Sopwell House
Ardmore House(St. Albans)
$106
$90
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans(St. Albans)(Great Value!)
$73
$59
$61
$56
Torrington Hall(St. Albans)
$123
$112
St Agnells Farm(St. Albans)
$134
$130
Hotels.com
The White Hart Hotel(St. Albans)(Great Value!)
$127
$173
Fleuchary House No. 29(St. Albans)(Great Value!)
$91
178 London Road(St. Albans)(Great Value!)
$72
TripAdvisor
2,516 results
All reviewsspa breakafternoon teacocktail loungefull body massagespa areabreakfast and lunchlovely spaexecutive roomhead butlerterrace barbrasserie restaurantsteam roomspa staffbirthday treatsandwichesrelaxing weekendmy mum
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We had a two night break over the Easter weekend. The hotel is warm and comfortable. The bedroom was lovely with all the necessary facilities. We ate in the Brassiere where the atmosphere is really nice. The food and service were great. We also made good use of the Leisure centre... the pool and spa were fantastic. It's also in a good location to visit lots of places in the area. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2010

Thank you for your positive feedback and I am pleased you had such a pleasant break at Sopwell House. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2010

My friends and I recently stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. We were a bit concerned about booking the hotel due to some of the negative reviews, however the management put to rest our concerns. From the moment we booked to the time we left I found the staff to be very friendly and professional. The rooms and the hotel were lovely. Initially we had one or two issues with our rooms but these were resolved quickly and it did not spoil our weekend break. We had breakfast and dinner (brasserie)at the hotel and we could not fault either the food or the staff. A good time was had by all of my party and we would definitely recommend this hotel. A big thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I am really pleased you and your friends had such a lovely stay. I will ensure your kind comments are passed onto the hotel staff. I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Sopwell House soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed for one night over Easter weekend in a Junior Suite. the room was very nice a quiet, but there were some tell-tale signs that a refurb is in order. The showers plumbing had been installed wrong, and what we though was the "hot" setting was actually the "cold"; we thought we didn't have any hot water until we figured it out!

The spa was lovely, and the staff were wonderfully professional and welcoming.
And the food was excellent (we ate at the main restaurant)

Unfortunately, the restaurants did not give any preference to hotel guests. Especially on a busy Easter weekend. We were unable to even have lunch after we had checked-out which was disappointing.

Overall, this was a lovely break, and would recommend to others, providing the price is right.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I am pleased that in general, you had an enjoyable stay at Sopwell House.

I will ensure that my maintenance team rectify the plumbing issues you have mentioned within their ongoing maintenance programme.

Your kind comments about the Restaurant and Spa have been passed on to the deaprtments, and I thank you for giving us this feedback. I am of course disappointed that we could not fit you in for lunch, and I hope that this did not detract from your overall enjoyment of your stay.

Reviewed April 5, 2010

I booked a Spa day for my mum and I at Sopwell House.
We both received lunch, treatments and use of the facilities for 109 pounds so I thought it was a good deal.
The lunch was delicious, one of the best buffets I have ever had! The desserts were gorgeous.
We also received free tea/coffee, so after the treatments sat in the terrace bar and had a good chat and enjoyed our tea.
We both enjoyed it very much, and leaving I felt completely refreshed and re energised!
We will book another Spa Day at Sopwell House in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2010

Thank you for your kind feedback and I am really pleased you and your mother had such a fantastic spa day at Sopwell. I do hope to able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

We booked a Freetime Friday package recently and were looking forward to a relaxing break for my fiances birthday. Unfortunately a room with no view, a dated spa and a dissapointing dinner in the brasserie left us feeling underwhelmed, especially after paying £230. It was such poor value it made me think what it would have cost if the room, dinner and breakfast had been purchased seperately. I did the maths and it seemed to suggest it would have cost less than the package we assumed was good value. We were advised this eventuality should be mentioned by the reservation staff at the time of booking, it was not. After a few emails with the management they finally awknowledged the package cost less than the individual components but they would not refund the difference. Not a completely bad place and the staff in the Spa were very agreable, however it does not offer value for money and beware of their packages.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
PhilipCox, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2010

I am pleased to read that this guest found that the staff offered good service and was generally happy with the hotel.

It is therefore unfortunate that this guest has felt it necessary to air his dissatisfaction of the package he booked in this public forum. The package booked was our Freetime Friday package and it is priced competitively once all elements of the package are taken into consideration. The 'value for money' of the package depends on the price of the bedroom which fluctuates on a daily basis. On the date this guest stayed there was very little difference between the individual prices of the package elements (Accommodation, Dinner for 2 people, Breakfast for 2 people, £40 towards Spa treatments and full use of our country club & spa facilities) and the package itself, therefore I would disagree that it does not offer value for money.

Our reservationists are all trained to offer anyone enquiring the best value way for them to book what they want at Sopwell. But, if a guest calls and specifically requests a particular package the reservationists will not challenge their request and will make the booking for them.

I hope that this response gives a more detailed background and explanation of the contributors comments.