“There is something about Miriam!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sopwell House

Sopwell House
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in St. Albans
“There is something about Miriam!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Excellent facilities and nice rooms, sky box in our room made us feel at home. Bathroom was really good and the staff where excellent especially Miriam who was also very easy on the eyes, worth the visit alone.
The spa is fantastic and isn't full of little scrammels

Stayed October 2013
Alessandro C, General Manager at Sopwell House, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your 5 star review of Sopwell House following your recent stay.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your room and all the facilities and that you really felt at home in the hotel which is our aim.

I am also delighted the staff stood out and in particular that Miriam had such an impact on your stay!

Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope we will see you again very soon.

Best wishes

Alessandro Convertino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Central Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Just had 2 nights at Sopwell House,facilities excellent, food excellent(one of the best afternoon teas I have had a for a long time,good price and lovely food with coffee to die for),really comfy bed and very friendly and professional staff.Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review of Sopwell House following your recent two night stay.

Your review was delight to read and I am thrilled our friendly and professional team contributed to your ‘blissful stay’.

I am so glad you plan to return and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us.

Best wishes

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at Sopwell house during a business trip and I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. The hotel has good facilities, gym/spa, restaurants, location is good (for me anyway, nice and quiet setting). The rooms are adequate but a little dated but that is probably in the style of the building. In room TV has a good choice of freeview/freesat channels. Free WiFi throughout which was an added bonus as most hotels charge for this (the small things make the experience so much better). I dined in the brassiere on two occasions. The food is excellent and well presented. The tiramisu was superb (I have just returned from Milan and yet I preferred the Sopwell House version of this classic desert). Service is also excellent, highly attentive and friendly. Breakfast is also excellent, good choice, catering for all needs. I will definitely return for future business trips.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review following your business trip to Sopwell House recently.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and in particular your dining experiences at breakfast and in the Brasserie - our Executive Chef and his team are of course thrilled you preferred the Sopwell House version of Tiramisu over the version you had in Milan which is high praise indeed!

Thank you for your comments on your room and I am glad you appreciate the free WiFi and TV channels on offer. You may be aware that we have refurbished many of our bedrooms already and are in the process of completing this plan and so I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again and see for yourself the fabulous new standard we have achieved – they really are luxurious and I would love to know what you think.

In the meantime, thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at this special hotel (courtesy of my mum).

A really warm welcome - little things like porters opening the main door and welcoming you make such a difference!

Checked in quickly and directed to our room - which we absolutely couldn't fault (well read on....).

We decided to do a smooch around the hotel and noticed lots of other functions on (we lost count after the wedding, a company 50th bash, charity do).

Then we realised that our room was right above all the activity. We decided to speak to reception and ask about the noise levels and they couldn't guarantee we would not be affected so we asked if we could move. The lady on reception was one of the most professional I have come across in the many hotels i have stayed in. She recommended that we move to one of the rooms at the front of the hotel (called the mews). I can only describe these as small 2 story houses with a kitchenette, lounge and upstairs bedroom and bathroom. OK, they were not as nicely decorated as the rooms in the main hotel but perfectly acceptable and, guaranteed peace and quite! Perfect. All our cases and belongings were moved for us to the new room - no fuss.

We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the spa (even managed to get some sleep in one of the loungers by the pool). One complaint about the pool areas was that it was extremely hot and stuffy. Even though we did ask them to open a window or turn the fan on, it didn't seem to make a difference. We just put up with it.

We went into the brasserie for our evening dinner which was totally full. Even so, service was excellent and prompt and food the 3 course set menu was good value for money.

Breakfast the next day was good considering how full the hotel was. Good choice, again good service hot and tasty.

Overall, this hotel is fantastic. Without doubt, service is excellent, like a central London hotel.
The hotel did really well considering that it was so busy - so much going on but this was not reflected in the service or experience.

Thank you Sopwell house for making our stay so enjoyable. We'll be returning very soon.

Room Tip: If you're staying at weekends or when the hotel is busy, ask where your room is located - if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nigel S
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for choosing Sopwell House to celebrate your very special occasion recently and may I also take this opportunity to congratulate you on your anniversary.

I am thrilled you found the team to be welcoming and professional and that the service you received throughout your stay was excellent.

We are all certainly passionate about exceeding expectations and delivering great service and I am so delighted that we contributed to such an enjoyable stay.

Thank you again and we look forward to warmly welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards

Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Having stayed at sopwell hse numerous times over the last decade, I found my recent leisure break surpassed all expectations. Food, service and treatments were excellent and represent amazing value for money. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your delightful review of Sopwell House following your recent visit, particularly as a regular and loyal customer.

To have surpassed your expectations on your leisure break is wonderful reward in itself and your additional recommendation is truly appreciated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback on your visit and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Warm regards

Houston, TX. USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a great weekend at Sopwell House for a wedding. Even to our coming in early on the Thursday after a ten hour flight. Our room was ready early. Staff, very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was everything one could want and the wedding(Narain) went off superbly.

Room Tip: Ask for one near an elevator as corridors are long.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your fantastic 5 star review of Sopwell House following your recent visit.

I am aware the wedding celebration was indeed a wonderful occasion and I am delighted our helpful and friendly team looked after you so well after your long flight and managed to arrange an early check in.

Thank you also for your comments regarding our breakfast offering which our Executive Chef and his team always appreciate receiving.

I do hope you have the opportunity to visit us again when you are next in the UK as it would be a delight to welcome you back.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Kindest regards

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I literally just went there yesterday and I went by myself, I must say it is such a lovely tranquil place to be. the staff are lovely and helpful. the women who done my facial and full body massage was amazing, she took care of me and having problems with my back to took care of me and i must say feels amazing. being able to just be in my robe and slippers was bliss.
gym is cool, and the studio i personally loved my own little work out time. The only problem i have is the robe was massive for me....i was drowning in it thats my only downful but thats just me being short ha. staff are brilliant and the place is just beautiful. I am definately going again and have told my mum to go there next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Sopwell House following your recent visit.

I am so pleased you had such a delightful time and felt relaxed and spoiled by the team.

I look forward to welcoming you (and hopefully your mum!) back to the hotel in the very near future for another tranquil stay.

Thank you for taking the time to chare your experience.

Kindest regards

Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel
De Vere Hunton Park
De Vere Hunton Park
#1 of 1 in Hunton Bridge

Been to Sopwell House? Share your experiences!