course dinner special occasion changing rooms waiting staff
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The grounds are very nice as is the new conservatory and breakfast is ok ,.The reception is grand and staff very helpful but it’s a chocolate box with not many chocolates in side .I have travelled a lot and this is the ist place where after a treatment I am told I have to pay £100 upgrade to use the new spa .The old spa pool and facilities were very small and over crowed and we could not even find a vacant lounger .For a Hôtel with all these bed rooms the old spa is too small .
The bar was good but the main restaurant was shocking .For our main meal we had fish and the portion was so small and tasteless .it was over priced and we were starving afterwards .This was not fine dining it was just taking advantage of the customer
The wine list was sad and when we did find a good Whire wine it arrived warm .
The bedroom were dated and no better than a very average travel lodge .
I think the hotel needs to decide on who their customer is and focus .
While the reception areas are uplifting and new the bedrooms are shabby so instead of disappointing the customer with that overcrowded spa you should show goodwill and uplift their experience by allowing them to use the new spa .My treatment was fine but being charged extra for the Spa is the reason I would not go back again . I would rather pay extra and go to the Grove and get a solid good quality Luxury experience .

Date of stay: January 2020
AngelinaChua, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

My team and I are very disappointed to read your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Our 2 AA Rosette restaurant receives many compliments about the choice, quality and value. The Chef in the 2 AA rosette Restaurant that you have dined in, designs his menu for guests enjoyment of a three-course meal and therefore the portions are reflected to ensure that diners enjoy not only every course but the complimentary canapes and amuse bouche. The Restaurant Manager and his team are happy to explain any dish on the menu in more detail to our guests when asked.

The Spa is very popular with our guests and we do carry out regular poolside checks to remove towels from loungers that guest who have left the area but still be reserving a lounger. Guest can of course choose to upgrade to the inner sanctum of The Club and this is clearly detailed on our website and on the email confirmation you would have received.

It is regrettable that you did not find your room to your liking and that we were not given a n opportunity to rectify this during your stay. As Sopwell House is not a purpose built Hotel the rooms are all individual in size and presentation.

I am sorry that you have chosen not to stay with us again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited Sopwell House for afternoon tea as a birthday present for my Nan. The grounds are beautiful and the drive through St Albans is lovely. All the staff make everything as perfect as possible for you, opening doors, showing you where to go and go above and beyond to make sure you're happy. Our waitress, Yaelle, was brilliant. She was friendly, attentive and always made sure we had enough tea, water, sandwiches or if we needed anything else. My Nan also thought she was lovely and went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. Thanks so much!!! Will definitely be back - there's talk of the whole family coming back for Nan's next birthday.

Date of stay: January 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your recent afternoon tea to celebrate your nans birthday.

My team and I are delighted that you had such a perfect time with us and Yaelle thanks you for the personal mention.

We look forward to welcoming the whole family back to celebrate your nans next birthday.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently enjoyed an afternoon here with my partner. The staff, namely Mirian and Nicoletta, were very helpful and professional. They were friendly and Mirian helped us choose the right bottle for the occasion! I look forward to our next visit.

Date of stay: January 2020

My team and I are delighted you had such a lovely afternoon tea experience with us.

Mirian and Nicoletta thank you for the personal mention and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

We visited Sopwell House for afternoon tea . Beautiful place located in lovely area. The afternoon tea was excellent , freshly made sandwiches , cakes and scones . One of the best egg and chicken sandwiches I have had . Service was brilliant and staff very professional and friendly . Would definitely recommend this place for tea for a special occasion .

Trip type: Traveled with family
AngelinaChua, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your recent afternoon tea experience and for your recommendation.

My team and I are delighted you had such an excellent time and Chef is delighted that you had the best sandwiches you have ever had.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2020 via mobile

Came to Sopwell House for a night with my other half just after Christmas. We booked an executive room as part of the festive fizz package and upon arrival were made to feel very welcome. Once we got up to our room we found a bottle of Prosecco which was lovely. We made use of the pool, sauna, steam room etc straight away and I had a lovely massage in the spa which was wonderful. We had dinner that night in the brasserie and a few drinks in the cocktail lounge. Every single staff member we came across were so polite and friendly, always saying hello. Food at dinner and breakfast the following morning was lovely with plenty of choice. The only thing we didn’t like was we didn’t find the bed at all comfortable as it was far too soft for us. But I know it’s down to personal preference so we couldn’t complain. Would definitely stay again! Thank you Sopwell House for making our child free night as lovely as possible!

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
AngelinaChua, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your recent festive fizz stay with us.

My team and I are delighted that you had such a wonderful experience and a lovely child free night away.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.