2,659 results
All reviews spa break afternoon tea cocktail lounge full body massage breakfast and lunch spa facilities executive room head butler terrace bar brasserie restaurant lovely spa steam room birthday treat sandwiches my mum course dinner relaxing stay
Reviewed August 12, 2015 via mobile

It's a very good and friendly hotel. We enjoyed our stay, good room, spa area nice and the afternoon tea was excellent. Only downside was the wifi not fully functional on the 2nd floor which I complained about over 2days and our service charge was waived on check out. Thanks

Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple
Derek H, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2015

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely and rewarding review of Sopwell House following your recent stay.

I am delighted you had such an enjoyable visit and that you particularly enjoyed our speciality afternoon tea.

I apologise that our complimentary Wifi was not fully functional at the time of your visit and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 12, 2015

All very acceptable. friendly staff. nice rooms, quiet location. great food. bar very well stocked and large with outdoors. good conference venue as long as groups not too large. ours was 40. all had fun.

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled on business

Dear Guest

First of all, thank you very much for your business and for choosing Sopwell House to hold your recent conference.

We are very proud to have been announced as the winner of the 2015 Condé Nast Johansens Awards for Excellence in the category ‘Best for Meetings’ recently and so I am delighted that this was also your experience.

We look forward to warmly welcoming you back again and thank you again for your positive comments and 5 star review.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 11, 2015

We thought Sopwell House was really good, particularly the Spa area and pool. The food was also excellent, the room was good and the staff helpful. The only complaint was that we got locked out of our room before our 3pm check out.

There is a quirk to this hotel which is quite marked and is that the hotel and the clientele don't match up. The hotel has a classy feel to it but if you expect to be rubbing shoulders with the London set you're going to be disappointed. It didn't bother us but was very apparent during our stay.

Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Sopwell House.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and were happy with the food, facilities and service in particular.

Check out is usually 11am (unless a late check-out has been arranged) and this may be why your key card had expired but I sincerely hope this did not inconvenience you too much.

We really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback and I hope we can warmly welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 11, 2015

We stayed here for my wife's birthday. The room we had (can't remember the number) overlooked the carpark, but that wasn't a problem. Check-in was quick and easy, and there didn't seem to be lots of people there. We were assisted with luggage to our room, not strictly necessary, but helpful as we were on the third floor. Room was air-conditioned, and spacious, by which I mean big.

First thing I noticed was that whenever we passed any member of staff in the corridors or halls, they stood to one side to let us pass - that felt really nice.

We knew the hotel catered for weddings, so weren't surprised when we ventured out to the terrace to find a wedding in progress, with photographs being taken in the grounds - but that did't impact upon us at all, as we sat at one of the tables for a drink.

For dinner we booked into the restaurant, and had great service - the staff were on hand for anything we needed (we had a rather different experience, as you might expect, at Prezzo in St. Albans the following night!), and that helped the whole luxury feel.

The following morning, another wedding started around 9am (an Asian wedding, I think), with a band playing outside the window - but that was quite fun to watch, and again, didn't impact us.

Breakfast was the standard buffet affair on both days, although the second morning was rather busier, so we were in the conservatory, which was slightly better.

I didn't get to use the spa, although my wife did (24 hour cancellation notice, so beware).

Free (completely free - no sign-in pages etc) wifi throughout.

All in all, a great place to stay, with no noise from the weddings heard in our room.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
Derek H, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2015

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review of Sopwell House.

I am so pleased you embraced all the things we love about the hotel and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.

It is really so lovely to receive such wonderful comments and so we really appreciate you taking the time to give us your valuable and enjoyable feedback.

I hope we will see you both again very soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2015 via mobile

We stumbled upon a great little Sunday deal to stay at Sopwell House as a last minute booking and probably the last relaxing couples time before our first baby is born. What a great little discovery it was. We had the four poster suite with breakfast and full use of the facilities which was utterly faultless. It's in a gorgeous and tranquill setting and seems to cater for all needs. A must visit for the guys, with a serious collection of signed football shirts but don't worry ladies, they also have a lovely spa, lounge and cocktail bar (sadly not something I could try on this occasion.) We had lunch in the brasserie ( there is another option which was on the terrace) it's a much less formal affair. The chef in the brasserie was extremely knowledgable and helpful with ingredients and what would be suitable for me to eat. This information came voluntarily and made me feel at ease straight away. Great guy! The meal was delicious but a touch expensive for lunch. Note to Sunday guests; we had intended on dining in the main restaurant for dinner but found it to be shut Sunday's and Monday's which was a great shame. Despite myself not being able to use the majority of the spa facilities due to being pregnant, my husband reports that it very relaxing and enjoyable. All in all it was a most pleasant and relaxing stay with a great array of Dan Hillier pieces to enjoy if art is your thing.

Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review of Sopwell House.

I am delighted you had such a relaxing time with us and that the team looked after you so well. I can imagine this was precious time indeed with your pending arrival!

We have some great Sunday offers and so I can highly recommend these. In terms of our lovely fine dining Restaurant, I can confirm this is open for Sunday lunch from 12.30.

On behalf of us all here at Sopwell House, best wishes and congratulations at this very exciting time and we look forward to seeing you again when you next need some TLC.